+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Price Of Premier League Football

The Price Of Premier League Football

Talking to a lad at work who attended a forum last night at Huddersfield Town with the new owner taking centre stage .

The new owner was asked about the club's finances and could they expect some big signings this summer .

Yes if we receive offers for our players that meets our valuation .

Where's the money gone then he was asked .

Huddersfield Town received £200m for their two year stay in the PL and all of it went on transfers and wages .

In fact the owner at that time Dean Hoyle had to inject a further £11m in to the club last season out of his own pocket to sustain the club .

Now this is a club who you could argue have gone about things relatively sensibly in the PL compared to many other clubs and yet despite two years in the PL they still spent £11m more than they had coming in .

They are using the parachute money to build a new training complex .

Looking at that it makes you wonder whether it's worth the bother .

£211m to play two season in the PL and finish the final one rock bottom with 3 wins all season I believe .

Feckin madness .

I am more than happy with the Championship and even League One TBH. Some may see this view as small time and unambitious. But I would rather have Barnsley well run and sustainable, than them looking over their shoulder at the spectres of administration and liquidation. Ask fans of Accrington, Wimbledon, Newport, Darlington, Scarborough to name but a few. No lads I am more than happy with BFC right now. Look what happened when we went into the Premier league...... administration that's what.

Madness innit. What has happened to the game I fell in love with as a kid?

Why are Barnsley fans concerned with the price of Premier League football ?

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Madness innit. What has happened to the game I fell in love with as a kid?
    Greed that’s what’s happened! With a bit of luck the Blunts will end up in administration and go out of business completely, then that idiot who has nothing in his life but to post on here may feck off?

I've started seeing glory sofa watching local pillocks wearing a blunts shirt in Tarn pound to a penny they've never even been to bumhole lane it makes me spew

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    Greed that’s what’s happened
    Tha reight, not only that but tha can look at a whole host o things that's changed. That crappy VAR coming in this season, diving, amount of foreign players, tackling outlawed, player power, agents, wages, all seater stadiums, plastic fans, red cards fo nowt etc etc

Well .....I have to answer this one......
    Don’t be feeling sorry for the Dog Botherer’s Animal..... Dont be fooled by the “We have done things right, and the whole system stinks.... syndronme. .. it appears some of my local brethren have woken up.and smelled the Sh!te !

The GOSPEL according to “HARD DONE BY HUDDERSFIELD. “

“Where’s my money gone.
    “Where’s my money gone ?”
    “Far far away.......”

MY GOD! I wish we had had a tenth of the parachute money they’ve had.....
    And where has it gone???
    After two years of telling them what it did to our club, they suddenly realise that the £140 million they were going to have to spend to ROCKET them back into the Prem ( where they belong , OBVIOUSLY, AS THEY'VE WON IT THREE TIMES IN A ROW!!,,.... .
    Has, in fact disappeared.........

In fact the owner at that time Dean Hoyle had to inject a further £11m in to the club last season out of his own pocket to sustain the club .
    ( Well, it WAS his OWN DREAM,.... and when the ship sank, the Captain upped and left.......( Cue Whistles, and a big band!!)....

Now this is a club who you could argue have gone about things relatively sensibly in the PL compared to many other clubs and yet despite two years in the PL they still spent £11m more than they had coming in
    (YES, THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE GOING TO BE IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE IN THEIR SECOND SEASON!!! LOL....

“They are using the parachute money to build a new training complex”
    .(WHAT SH)TE.... CANALSIDE WAS ALREADY FINISHED TWO YEARS AGO,.... They shut their academy, they did t invest in youth, they invested in GERMAN AMD FRENCH FLOPS.

“Looking at that it makes you wonder whether it's worth the bother .”
    Yes, it’s worth the bother, ...... just don’t think you are Man U , cos you beat them once in the Prem... There is better models out there....... Burnley, Bournemouth, Wolves....
    Just not BILLY BOLLOX, CONCOURSE WRECKING SCUM FROM THE GALPHARM.

Reminds me of another club with grandiose self importance........ who went down twice. .mmmmmmmmm
    Sunderland was it?

Animal......... if that’s what they’ve been telling you over your snap break ...... it must be true....
    They are feeling sorry for themselves... Don’t be taken in by their tales of woe.......
    Eat your snap at lunchtime , and smile politely.....
    They are not worth batting an eyelid at.
    Don’t be feeling sorry for them...... .
    Last edited by Jules88; 17-07-2019 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Talking to a lad at work who attended a forum last night at Huddersfield Town with the new owner taking centre stage .

The new owner was asked about the club's finances and could they expect some big signings this summer .

Yes if we receive offers for our players that meets our valuation .

Where's the money gone then he was asked .

Huddersfield Town received £200m for their two year stay in the PL and all of it went on transfers and wages .

Now this is a club who you could argue have gone about things relatively sensibly in the PL compared to many other clubs and yet despite two years in the PL they still spent £11m more than they had coming in .

They are using the parachute money to build a new training complex .

Looking at that it makes you wonder whether it's worth the bother .

£211m to play two season in the PL and finish the final one rock bottom with 3 wins all season I believe .

Feckin madness .
    This isn’t totally true .They were losing a lot of money in the Championship like nearly every other Championship club does.

In their Promotion season they lost £22m
    Their first season in the Premiership they made a profit of £23m so nearly a £50m turn around !

TV income on their Promotion went up by £102m but their wage bill also went up by £41m

They also employed an extra 45 staff which is good for the local economy

When they were promoted they spent £58m on players and received £7m in sales

When the club were promoted Hoyle lent the club a further £17m so they were ready for the Premier League, a big chunk of this was the bonuses he paid to players and staff which was about £10m.

In their first season back the club paid him £19m back but were still in debt

You’re right though they are pretty much back where they started but are in better shape than most relegated clubs

Just to add to that you could say their lauded ex owner has actually left the club £48m in debt ( to him ) in his tenure. If he ever asks for that back is another thing but at least PC left us debt free.

So yes they had a journey they never expected in the Premier League, spent a shed load of money and got nowhere and a lot of their fans are left a bit meh about football in general after it all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast