+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Line up v Hearts

United seemed more determined and organised than the start of last season.

Shankland scoring from the header was good - but thought he drifted out of the match ( perhaps due to lack of service ).

Playing Hearts was a good test for the players, a few of the Hearts players were not fully fit, but the same could be said for a few of the United players too.

Overall, a draw against a good Hearts team is a decent result - if Clark had taken his two chances United would have won ( but Hearts were the better team ).

The introduction of Banks was something really unexpected - he looked great on the ball, running with the ball, taking on players with confidence and also good passing and distribution - he's only 17 years old, so a great prospect for this season and the future.

Agreed, United could have played better, but I would have accepted a 1-1 draw before kick off.

A decent result for the first competitive game of the season.

I didn't see the game at all but I'm looking at it like this - this stage last year we drew at home with Arbroath and lost on penalties. Now we draw away to Hearts and lose on penalties. I'll take that as an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Neilson isn't delusional just being positive as it wasn't
    wasn't as bad as people are making it, it's still pre season, that wasn't our strongest line up and was our most difficult game of our 40 fixtures currently scheduled this season, our two first choice CMs didn't start /play etc and we drew at Tynecastle, job done... It's about getting out the group

Who cares if our rivals are worried (now that's delusional to think they may be anyway) , you think they would worry us if we watched them at this stage of play?

That was an excellent fixture to have at this point, a touch one way from home, with three more fixtures to come and a friendly before the league season.. Some Utd fans are just happy to dwell on negativity about the club, think back to where we were as a club on and off the park 12-18 mths ago

We are very fortunate to have got owners like the Ogrens willing to invest and all the progression there has been since, we won't know if we have improved on the park properly for a 2-3 months yet, we aren't fully upto speed,we haven't played our strongest XI, we may still have additions to come and we have 3 weeks before championship kicks off
    I did say early days. More than happy to be proved wrong. Quite happy to revisit this post then and commend you on you're usual positivity.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Neilson isn't delusional just being positive as it wasn't
    wasn't as bad as people are making it, it's still pre season, that wasn't our strongest line up and was our most difficult game of our 40 fixtures currently scheduled this season, our two first choice CMs didn't start /play etc and we drew at Tynecastle, job done... It's about getting out the group

Who cares if our rivals are worried (now that's delusional to think they may be anyway) , you think they would worry us if we watched them at this stage of play?

That was an excellent fixture to have at this point, a touch one way from home, with three more fixtures to come and a friendly before the league season.. Some Utd fans are just happy to dwell on negativity about the club, think back to where we were as a club on and off the park 12-18 mths ago

We are very fortunate to have got owners like the Ogrens willing to invest and all the progression there has been since, we won't know if we have improved on the park properly for a 2-3 months yet, we aren't fully upto speed,we haven't played our strongest XI, we may still have additions to come and we have 3 weeks before championship kicks off
    You say some fans are content to dwell on negativity about the club? I hope you're not referring to me as one of them. The last thing I want is to be negative but I will always be prepared to be honest in my opinions and not give them through Tangerine tinted specs.

There WERE some positives, but also many negatives. The biggest one being imo that the coach hasn't managed to get us playing to a fluid style yet.

Having a squad of players good enough to win the championship is only part of his job, the other part is to put together a TEAM that wouldn't need too much additions and change when stepping up a league.

Shankland scored a lot of goals in an Ayr side that knew how to create for him. Luckily we did do that once last night and he delivered. If we play like that for 90 minutes every week will be a hard shift for him to find the same strike level. Expecting McMullan to be an outball in his own half is wasting the threat he offers. Not addressing the weak link at CB, there's a long list and it's not anti Neilson or negativity to talk about it.

I agree it's early, and as I said there were some positives but I'm still waiting to see us settled into a side with a blend, with fluidity, with creativity, and until we do I'll keep being constructively critical. You shouldn't be having a pop at fans who are. Yes we're better than last July, but is utter sh1te the yardstick by which you measure improvement? Any fan off the terraces could have improved Csaba's shambles!

I actually don't think we're too far away, there was signs here and there last night. The league is the thing so the next games need to be about getting that blend right before ICT visit Tannadice.

Quote Originally Posted by duke_the_arab View Post
    I did say early days. More than happy to be proved wrong. Quite happy to revisit this post then and commend you on you're usual positivity.

Not positive for the sake of it, thought last night was OK, I'm always measured but when there is a needless negativity about the fan base then it grinds, its stupid, this is time for enthusiasm, new league season dawns in three weeks

Hearts at Tynecastle dominated possession but what clear cut chances did they have? And that's an improved Hearts going by kickback, we limited them to half chances and had an open goal ourselves.

I think a few of the comments are a tad unfair considering we just got a draw in 90 minutes against a team that finished in the top half of the league we have failed to get promotion to.

Sporle must be given the chance to settle as he had a baptism of fire against a fine player who has something to prove. He has to play in all the cup games to get him ready for the league.

A couple of things.

1. Stoke, you are being quite negative.

2. Sporle had just come here from South America. What a change that is for the lad, in every way. Football and lifestyle. Got to give him time.

🙂

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    A couple of things.

1. Stoke, you are being quite negative.

2. Sporle had just come here from South America. What a change that is for the lad, in every way. Football and lifestyle. Got to give him time.

��
    If I'm being negative it's because I see negatives (which several posters agree with btw) and I'm prepared to confront them and discuss them.

I mentioned several positives too but you never mentioned that.

Sporle had a torrid first 45. He might turn out to be a great LB and I think everyone agrees that he should come straight back in so I'm not getting your comments about that at all.

Discussing negatives isn't a bad thing as such, it means you can see them, you want to address them and you want the team to get better.

A few posters including your good self seem only prepared to talk about the good things and put a gloss on or even ignore the problems. Which is fine if you live in a world where you see everything through Tangerine specs.

Happy with defensive shape and effort, just so hard to watch them losing the ball and the hopeless punts from Connolly. See better distribution from the lads at 5’s!

Striker too isolated and that needs to be fixed, Banks and Appéré seemed to bring back a spark, but won’t be the solution for a season in the championship next season. Banks looks a bit lightweight; will be a good impact player.

Don’t understand why Cammy Smith isn’t spear-heading midfield? He’s not really had a chance?

I just expected us to look more like a team that has played together before and have an understanding with one another.For me we still looked very disjointed and lacking confidence especially when pressed...where are our leaders?
    Re Sporle had a tricky start but obviously must be given some time to adjust.
    Teams in the championship will again be physical and try to press us looking at that display......early days as we all agree just disappointed in our all round play again.
    Yes it was pre season and Hearts but we were carved open time and again in the first half....if they had a decent striker we could have lost by a few!
    Time to improve so fingers crossed RN has us firing for the opening match v ICT as they seem to be doing ok so far in pre season??

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)