+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Neilson - Squad to be trimmed.

Neilson - Squad to be trimmed.

Robbie is in the tele tonight saying the squad needs to be trimmed, and as he mentioned we have used 30 players in the friendlies, i can see what he means. Add the injured Pawlett, Wardrop and Butcher to that and i would say we are 8-10 players too heavy.

So who is on your list to depart?

For me the obvious 2 not considered in the squad so far are Loemba and Aird who should have been dispatched before the squad came back.

Next im looking at Booth who i dont think is good enough every week, and Matty Smith has not attained an acceptable level and is being overtaken by younger players. After that, will Watson and Stanton be happy being squad players this season?

There does seem to be a number of youngsters who are on the verge of making the step up and i wonder if they will be given a chance to prove themselves as we head though the League Cup group matches. Appere, Chalmers, Banks and Mochrie seem to be the ones who could make the jump, but will any of them be loaned out?

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Robbie is in the tele tonight saying the squad needs to be trimmed, and as he mentioned we have used 30 players in the friendlies, i can see what he means. Add the injured Pawlett, Wardrop and Butcher to that and i would say we are 8-10 players too heavy.

So who is on your list to depart?

For me the obvious 2 not considered in the squad so far are Loemba and Aird who should have been dispatched before the squad came back.

Next im looking at Booth who i dont think is good enough every week, and Matty Smith has not attained an acceptable level and is being overtaken by younger players. After that, will Watson and Stanton be happy being squad players this season?

There does seem to be a number of youngsters who are on the verge of making the step up and i wonder if they will be given a chance to prove themselves as we head though the League Cup group matches. Appere, Chalmers, Banks and Mochrie seem to be the ones who could make the jump, but will any of them be loaned out?
    Can't argue with any of that, really. Also, since we're looking at the laddie Ben Hall I wonder if Freddie Frans is one to be punted as well. Clearly isn't really rated by Robbie and we have 5 others who can play CB already at the club.

the way im looking at it.
    weve just signed king which makes me suggest stanton has been told he can go (which some rumors are saying)
    If we sign this boy Hall then frans will be same as stanton.

Frans, Booth, Stanton, Aird, Yannick, Wardrop, M.Smith, with two of young boys maybe going on loan. thatll trim the squad down and leave us with enough i would say.

gk- Benji Deniz
    RB- Smith and Watson
    LB- Sporle and Robson
    CB- Connolly reynolds, Watson, Hall/Frans? and bouhenna
    DM- bouhenna and Butcher
    CM- King, Harkes. C.Smith(more a 10)
    W- Mcmullan, Pawlett, Robson, C.smith
    St. Clark, Sow And shankland

thats before any young guys possibly making an impact on the squad but that sounds like it should be enough. still think we're a Quality winger away conway?

For what its worth i would like to see us keep stanton as he does have some decent attributes just not consistent enough but with king coming in it doesnt look great for him

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)