+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone like steam trains ?i

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    Loved Bulleid design Battle of Britain Merchant Navy and West Country but also GWR Hall Manor & Granges. Spent many a day as a boy at Eastleigh train spotting.
    Saw City of Wells on the East Lancs Railway at Rammy a couple of weeks ago Outwood, and last August went from York to Scarborough behind Clan Line, they always remind me of holidays in the south of England and seem a bit out of place oop north, which they are really.

Just a bit of trivia about Oliver Bulleid, he went to the same school as me and Supersub, Accrington Grammar School. How it came about, given he was born in NZ and moved back to the family home in Wales after his dad died I've no idea, but nevertheless he did.

Name:  8E17A7A8-975F-4349-9374-7DE164D40C50.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  14.5 KB

I wish I had met him.

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    I was up early this morning to catch a glimpse of “Tornado “on its way to Tenby for the day returning here this evening. It was carrying 400 passengers with chocolate and cream and red and cream coaches behind the engine. I have always liked trains since I was a junior Claret and the chance to see this new-ish engine pulling a full compliment of coaches was one not to be missed.The train driver even blew the whistle on approach to the crowd of people on the footbridge , which would have pleased the watching youngsters. A nice start to the day.
    Live in Haworth malwayne so pretty common occurrence for me.

However booked on the gin express at the end of this month - looking forward to that.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Saw City of Wells on the East Lancs Railway at Rammy a couple of weeks ago Outwood, and last August went from York to Scarborough behind Clan Line, they always remind me of holidays in the south of England and seem a bit out of place oop north, which they are really.

Just a bit of trivia about Oliver Bulleid, he went to the same school as me and Supersub, Accrington Grammar School. How it came about, given he was born in NZ and moved back to the family home in Wales after his dad died I've no idea, but nevertheless he did.
    Bulleid’s predecessor was Richard Maunsell who designed the School’s and Lord Nelson class locomotives. I loved catching the train from my home Fareham to school in Portsmouth which I attended 1960-1970. Steam was already being phased out.

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    I was up early this morning to catch a glimpse of “Tornado “on its way to Tenby for the day returning here this evening. It was carrying 400 passengers with chocolate and cream and red and cream coaches behind the engine. I have always liked trains since I was a junior Claret and the chance to see this new-ish engine pulling a full compliment of coaches was one not to be missed.The train driver even blew the whistle on approach to the crowd of people on the footbridge , which would have pleased the watching youngsters. A nice start to the day.
    I'll be going down to the bottom of the road tomorrow morning, 70000 Brittania is taking The Fellsman over the Settle-Carlisle leaving Clitheroe at 9.38. It's a good spot about a mile out of Clitheroe and they have to work hard lifting a heavy train up the gradient out of the station. It returns later in the day but you can never rely on the timing and they shut the steam off and coast down into Clitheroe anyway, so I don't bother hanging around waiting for that one.

My Dad worked on the Bury/Bacup line (relief signalman) for 30 years until that idiot Beeching shut it down.

We actually lived in the station house at Ewood Bridge for many years where my Mum was a porter.. The trains used to stop right over my bedroom window and I loved the smell and the noise.

On Saturdays there used to be trains every 15 minutes between Bury and Bacup and they were all full.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    My Dad worked on the Bury/Bacup line (relief signalman) for 30 years until that idiot Beeching shut it down.

We actually lived in the station house at Ewood Bridge for many years where my Mum was a porter.. The trains used to stop right over my bedroom window and I loved the smell and the noise.

On Saturdays there used to be trains every 15 minutes between Bury and Bacup and they were all full.
    Small world 59, my first job when I left school was a clerk on BR, once I was trained up there were no permanent vacancies, so I was designated a relief clerk and my very first assignment was up to Cloughfold selling tickets to the good folk of the Valley. That was my very first day of real work after leaving school.

Just off to see Flying Scotsman coming through Clitheroe in ten minutes, it's coming through again on a second trip tonight at 8.50, but I'll be over in Burnley so I'll have to give that one a miss.

Cloughfold in the 60's?

The abiding memory was the stink of the gasholders.

And the River Irwell used to run a different colour each day depending on what the dye works up in Cowpe were up to. It was also used as a place to dump household and industrial rubbish.

Cloughfold in the 60's was a vision of hell.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Just off to see Flying Scotsman coming through Clitheroe in ten minutes, it's coming through again on a second trip tonight at 8.50, but I'll be over in Burnley so I'll have to give that one a miss.
    Give it a wave from me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)