+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Martin Skrtel

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    IMO we need a new centre half and not one in his 30s. Keogh should be a shoe in for one spot. I don't think Davies will be the other. One reason is he's not a ball player and that is one of the things Cocu likes his defenders to be. Another is, I don't think he will be back to his best until 3/4 of the way through the season at best. Just like Fozzy wasn't last time and like Hughes and Bryson took a season to get back to their best. Davis is a very good defender but, like Forsyth, won't be ready for a while yet.

With Malone and Lowe, we are OK at left back for options, especially if Lowe has learnt not to dive in so quickly and so early.

At CH we have Lee Buchanan who was on the edge of the squad last season despite being just 18. He is a ball player, that fits the Cocu way. There will be those who say he is only 1.75m (5' 9" in old money) and is too small but the Dutch have had a lot of successful central defenders down the years who weren't 6' 6" man mountains. Will Lee fit the Cocu bill? We shall have to wait and see.
    I know nothing about Buchanan MA, but the idea of a season in the Championship with a 5’9’’ eigh**** year old CB doesn’t appeal.
    I know Tomori was about the same age but he was tall, strong and exceptional.
    It’s a physical division, given the attributes you describe maybe Buchanan could be fitted in as a CDM, but we need a big lad at CH...imo.
    I like Davies and Wisdom could work there too but they both have a lot to prove coming back from injury.

I've only seen him via RamsTV for the 18s and the 23s. If Cocu does go down the "Dutch" route, the lad may well get some game time this season.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I've only seen him via RamsTV for the 18s and the 23s. If Cocu does go down the "Dutch" route, the lad may well get some game time this season.
    MA I've seen quite a bit of him Not sure he's big enough for the Championship . Most teams have some big bruises up front and defence He is good on the ball but as central defender there is an awful lot of balls in air He's not for me at the moment . See they put Evans there last night If Cocu likes defenders who are good on the ball why are trying for Skertel. I would like him proper defender and leader

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    MA I've seen quite a bit of him Not sure he's big enough for the Championship . Most teams have some big bruises up front and defence He is good on the ball but as central defender there is an awful lot of balls in air He's not for me at the moment . See they put Evans there last night If Cocu likes defenders who are good on the ball why are trying for Skertel. I would like him proper defender and leader
    Evans played twice last season at CH and excelled in both games. One alongside Tomori and one alongside Keogh. He would be my choice to partner Keogh at the heart of the defence.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)