+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ffp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????

Ffp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????

Fascinating article on the finances of Leeds and what it potentially means re FFP.

http://priceoffootball.com/tag/leeds-united/

I'm not great with financial analysis, so could someone confirm for me how much Leeds can 'lose' this year and still be within the FFP limits (still 39mill over 3 seasons)?
    From the operating losses graph it appears that Leeds lost 8.8M in 2016/17 and 19.9M in 2017/18...so does that mean they could 'safely' lose 10.3M for the 2018/19 season?
    If so...I'm going to assume they came close to that figure otherwise why the need to be so 'creative' in this transfer window? That also leaves us with only 9M wiggle room for 2019/20...that's not much, eh?

If you look at the EFL rules there is a whole section on it. It sets out what income doesn’t count and what losses can be ignored. Basically, they look at the last three years and there are allowed losses for each year and thus in total.

Whilst owners cannot simply pump money into the club, the big loophole is in relation to grounds where owners can buy the ground and lease back at no rent. That has typically been the best way to avoid FFP and we did it too

Yeah, I read that part about which losses can be ignored (U23 signings etc)...so does that mean its impossible to even guesstimate what we can net spend on transfers this summer? How 'creative' do they have to be?

How the fk are we losing so much money i thought the teams coming down where in danger of FFP mike ashley gets slaughtered by those geordie toss pots and that bloke makes money out of football you cannot win

I genuinely would like to know how/why we are losing so much money if anyone can tell me it would be genuinely appreciated.
    How come FFP is now an issue for us ? Every season numerous clubs in the championship spend huge sums on players without amy issues raised.
    We have never anything unless we sell first so i find this all mind boggling and the most obvious reason we dont get promoted.

I also don't understand, why we seem so strapped for cash , sure any sensible owner will only spend / invest what they can afford, and no doubt we do have quite a hefty wage bill etc - but with most home games being close to sell outs, decent ongoing advertising / sponsorship deals, no more high rent payments, and for the most, a decent season last, things appear pretty grim.
    Perhaps behind the scenes, we are still paying off the endless stream of former managers / excessive player deals from last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by bathlad61 View Post
    I also don't understand, why we seem so strapped for cash , sure any sensible owner will only spend / invest what they can afford, and no doubt we do have quite a hefty wage bill etc - but with most home games being close to sell outs, decent ongoing advertising / sponsorship deals, no more high rent payments, and for the most, a decent season last, things appear pretty grim.
    Perhaps behind the scenes, we are still paying off the endless stream of former managers / excessive player deals from last few years.

The clubs with parachute payments are massively advantaged. It is also a three year cycle so it might give you latitude one year but if you don’t get promoted you are then in trouble.

the biggest issue is all clubs spend far too much on player wages.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    The clubs with parachute payments are massively advantaged. It is also a three year cycle so it might give you latitude one year but if you don’t get promoted you are then in trouble.

the biggest issue is all clubs spend far too much on player wages.
    Not all clubs mate..

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)