+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: George johnston

George johnston

The liverpool under 23 defender is being looked at by Blackburn and others.
    We are looking at a loan deal for him.
    Very interesting if we pull this off.

What experience does he have?
    I would much prefer someone with vast experience

Quote Originally Posted by seventwo View Post
    What experience does he have?
    I would much prefer someone with vast experience
    Me too, and we surely can't need him for the U-23 team. We already have seven centre-backs there!

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Me too, and we surely can't need him for the U-23 team. We already have seven centre-backs there!
    I think Grayson looks to be the one furthest forward in his development. He has grown (crucially) and is now a very tall lad. I think he will join his Dad at Blackpool on loan for the season (maybe 6 months?)

I don't know anything about this lad. This might just be a similar situation to the young Everton keeper we got in. This does not affect our current recruitment for the first team squad. We are always looking to add to the youth levels when a player comes available. People will always assume any signing is for the first team. So many of these lads don't actually make it. Infact, the vast majority don't.

Looking at the current crop, so much was expected and hoped. So many looked like they would go on and play in our first team. I will be suprised if two actaually make it, and go on to play regularly for the first team.
    Butterworth gets rave reviews. Playing vrs lads his own age.
    Now I've actually seen him play live, vrs adults, he probably won't make it. Same with Buckley. Lovely footballer. Way way too slight and small to make any kind of an impact. He would be muscled off the ball at this level, way too easily. So would never make an impact. There is a huge step from Under 23's to the first team. And so few ever actually make it. We have to keep refreshing things.

Of the 7 centre backs, I bet only one (maybe 2) at a push (Maglorie & Grayson) actually make it. And even then, there a long way to go for both.

Champs - early days, but I would expect the lad from Gibraltar, Annesley, to come through too.
    He has only recently turned 19, but has been sort of fast-tracked into the U-23s.
    Then there is Wharton, but perhaps his career will be in the lower Divisions.

And I forgot to mention Platt. Two or three years ago, he looked a top prospect, but has now dropped well down the pecking-order

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs - early days, but I would expect the lad from Gibraltar, Annesley, to come through too.
    He has only recently turned 19, but has been sort of fast-tracked into the U-23s.
    Then there is Wharton, but perhaps his career will be in the lower Divisions.
    Wharton is a good example. He just hasn't processed and probably ended up spending too long on loan down in the lower leagues. I just don't see him making it at this level.
    I actually thought Annesley looked pretty good playing for Gibraltar. Again, he looks too slight to have that physical presence over a sustained period. He will need to grow and fill out before he makes it. That's the case with alot of these lads. I keep going back to Buckley. Lovely footballer, but there's nothing of him. No matter how good he is, he will simply get out muscled at our level.
    Maglorie looks to just have the right balance. Big, physical, ridiculously fast, and a good temperament. He has a very good chance.

In Annesley's case, It's the "filling out" that's necessary. He is already over 6'3"!

Yeah, he's just a bit tall and gangly. His frame needs to be bigger. These lads are still growing. TM reckons SG is a foot taller since we had him last.

Off-topic, I look at the BBC transfer and rumour pages in bewilderment.
    The money being spent at first-tier level across Europe is ludicrous.
    You sometimes get posters complaining that not all Mowbray's signings have been successful, but then I see that Man. City are about to release their centre-back, Mangala**, on a free. He cost 45 million in 2014, and has only started 51 games for them!
    Things like that tend to get lost in the blitz of spending.
    Having said that, does anyone else agree that Trippier at 20 million is a bit of a bargain, compared to some of the other fees we have seen?

** I don't think we can afford his salary!!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)