+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stenhousemuir Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    Think we need to calm the fk doon. We won. We were expecting to finish 2nd in this group, we're still on target.

Can't believe we're reading too much into this game tonight?!?!

When we give Brechin 6 we're great but When we ONLY beat Stenny away 2-1 we're all of a sudden underperforming. Get a grip........as I've said before unfortunately we are playing preseason games in a competitive situation so too early to judge tactics, formations etc. Give it time and be patient.
    Whitfield, it’s an opportunity to set the tone for the forthcoming season, but I genuinely fear we’ll be subjected to the same negative p!sh we were last season, due to Robbie’s stubbornness.
    If that’s the case, then yet again, some players will not be able to fulfil their true potential, because Robbie is trying to setup to play them in his formation/style, rather than adapting his formation/style to suit the players we already had, and those we’ve bought.
    As someone said above, Shankland scored lots of goals last season, because Ayr played to feed him. Will we do the same? I’m beginning to worry we won’t, and surely, these ARE the games where you “test” your intended setup, before the season actually starts.
    We’re suffering from a playing manual continually taught/coached at Largs, that simply is not suitable/practical for the Scottish game, perhaps due to the quality of player these days. No doubt it would have worked in yesteryear, but those days of exceptional Scottish talent coming through, is long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Saw a lot of knicker wetting at half time.. Looks like a case of job done so far, their first game of the season on plastic, well up for it, tight ground, just drew 1-1 with St Mirren in the final pre season game... Not just going to hand it to us on a plate early on if they can help it, think they drew at Pittodrie in the Scottish Cup a few months back forcing a replay too

It's competitive game but still pre season, Harkes got 55 mins, Stanton on, King now on for Butcher etc
    You ridiculed our 3-0 win against a Raith team you said we're in disarray (won every pre-season game) on an artificial surface,now you are defending a narrow win against an even worse side??
    Care to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by ballumbie_arab View Post
    Whitfield, it’s an opportunity to set the tone for the forthcoming season, but I genuinely fear we’ll be subjected to the same negative p!sh we were last season, due to Robbie’s stubbornness.
    If that’s the case, then yet again, some players will not be able to fulfil their true potential, because Robbie is trying to setup to play them in his formation/style, rather than adapting his formation/style to suit the players we already had, and those we’ve bought.
    As someone said above, Shankland scored lots of goals last season, because Ayr played to feed him. Will we do the same? I’m beginning to worry we won’t, and surely, these ARE the games where you “test” your intended setup, before the season actually starts.
    We’re suffering from a playing manual continually taught/coached at Largs, that simply is not suitable/practical for the Scottish game, perhaps due to the quality of player these days. No doubt it would have worked in yesteryear, but those days of exceptional Scottish talent coming through, is long gone.
    Wasn’t at the game, but from the commentary it sounded like we dominated the game but were just unfortunate with the final ball. We seemed to have loads of corners etc. Also sounded like Appere was either up front with or just in behind Shankland, so an attacking formation. Like others have said, its early days, way too early to be making judgements. Give some credit to Stenny for being stuffy and defending well.

Quote Originally Posted by ballumbie_arab View Post
    Almost all our first team have been signed since Robbie's arrival. This is his team playing how he wants us to play. So far that has involved winning the majority of the matches he has contested.

I think some folk are being a bit too hard to please to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Noddydog View Post
    Wasn’t at the game, but from the commentary it sounded like we dominated the game but were just unfortunate with the final ball. We seemed to have loads of corners etc. Also sounded like Appere was either up front with or just in behind Shankland, so an attacking formation. Like others have said, its early days, way too early to be making judgements. Give some credit to Stenny for being stuffy and defending well.
    The stats on Bet365 (as well as the “on-pitch” view), certainly didn’t reflect that. I think we did have a lot of corners, but as usual done feck all with them!
    For those that continue to bang the “pre-season” drum, or defend the team with “credit to the opposition” praise, you are deluded!! Surely, professional players should (1) be busting a gut to cement a regular place in the team for the forthcoming season, and (2) be using every game to build up match fitness and sharpness, and these type of games and opposition, should be ideal for that. However, like I’ve already said, if the manager is not setting the team up properly, or playing the right players, and/or in the right positions, then you ARE on a hiding to nothing (and the manager is culpable for that). The negativity is born from Robbie’s stubborn persistence with a formation that was proven to be unsuccessful on a number of key occasions last season, and simply fear we’re heading down the same path again this season. If we cannot set up an attacking formation, and provide Shankland with the service needed, then it will be another long and frustrating season! I sincerely hope I’m proved wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by eric_sinclair View Post
    You ridiculed our 3-0 win against a Raith team you said we're in disarray (won every pre-season game) on an artificial surface,now you are defending a narrow win against an even worse side??
    Care to explain.
    Replied to wrong message...edited out.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Almost all our first team have been signed since Robbie's arrival. This is his team playing how he wants us to play. So far that has involved winning the majority of the matches he has contested.

I think some folk are being a bit too hard to please to be honest.
    Scraping a 2-1 win over Stenny with a total of 9 shots in the game, 4 on target, 4 off, 1 blocked, is not good enough, simple as that! It either shows a poor attitude, or we’re struggling to set up an attacking team, both of which concern me.

Honestly, I don't know what you've seen during Robbie's tenure so far that makes you think he's ever going to set up an attacking team.

Quote Originally Posted by eric_sinclair View Post
    Care to explain.
    He can’t and he won’t

But he is entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Honestly, I don't know what you've seen during Robbie's tenure so far that makes you think he's ever going to set up an attacking team.
    I was assuming (last season) it was down to personnel inherited from Shabba, so gave him the benefit of the doubt. He set up an attacking Hearts team, which white-washed this division, so I am expecting him to take that same approach, and ensure we have a team capable of doing that.

The scary thing is, if he won’t go for an attacking approach, then he’s a very naive man, because he doesn’t have the CB’s to play the defensive/containment game, and it could ultimately cost him his job, so if he will persist in those negative tactics, I won’t be sorry to see him go!

The championship is far too “cut-throat” to try and play tentatively, and other teams (like last year) will seize the initiative. All the recent league winners have won it, because they’ve taken the game to their opponents for the majority of games. We’ve failed the last two seasons, because we’ve not taken that same approach, and we’ve had chances to go up! To have not gone for it, for the last 15-20mins of the St Mirren game, after they went down to 10 men, was a criminal offence, in itself!
    As the saying goes “you don’t make the same mistake twice”, but Robbie might well be the man to revoke that.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)