+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Robinson and Lasley staying

Robinson and Lasley staying

Stephen Robinson and Keith Lasley have signed new contracts with the club until the summer of 2022

Thats good news and will give us some more stability going forward.

I'm not exactly unhappy with this but I'm not convinced we needed to do it at this point either.

Given the complete mess he made of last summer, I'd have been tempted to wait a little to see how this rebuild went. He has way more positives than negatives but we simply can't afford to keep a manager who ends up having to drastically repair his own work every January regardless of what else he brings to the role.

Stephen Robinson signs new three year contract

As above. I have to say I am surprised at the timing of this given that we don't yet know if his latest summer transfer window will prove successful and not a repeat of last years disaster but there it is, he's signed up until 2022 along with Lasley. Good luck to him and hopefully we have a better season this year but I can't help feel that this is something of a gamble.

Edit: just noticed there was already a thread on this, feel free to merge.
    Last edited by LawSteelman; 18-07-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Stephen Robinson extends his stay at Fir Park

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson committed himself to the club on Thursday by signing a two-year contract extension to the end of the 2021/22 season. - External Link

I suspect his behind the scenes work was decisive.

It's slightly strange because as a professional football club, the final point of everything we do is to boost winning on the park. On the other hand, the short-term performance of the first team often has little or even no resemblance to how well the club is actually being run. Robinson seems very willing/able to do the stuff which will keep us sustainable and successful* over the medium term. I can understand those making the decisions thinking that outweighs a couple of negatives he has relating to just one part of his job - albeit an important one - with the week to week results.

We obviously don't know if there has been interest in him from other clubs but from what's public knowledge I find it hard to imagine we couldn't have easily waited until September/October to do a new deal.

*success is obviously very relative in our context!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)