+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accents...

Accents...

Just thought that I would pop onto here to give an outsider's view on the Barnsley accent,ive read a fair few posts on here written in the Barnsley twang and I thought that it was probably written tongue in cheek with a nod to the old days but was I wrong, honestly I couldn't understand a word that some people was on about,I've got a Wakefield girlfriend so I thought that I would be ok with it but sod me she speaks like the queen compared to you lot
    Sadly it will die out in a 100 years or so what with the world getting smaller and locals moving elsewhere and it will be a sad day when that happens,the traffics really bad in your town as well,is that always the case,I've never been held up so long by traffic signals,anyway I'm off to pick up the Mrs from her mates,see you all for the prediction comp

Barnsley's like the land that time forgot. Still point at aeroplanes. The writing in argot thing is their way of covering up for illiteracy.

Mooast on 'eear cuddant gia sh1t abart Wardy. Iz waistin iz time.

Coco, if tha frum East Lancs accan spot thi accent a mile off. Rejoice in the differences iz wot aar say.

Wardy the *anker is on my ignore list

Aye that 'illiteracy' as Wardy puts it teks mooar skill to put into words than tha thinks. At leearst this tarn's gorran identity even though all t'mines are shut.

Am off to cleearn art pigin loft nar, then al tek mi whippet art forra mozy rarnd, cloth cap n orl, check on mi ferrets n put wun darn mi trarserz. Towd missus ez got towd roast beerf int oven wi sum rosters n Yorkshire puds med wi beerf drippin forruz teear even though it's middle o summer n red 'ot. She sed "ey up, nar then Stan, forra change why dunt we ev summat Mediterranean forruz snap sin as it's 'ot art theear"? A teld 'er no bloody chance, al tell thee nar, a waint eight any o that foreign muck, nivver in a million chuffin years.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnsley Chop View Post
    Wardy the *anker is on my ignore list
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Barnsley's like the land that time forgot. Still point at aeroplanes. The writing in argot thing is their way of covering up for illiteracy.
    Notice wardy how you're signing championship players ready for your points total record relegation

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Aye that 'illiteracy' as Wardy puts it teks mooar skill to put into words than tha thinks. At leearst this tarn's gorran identity even though all t'mines are shut.

Am off to cleearn art pigin loft nar, then al tek mi whippet art forra mozy rarnd, cloth cap n orl, check on mi ferrets n put wun darn mi trarserz. Towd missus ez got towd roast beerf int oven wi sum rosters n Yorkshire puds med wi beerf drippin forruz teear even though it's middle o summer n red 'ot. She sed "ey up, nar then Stan, forra change why dunt we ev summat Mediterranean forruz snap sin as it's 'ot art theear"? A teld 'er no bloody chance, al tell thee nar, a waint eight any o that foreign muck, nivver in a million chuffin years.
    Sum on us ev acchully Gorra Whippet!

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Sum on us ev acchully Gorra Whippet!
    And pigeons

Av lived darn sarf longer than I lived int tarn nar, but al niver loois mi accent cos a luv it and a luv fact that it’s difrent to owt else tha ears anyweer an ital niver di art!
    I ignoor that prat Wardy as well cos mi mam allas said if tha iver comes across a prat tha better off just givin em a wide berth cos idiots dunt ev enuff brain to understand a reight balanced argument!

I've got to say that the people of Barnsley do seem to be a very friendly bunch but then again they could be slagging me off to my face and I wouldn't understand it,it's a pity that strong accents like yours are slowly disappearing and everyone will eventually have a joint accent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast