+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another missed opportunity

Another missed opportunity

Colby Bishop signed his first professional contract with Notts County in November 2014.[3] He made his first team debut for the "Magpies" in a 1–0 defeat to Milton Keynes Dons at Meadow Lane on 26 December.
    He was replaced by Elliott ****ehouse after 73 minutes.[4]
    In May 2017 he was signed by National League North side Leamington F.C.
    On July 13th 2019 he joined Accrington Stanley of League one for an undisclosed fee [5]

Clearly, the management make the decision to release these players, but I get tired of hearing fans too saying "he's not good enough" after a couple of appearances. We were spoiled by the days when Dean Yates, Tommy Johnson and Mark Draper broke into the team and immediately hit the ground running. They were exceptional talents and it was extraordinary to get so many come through in one or two generations. Most young players need time and patience to find their feet, and a club like Notts County should be the sort that gives it to them, because God knows we're never going to buy our way to the higher levels. I'd like to see us become a club that is synonymous with youth development, to the point where that's our source of identity and pride, rather than where we are in the league at any given time. This would be a sustainable way to live long-term.

I have been saying this for years Jackal.

Its why so many clubs are in debt pretty much wasting money on journeymen players but as they are all league players people deem them to be "men" and better.

I would add Speiss to this list as well decent keeper and once you are on the non league scene id guess its hard to get back into the FL again.

Tyson is a prime example of what we do yes he scored 3 today but is he really what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Tyson is a prime example of what we do yes he scored 3 today but is he really what we need.
    What we need and what we can afford are poles apart at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by arnapie View Post
    What we need and what we can afford are poles apart at the moment.
    I get that my point is instead of him just play Campbell and give him a chance.

I get that my point is instead of him just play Campbell and give him a chance.
    Campbell hadn't even been playing that well in the reserves though, he had a long spell without scoring, so he has to at least do enough in training and reserve games to earn first team chances.

For what it's worth Osbourne (despite his goals) hadn't been playing great either according to Chettle and made lots of mistakes, throwing him in in the middle of a relegation battle wouldn't have been great for anyone (obviously in hindsight we were relegated anyway so it could't have hurt the team that much but if he came in and was terrible it could have been a long time before we saw him given another chance.

When Bishop was put in the first team by Derry he looked like he'd won a competition to play, he needed to go out and play games at a lower level before he could come back and that's what he did, whether we could have kept him around for longer and just loaned him out constantly I don't know, maybe, but at this level it's a bit different to Chelsea having their loan army but our situation is somewhat similar, they can't afford to show enough patience with their younger talent and give them all game time because managers don't get the time so it's easier and less risky to bring in other players and send them all out on loan to develop. At our level it's usually safer to bring in experienced pros who (unless they're poorly scouted, which is more the issue with us) they are much less risky.

Either play a below average youngster in the hope he becomes above average eventually but he might never (see Hollis)

Or stick with average older players you get on the cheap and hope they perform well.

The younger players have a higher ceiling but the older "journeymen" have a higher floor, to use some american lingo

Edit: And as for Bishop, there's plenty of players that come up from non league after prolific seasons and don't do anything (see Sean Canham), not everyone is a Jamie Vardy or Charlie Austin

I have been saying this for years Jackal.

Its why so many clubs are in debt pretty much wasting money on journeymen players but as they are all league players people deem them to be "men" and better.

I would add Speiss to this list as well decent keeper and once you are on the non league scene id guess its hard to get back into the FL again.

You try telling that to Elite Legs, he's an expert on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by McCullochisGod View Post
    You try telling that to Elite Legs, he's an expert on the subject.
    Who is Elite Legs?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Who is Elite Legs?
    Andy's sister.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast