+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Brainy people mk2

O/T Brainy people mk2

The big bang. Like an explosion, speeds outwards. Then slows down. But due to gravity , when the slow down comes to a halt , it will start to collapse into itself again.
    Trouble is. Recent measurements of distant galaxy's. 90 billion light years away.
    That the speed of expansion is accelerating.
    Cut it short. What is on the edge of the universe, and what is it expanding into?
    Ps partial eclipse of the moon tonight cloud permitting.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    The big bang. Like an explosion, speeds outwards. Then slows down. But due to gravity , when the slow down comes to a halt , it will start to collapse into itself again.
    Trouble is. Recent measurements of distant galaxy's. 90 billion light years away.
    That the speed of expansion is accelerating.
    Cut it short. What is on the edge of the universe, and what is it expanding into?
    Ps partial eclipse of the moon tonight cloud permitting.
    Easy and short answer: no one knows. Not even Brian Cox.

It all gets a bit complicated. I'm a bit puzzled though as at the start of the millennium I placed a bet with William Hill that the World would end by the year 2100 and today they offered me to cash out my bet. Why would I do that when I can wait until 2100 and collect the full amount

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Easy and short answer: no one knows. Not even Brian Cox.
    Especially Brian Cox who left school with a GCE in Woodwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    Especially Brian Cox who left school with a GCE in Woodwork.
    Fair’s fair though, he did get a D grade in A-level maths and was sort of average pounding a keyboard with D:Ream

For him “things can only get better” actually worked

Read thread title before replying.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    Read thread title before replying.
    Thanks.
    You're a very naughty boy crash

The title that has nothing to do with the content?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    The title that has nothing to do with the content?
    Jolly stop being pedantic

If the speed of light is 186,000 miles a second then what is the speed of dark?

Seriously though these really are unanswerable questions. One of those if God made us who made God type of questions.

Still an intriguing subject though.
    With technology now you can look millions of years into the past. If you were able to see a Star 1,000 light years away, you are looking at how it was 1,000 years ago nearly 50 years before the Battle of Hastings. Could have warned King Harold to keep an eye out for that arrow.

The numbers we are talking about are mind boggling. To give a simple synopsis take a couple of numbers you do know.

Take someone like Bill Gates for example.

If he counted out a million dollars one dollar every second continuously, it would take him nearly 12 days but if he counted a billion dollars it would take him not far off 32 years. And that’s just for one of his 100 billions. Mind blowing?

Not really

Now take a light year. Just the one. That is the distance it takes light to travel in one year. That is hurtling along for one year at 186,000 miles per second. In one hour you will have travelled 669,600,000 miles In one day you will have travelled 16,070,400,000 (over 16 billion miles) obviously not on a school day.

In a year you will have travelled a mind boggling 5,849,625,600,000 miles.

Realistically you would have to stop for petrol quite a few times to fill up and I don’t know much about the fuel prices on Pluto.

So when you start talking about distances of millions of light years it is impossible to comprehend the enormity of it all.

And all because our game was called off.

Tick Tock tick tock.
    Last edited by Nardendee; 16-07-2019 at 10:17 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast