+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: O/T Strange Things That Aren't As You Remember

Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndEarly View Post
    The fact that all Doctors - Police - Fire brigade - persons of "authority" - all used to be very mature individuals you could admire and look up to.....NOW they're all bloody kids !
    Talking of police, there was one female PC outside the NYS at the last home game that actually looked like a kid, 5 foot 1 and about 7 stone soaking wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Talking of police, there was one female PC outside the NYS at the last home game that actually looked like a kid, 5 foot 1 and about 7 stone soaking wet.
    Yea and she'll be sent for when theres a riot
    I give in...

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    As you get on a bit you start remembering things that may or not have happened. I have a vivid memory of walking through Sheffield City centre and them having electric double decker busses that played music because they were so quiet.

Is this a thing that happened or did I dream it?
    I clearly recall shoving six 1d's into a telephone box and pressing A to connect our call to our Auntie down south during the 60's. You also pressed B if there was no connection, that way you got your pennies back. Now if your lucky enough to manage to find a 'working' phone box it's 50p minimum to make a 3 minute call.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    I clearly recall shoving six 1d's into a telephone box and pressing A to connect our call to our Auntie down south during the 60's. You also pressed B if there was no connection, that way you got your pennies back. Now if your lucky enough to manage to find a 'working' phone box it's 50p minimum to make a 3 minute call.....

I seem to remember it was 4d not 6d Brin.

As a kid I wouldn’t pass a phone box without going in and pressing button B hoping the last user forgot to do it. It worked on odd occasions

One odd feature of those old style button A and B phones was that they all had individual numbers, you could actually call them up. Where I lived as a kid there was just such a box on the corner. Our neighbour just up the road used to go to the box at 7pm on Sundays because her mum would call her there. Woe betide any poor soul that occupied the box at that time, she used to rap on the glass to get them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    I seem to remember it was 4d not 6d Brin.

As a kid I wouldn’t pass a phone box without going in and pressing button B hoping the last user forgot to do it. It worked on odd occasions

One odd feature of those old style button A and B phones was that they all had individual numbers, you could actually call them up. Where I lived as a kid there was just such a box on the corner. Our neighbour just up the road used to go to the box at 7pm on Sundays because her mum would call her there. Woe betide any poor soul that occupied the box at that time, she used to rap on the glass to get them out.
    Grist, you may well be right but 6d seems to be set in my mind. Yes, I know back in the day folk use to give out their local phone box as their phone number lol.

I also recall early in the 70's it changed to a 6d as we as lads use to frequent the phone box on the corner of Badsley Moor Lane and Middle lane South. If you pushed a lollipop stick up the return slot loads of 6d's would fall out. Such was the use of a phone box back in the day and they were really emptied. I was only about 7/8 so didn't realise I was part of a troop who stole from the crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Had no idea what a pub or a bookies looked like inside. Had to wait in the car while my uncle went in.
    He’d ask landlords if they would allow kids in. They always said no. Then he’d come out a few hours later and drive me home pissed. Just seemed normal at the time.
    At least you had a car to sit in.

I was living in London in the early 70s.
    Fulham were at home to the Millers and I'd arranged to meet some mates at Craven Cottage.

Looking for the ground I was passing a pub. A young lad was stood outside with a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps.

"is the stadium this way?" I asked.

"I think tha guz darn theer . Mi dad knows - he's in theer wi 'is mates" said the lad.

I was dead chuffed to hear a Rotherham accent. A bit concerned about the lad being dumped outside though, on his own. It wasn't you was it Scum?

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post

Fulham were at home to the Millers and I'd arranged to meet some mates at Craven Cottage.

Looking for the ground I was passing a pub. A young lad was stood outside with a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps.

"I think tha guz darn theer . Mi dad knows - he's in theer wi 'is mates" said the lad.

I was dead chuffed to hear a Rotherham accent. A bit concerned about the lad being dumped outside though, on his own. It wasn't you was it Scum?
    It was really common then Wrinkly but I wasn't born until late 73 so there was no way I was standing and talking in the early 70s.

I thought the inside of a pub must have been a secret place when I was that age.

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post

My uncle Sonny was the only man I knew with a car A bright yellow one that each year he used to drive us to our holidays.

My grandad had one of those wooden Morris things that he shut the door whilst my finger was in it! I still have the finger with a momunto of the incident.

By the way I was never hold enough to spend the ds that Brin and Grist speak of?????

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234