+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Are Villa at risk of being Fulham?

Are Villa at risk of being Fulham?

So sick and tired of a number of our supporters, and a huge number of other fans saying that Villa are going to do a Fulham and spunk all their money and get relegated.

Relegated, and avoiding it, is the number 1 task for next year. But there are reasons we aren't the "new Fulham"

I've linked an article from the guardian and also want to add my thoughts...

All the transfer fees are hyper inflated this year. That comes from the silly money banded about by the top clubs in Europe. 100m for a goalkeeper, 140m for a Coutinho, 90m for a sulking French ****er! So, the article states that 20m is the equivalent of 8m 2 years ago.

What it also doesn't say is that the likes of Huddersfield in the first season in the prem outdid themselves incredibly! I think they spent 10m on Aaron Mooy and that was it. And while they relied on the team that got up thru the playoffs, with a lack of investment they went down with a wimper the year after.

Also, Fulham and their pokey little ground, and their status as the 6th team of the City, is not Aston Villa!

The first thing every new signing says is along the lines of "this is a massive club, with a massive history and state of the art facilities."

https://www.theguardian.com/football...tn_fb&sfns=xmo

Theres a difference between adding and starting over, Fulham tried to build a complete new team. Some of DS signings will not start a game!
    We still have
    Steer
    Taylor
    Mings
    Hause
    Hourihane
    McGinn
    Jack
    Elghazi
    Koj
    Green

All from last season!

We spent loads the season we got relegated so it just depends on how good your signings are. Difference with us and Fulham is the fact were a bigger club and can attract a better calibre of player especially if we have richer owners.

I was thinking the other day about Wesley. The Bent signing was far higher in comparison and so was JPA.

Bruce left us with no defence last term, looks like we wont be making that mistake again! We need to ship Hogan and Koj, Maupay for me at least, Sturridge at a push, just for the experience strictly on a pay as you play.

One thing's for sure - if we didn't spend and make wholesale changes to the squad by releasing those that are clearly championship level at best we would have come straight back down. The players we have signed for the most part have experience in English football and time will tell if they can make the step up and for the matter, Deano too.

In the Sherwood season, a number of signings had no experience of our leagues and with the likes of Benteke & Delph gone plus also-rans like Lescott. Some of our new additions will slot in well and some won't, but "doing a Fulham" - do me a favour!

Quote Originally Posted by TrianonDave View Post
    Theres a difference between adding and starting over, Fulham tried to build a complete new team. Some of DS signings will not start a game!
    We still have
    Steer
    Taylor
    Mings
    Hause
    Hourihane
    McGinn
    Jack
    Elghazi
    Koj
    Green

All from last season!
    Absolutely Dave. Up to now, we have signed 3 from last season and 2 who have played under the manager before. That means that so far 5 signings are no strangers to the management team’s training and tactics.

Leaving Wes, Gilbert and Targett. 3 new signings for Smith.
    Targett knows Jack from England, so that leaves 2 unknowns. Most teams will sign 3 or 4 unknowns this window, we’re ok.

Fulham signed complete strangers.

Anyway, loads of signings didn’t harm Wolves, so what’s the problem. We all know the answer, bitter arseholes from bitter clubs; feck em.

Also worth noting, the fees mentioned include add ons. So if we do well then we pay the add ons. Plus if the contracts are for 4 years then the fee is also over 4 years, 90 million my arse.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)