+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stenhousemuir Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    This is exactly what I was on about the other day. This is what we're going to get this season. Close results but wins.
    I asked you a question on the Hearts thread but you swerved it. It's this.
    Is it too much to expect in the time that Robbie has had with these players to see a pattern developing, a fluidity, some confidence and patience in possession, some creativity from middle to front? Is that too much to expect?

Quote Originally Posted by ballumbie_arab View Post
    You don’t half talk a lot of sh!te.
    Do you honestly think we should NOT be thumping teams like that in this competition, and sending a clear message to other teams, ahead of the coming season?
    When are you and the rest of the happy clappers gonna wale up and realise, that until we DO start taking an assertive and arrogant approach to games, then we will struggle to get out of this league?
    Too many times last season, our tentative play invited teams onto us, they scored the first goal (or more), and we couldn’t turn it around. We simply cannot do that again this season, but if people like you are content with it, then Robbie will “fill his boots”.
    I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt (which was severely tested in the play-off second leg), but that will not last long, if he doesn’t change his stubborn (and failing) approach to games, against, let’s be honest, much weaker opposition!
    I do believe there is a good manager in there, but he needs to take the shackles off, and be braver!

Edited to add:
    The United team I was very fortunate to be brought up watching, would’ve been heavily fined for that performance/result tonight!!
    Could not agree more. I was prepared to accept another season in the Championship so long as we were attacking teams from the off & trying to do what Hearts did in the Championship (when Neilson was their manager). However, from the play off game to Tynecastle and tonight has already made me think that nothing has changed & that Neilson gives poor teams far too much respect. We simply can’t afford to struggle this season, we have to be up for it from the off.

How do you know we won't get that stoke, you have no idea, none of us do, we haven't even played 90 mins with our recognised known best like up yet, especially the midfield area... It's still to be found out, the home games should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    How do you know we won't get that stoke, you have no idea, none of us do, we haven't even played 90 mins with our recognised known best like up yet, especially the midfield area... It's still to be found out, the home games should be fun.
    I didn't say we wouldn't/won't get it. Read my posts again before knee jerk reaction? What I'm saying is I don't see any signs (YET) that he has managed to coach the players into a cohesive style that will create for Shankland.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    I didn't say we wouldn't/won't get it. Read my posts again before knee jerk reaction? What I'm saying is I don't see any signs (YET) that he has managed to coach the players into a cohesive style that will create for Shankland.
    From someone who wishes he didnt watch that first half, we will not be getting promoted playing like that! Far too much side and back all game with no serious out ball and i have to ask where the real Ian Harkes has gone?

Pass marks for Watson, McMullan, Chalmers, Appere, Robson, Shankland, Stanton and Cammy Smith through the middle!

think some players who weren't involved are prob penned in for starts against Cowdenbeath Friday.

it wasn't great tonight, Butcher and Harkes got about 65 mins which is a positive, Chalmers, McMullan and Smith when he came on showed a few flashes of skill, Apperre ran around a lot but didn't have a great effect, shankland finished one when he was through but offside, and had decent effort saved late on, didn't get a great deal of chances. King struggled a little when he came on but first game. Defence wasn't convincing. First half was pretty even, they had a decent header chopped off from a free-kick, we started 2nd half more tempo, scored a couple, looked like we might get a few, lost a sloppy one, subs prob broke momentum a bit, and was more bit even last 15-20.

Again, have to say, our passing is really woeful. Overall, not a game to live long in the memory.

astro pitches are hopeless. The players don't play the same on them. We may train on them but it is difficult to switch from training mode onto actual playing mode. The players are not wanting hurt and whilst the window is open and replacements can be brought in or potential moves may not happen.

All in all, 3 pts, decent workout, still look weak at set pieces and our midfield seem to receive a pass....run around in a circle and pass it sideways or to the opposition, we really need a creative outlet. McMullen will be ***** to us this season and we could do with another creative midfielder. Shankland was back defending at one point...didn't expect that. Connolly just looks angry but I think he could be easily wound up by opposition ....gives away too many needless free kicks.Still a bit away from the league starting, so enough time to smooth out these problems but genuinely not overly optimistic with this season. Would kill for a decent winger .

why the F did this star out the word "v i t a l" ? McMulllen will be V I T A L......jeezo!

Quote Originally Posted by ballumbie_arab View Post
    Edited to add:
    The United team I was very fortunate to be brought up watching, would’ve been heavily fined for that performance/result tonight!!

It took him ten years to get the side to the stage of fining them like that

The last time we played Stenhousemuir away in a competitive fixture before tonight was 1973, they won 2-0 (the return at Tannadice was 5-0 us), this was about a year or so into McLean's 23 year reign, the time we played them away before that at was pre 1960 before Jerry Kerr ever established us in the top flight

You are lucky to have seen the great years, just as I feel lucky to have seen the 94 cup win, the Tommy McLean season 96/97, the second best period of our history from 2007-2015 including 2010 cup win

Think we need to calm the fk doon. We won. We were expecting to finish 2nd in this group, we're still on target.

Can't believe we're reading too much into this game tonight?!?!

When we give Brechin 6 we're great but When we ONLY beat Stenny away 2-1 we're all of a sudden underperforming. Get a grip........as I've said before unfortunately we are playing preseason games in a competitive situation so too early to judge tactics, formations etc. Give it time and be patient.
    Last edited by Whitfieldarab; 17-07-2019 at 01:43 AM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)