+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You'll Never Walk Alone

You'll Never Walk Alone

I saw a photo of a tattoo on Facebook this morning. It was a Man UTD badge surrounded with the words "You'll Never Walk Alone" ( You can find it easily enough on google)

Most people were taking the piss out of it, But, some were saying that Manchester United Fans used to sing it in the 60s and some went as far to say that most northern football fans sang this at games.

Any truth in this from anyone that is old enough to remember? The arguments online are not too convincing and the tattoo looks ridiculous.

I've only ever associated this song with Liverpool.

We sang it when we won Kop choir, most teams sang it but seem to think Liverpool sang it first.

Quote Originally Posted by jakethemiller View Post
    We sang it when we won Kop choir, most teams sang it but seem to think Liverpool sang it first.
    Everyday is a school day.

Most fans in England and Scotland used to sing it originally, but it became particularly associated with Liverpool, and to some extent Celtic, as time went on. Although the song originally featured in a musical, Gerry and the Pacemakers had a big hit with their version and they were from Liverpool. Fans used to sing terrace chants to whatever was in the top ten that week too, in the 60s /early 70s.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 12-07-2019 at 02:19 PM.

The original song goes back to 1945 it was one of the songs on the musical Carousel

I reckon Liverpool were the first to adopt it, with other clubs changing the lyric to “you’ll never walk again”

Pink Floyd fans will know it makes a short appearance on the LP Meddle, on the track called Fearless

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    The original song goes back to 1945 it was one of the songs on the musical Carousel

I reckon Liverpool were the first to adopt it, with other clubs changing the lyric to “you’ll never walk again”

Pink Floyd fans will know it makes a short appearance on the LP Meddle, on the track called Fearless

Was adopted by Liverpool fans before or after the Gerry And The Pacemakers version?

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Everyday is a school day.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Was adopted by Liverpool fans before or after the Gerry And The Pacemakers version?
    You'll probably need somebody who went to Anfield regularly before 1963 to answer that one! I think that the original song may have been played on the radio, before the Gerry and the Pacemakers version, as songs from famous musicals sometimes were played, so fans generally could have been familiar with it pre-1963. Can't give you a definitive answer - I was only 7 years old!
    Last edited by mikemiller; 12-07-2019 at 02:55 PM.

?

Another way of saying "You learn something new everyday"

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post

Yes they added the recording because john Peel was a Liverpool fan. I understand that Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets still include it in their set list. Great track!
    Last edited by Galley On; 12-07-2019 at 02:53 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast