+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Official World Cup Final Thread England v New Zealand

O/T Official World Cup Final Thread England v New Zealand

Got the beers in the fridge for Sunday , on it at 10.30 am and why not when you've waited 27 years to see your country in a World Cup Final again .

I've seen the three previous defeats , West Indies beat us handsomely .

We should have beaten Australia in 87 and Pakistan in 92 , threw it away when well set to overcome the targets they set .

The games moved on since those days of course , in 1979 West Indies set us 286 to win , it was a 60 over competition back then to boot , ffs that would be 60 runs below par today and 10 overs less .

The only thing that can beat us ain't NZ it's ourselves , we turn up and we win .

Win the toss and bat , set em 350 plus and it's ours at long last .

The reality is it will be an @ss twitcher , 17 required off the last two overs , 8 wickets down with Buttler and Rashid at the crease .

It's the nations way .

Im working on Sunday night , so I hope we've wrapped up the game within the first 10 minutes or so lol.

This IS our biggest and best chance yet to finally claim to being the cricket World champions!!.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Got the beers in the fridge for Sunday , on it at 10.30 am and why not when you've waited 27 years to see your country in a World Cup Final again .

I've seen the three previous defeats , West Indies beat us handsomely .

We should have beaten Australia in 87 and Pakistan in 92 , threw it away when well set to overcome the targets they set .

The games moved on since those days of course , in 1979 West Indies set us 286 to win , it was a 60 over competition back then to boot , ffs that would be 60 runs below par today and 10 overs less .

The only thing that can beat us ain't NZ it's ourselves , we turn up and we win .

Win the toss and bat , set em 350 plus and it's ours at long last .

The reality is it will be an @ss twitcher , 17 required off the last two overs , 8 wickets down with Buttler and Rashid at the crease .

It's the nations way .
    Am not one for averages or set scores. The conditions, the pressure, the pitch, the umpires all play a part on the day. New Zealand could bat first on Sunday and set us either 195 runs to win or 400 to win but it means nothing. Could be, should be, would be etc, etc doesnt legislate for what happens on the day.

Liverpool finished runners up wi 97 points which in any other season bar 2 would've seen them crowned champions at a canter. It's tough at the top but even if England lose on Sunday , I'm optimistic that we'll come again as will Liverpool. I've criticised us at times during this tournament but never ruled us art. Av also pointed out that there's no outstanding cricket team in this world cup.

Our performance against the Aussies suggests that we've more in the tank than most and can get better. However, i also look back to the Sri Lanka defeat and remain cautious knowing that we have that shyte in our locker too.

I'm looking forward to Sunday and I hope we do ourselves justice.

Hey Animal, what did you think about the recent 'spat' between Johnny Bairstow and Michael Vaughan ?.
    Both of them had correct and relevant things to say didnt they, and if it was an effort to make our team tougher, then it worked superbly because we are now in the Final!.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Hey Animal, what did you think about the recent 'spat' between Johnny Bairstow and Michael Vaughan ?.
    Both of them had correct and relevant things to say didnt they, and if it was an effort to make our team tougher, then it worked superbly because we are now in the Final!.
    It's galvanised us imo.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    It's galvanised us imo.
    Well I hope so Pass mate, I hope it works towards a top 'winning' performance from us/England in this weekends Final.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    It's galvanised us imo.
    Agree because I thought Vaughan made some valid points and he'd earned the right too given he captained an England team to an Ashes victory against possibly at that time the best test cricket team of all time .

Man up , they responded just like the 2005 Ashes team did after getting walloped in the first test at Lords .

Mikey Vaughan will always have a place in our memories wont he, as we're all Yorkshire & England fans.
    But (I think) Jonny B was also right in what he said, and I found it a difficult argument to listen to at the time.

Our strength is our weakness.
    We have half a dozen match winners all capable of bombing on the day.
    Roy, Bairstow, Stokes, Morgan, Buttler could all score a whirlwind century, but are all capable of a golden duck.
    If we get to 150 for one or two down we could score 400. If we're 20 for 3, we could struggle to get to 150.
    We just need 2 or 3 to 'come off'.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodger1957 View Post
    Our strength is our weakness.
    We have half a dozen match winners all capable of bombing on the day.
    Roy, Bairstow, Stokes, Morgan, Buttler could all score a whirlwind century, but are all capable of a golden duck.
    If we get to 150 for one or two down we could score 400. If we're 20 for 3, we could struggle to get to 150.
    We just need 2 or 3 to 'come off'.

Agree and although this England team is good, there's definitely room for improvement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast