+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Rovaniemi v the Dons

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Which was the Third Qualifying Round.
    The set up was completely different, hence why ignorance is bliss.

JC qualified for the group stages (QR2) without winning a game, going through after only one tie on away goals.
    We rode our luck in that game with Dnipro hitting the bar a couple of times if I recall correctly.
    He then got out of the group stage in third place, with 1 win in the group games.
    I'm being pedantic here really but the format of the UEFA Cup that year was:

First Qualifying Round
    Second Qualifying Round
    First Round
    Group Stages
    Round of 32
    Round of 16
    Quarter Finals
    Semi Finals
    Final

Another big difference with Calderwoods achievement was that although the Competition that year started on July 19th, we didn't play our first game in it until September 20th.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Which was the Third Qualifying Round.
    The set up was completely different, hence why ignorance is bliss.

JC qualified for the group stages (QR2) without winning a game, going through after only one tie on away goals.
    We rode our luck in that game with Dnipro hitting the bar a couple of times if I recall correctly.
    He then got out of the group stage in third place, with 1 win in the group games.
    Hud the bus, if that was DM leading that team you would be busy telling us how we qualified for the group stages unbeaten and what a great strategic defensive display we showed in Dnipro. But with JC it's the opposite....

Now, I thought you were just Dons fan that couldn't see the club doing any wrong but then you post this? I think you're actually in love with Derek McInnes and Stupot Milne rather in love with the Dons ya chunt...

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Sod talk of the group stages.

Let's win the bloody thing.
    And the Super Cup...or I won’t be happy

Quote Originally Posted by medw1311 View Post
    Another big difference with Calderwoods achievement was that although the Competition that year started on July 19th, we didn't play our first game in it until September 20th.
    To be fair, Dnipro were better than anything DM has faced in Europe maybe with the exception of Real Sociedad. Rijeka were absolutely hopeless in the first leg and Groningen were just mid-table Dutch pish

And I actually think we gave Real Sociedad too much respect in the first leg (second leg we were good) in Spain. They were pumped next time out against Krasnador
    Last edited by BogBrush1903; 18-07-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    Hud the bus, if that was DM leading that team you would be busy telling us how we qualified for the group stages unbeaten and what a great strategic defensive display we showed in Dnipro. But with JC it's the opposite....

Now, I thought you were just Dons fan that couldn't see the club doing any wrong but then you post this? I think you're actually in love with Derek McInnes and Stupot Milne rather in love with the Dons ya chunt...
    It’s a bug bear of his that someone is sticking up for an old manager

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post

Not at all, the format was completely different so not really comparable, which was my subtle point

Yep, another glaringly different factor with the format

Has McInnes ever kept us in Europe until September?

I'm being pedantic here really but the format of the UEFA Cup that year was:

First Qualifying Round
    Second Qualifying Round
    First Round - When Aberdeen entered the competition
    Group Stages
    Round of 32
    Round of 16
    Quarter Finals
    Semi Finals
    Final
    1 tie to get to the group stages as opposed to now where we have 4 rounds to get to the group stages.

Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast