+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone like steam trains ?i

Anyone like steam trains ?i

I was up early this morning to catch a glimpse of “Tornado “on its way to Tenby for the day returning here this evening. It was carrying 400 passengers with chocolate and cream and red and cream coaches behind the engine. I have always liked trains since I was a junior Claret and the chance to see this new-ish engine pulling a full compliment of coaches was one not to be missed.The train driver even blew the whistle on approach to the crowd of people on the footbridge , which would have pleased the watching youngsters. A nice start to the day.

Something about them malwayne isn't there? I love them!

Always been a lover of steam trains and 'Tornado' is a smashing example although it is a modern rebuild.
    As BT says "Something about them........."

I think it was just one of the hobbies that kids did in those days. Coming from Rishton,we had a train coming from Colne, off to London,that passed at 8:50 am. School starting at 9 am, that meant a dash on our bikes ,down the stony dirt path leading up to the golf course to the bridge just before the station.We had those little books with all the numbers and names ,when seeing a new name (a namer!),you just crossed it off. Sometimes a 'namer' ,sometimes not ! but then on the bike and a dash to school. It was the dash,the excitement, the muddy pools,the steering at top speed,would kids understand that what we did??

Anyone like steam trains ?i

there's plenty to them, more to play with the senses....compared to the modern diesel/electric types...so do like them for that.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  16.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Balanbam00 View Post
    I think it was just one of the hobbies that kids did in those days. Coming from Rishton,we had a train coming from Colne, off to London,that passed at 8:50 am. School starting at 9 am, that meant a dash on our bikes ,down the stony dirt path leading up to the golf course to the bridge just before the station.We had those little books with all the numbers and names ,when seeing a new name (a namer!),you just crossed it off. Sometimes a 'namer' ,sometimes not ! but then on the bike and a dash to school. It was the dash,the excitement, the muddy pools,the steering at top speed,would kids understand that what we did??
    We used to wait for that London train on our way to school in Accy Balan, usually a Jubilee on it, often 45580 Burma. It's amazing how I've forgotten so much but can still remember the names and numbers of steam engines from the 50s. I like steam engines so much I'm paying the North Yorks Moors a lot of money soon to teach me how to drive one of theirs for the day. Something I've always wanted to do.

Loved Bulleid design Battle of Britain Merchant Navy and West Country but also GWR Hall Manor & Granges. Spent many a day as a boy at Eastleigh train spotting.

Sinkov: You are not the only one to have '' forgotten so much''. The school I went to ,was under Accy,so they picked 4 of our team to train on Peel Park. I played for Accy schoolboys wining the Kay Cup (1957). But in those days A S was going bust!!! Les Cocker was some trainer ,and A. Stanley had a deaf player at centre half John Ryden ( I think? Maybe later he went to Tottenham ,or is that also ''how I've forgotten so much''?After they went bust I convinced myself ''There is no money in football!' So off to live in Germany,2 years.I worked for SABA radio & TV in Schwarzwald,then the next year for the US Army in Munich,(Dachau) Whilst there the 6 Day war broke out,the rest is history!

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  16.0 KB
    Steam rains ? Plese,tell me what is nostalgic/ romantic, even slightly pleasurable lying on a wooden "bed" for 13 hours travelling from Hanzhou to Beijing ? Steam train pleaureable ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)