+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Craig Levein

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    414

    Craig Levein

    Speaking fondly of his time at Tannadice. Came in and sorted the club out. Some great victories, great players and his interview after McCurraygate.
    Hope the fans give him a great reception tomorrow.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    18,107
    Love the guy, wish him well unless against us on Friday

    Completely changed the club for the better and it lasted for years beyond his time as his assistant Houstie carried it on and more

    His actual three years though was brilliant, built a very strong side, physically and could mix it and play, we also were a threat to Celtic and Rangers nearly every time we played they bar a few, both home and away, think there was a period of like 25 games against both where we lost maybe 8, a handful of wins, the rest draws, many in Glasgow too

    Also held our own at Hampden two years in a row against both cheeks, the final v Rangers 2008, 2-2 aet (cheated really with the pen not given) and the 0-0 aet semi with Celtic (11-10 on pens) 2009

    Plus the general atmosphere and crowds we got were excellent in those three years, more so than we had under Houston effects though we played better, scored more and won the cup (recession hit all clubs tbf), there was a great vibe in general, all the wins against the sheep, hearts and hibs home and away, plus the semi with the sheep at Tynecastle, classss

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    354
    Absolutely. We were in a bit of a mess before Levein came in, and he did a great job re*****ising the club and putting in place a structure to bring through new players. Also had a good eye for a player in the lower leagues and brought in the likes of Gomis & Bauben.

    It surprises me that he's not done better at Hearts than he has.

    Should always be given a warm welcome at Tannadice though. He did a lot for us. And it will have hurt him to have seen years of hard work by him an Houstie undone by the ineptitude of ST and his board.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,936
    Quote Originally Posted by cybershed View Post
    Absolutely. We were in a bit of a mess before Levein came in, and he did a great job re*****ising the club and putting in place a structure to bring through new players. Also had a good eye for a player in the lower leagues and brought in the likes of Gomis & Bauben.

    It surprises me that he's not done better at Hearts than he has.

    Should always be given a warm welcome at Tannadice though. He did a lot for us. And it will have hurt him to have seen years of hard work by him an Houstie undone by the ineptitude of ST and his board.
    As above, Sir Craig set foundations which allowed the progress of the likes of Armstrong, Watson, Goodwillie, Gauld, Russell, Souter, etc to develop into first team players so that in contrast to the preceding 10 years or so where it had been buy, buy and buy again under the likes of Tommy McLean, Alex Smith and then Jobbie McCall (shudder..) the Club was returning somewhere back to what it had been under Oor Jum where we were scouting and developing proper quality again. Then unfortunately, the Snake got his grubby little paws let loose on it and set the Club back 10 years minimum, at a stroke.

  5. #5
    Total admiration for Levein

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Then unfortunately, the Snake got his grubby little paws let loose on it and set the Club back 10 years minimum, at a stroke.
    We do seem to be unearthing some future gems again from the midst of all the bad times. I dont think any of them will reach the heights of Robertson and Armstrong, but Chalmers and Banks may prove me wrong.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    As above, Sir Craig set foundations which allowed the progress of the likes of Armstrong, Watson, Goodwillie, Gauld, Russell, Souter, etc to develop into first team players so that in contrast to the preceding 10 years or so where it had been buy, buy and buy again under the likes of Tommy McLean, Alex Smith and then Jobbie McCall (shudder..) the Club was returning somewhere back to what it had been under Oor Jum where we were scouting and developing proper quality again. Then unfortunately, the Snake got his grubby little paws let loose on it and set the Club back 10 years minimum, at a stroke.
    Yeah, and it's amazing how so much good work can turn to dust if the board ain't got the required ability.

    Unfortunately, it's the fans that suffer most.

    But we are UNITED. As a club, we are no strangers to adversity. I truly hope Ogren gets to live his dream. But I suspect that it wont be plain sailing.

    Compared to the rest of the league, we've got a big squad and should be able to cope with injuries. But, just imagine Reynolds and Connelly both got long term injuries early on this season? It looks like we got cover there, but I think we need another CB in that can challenge for a place and be ready to step in and command.

    It's fair to say Butcher, Bouhenna, and Ferdinand can step in to a CB role. Yeah, but not long term. We need a Lee Wilkie type IMO.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    274
    We need a Lee Wilkie type IMO.
    but without the bad knees.

  9. #9
    We also have Watson who is a centre half. No way we'll sign another IMO. In fact I'd be very surprised if we actually sign anyone else now but you never know.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •