+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tosin adarabioyo

Unfortunately aucks any one of our signings will have precisely 2 games to show their class or some of the fans will be panning them.
    Ben brereton was a prime example constantly being made into a 7 million flop,we didn't pay 7 million and he is young
    Never mind that though,we paid 7 million for a useless player.
    Honestly some of our fans you cannot win with.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Of all the alternatives, Champs, I do think Gallagher is the closest to like-for-like where DG is concerned. I am hoping that he proves good enough to take over when Danny leaves in a couple of years. (I am assuming Nuttall will be leaving).
    Brereton's best position is a bit of a puzzler still. The thing is, ALL of the following would probably most enjoy playing OFF Graham (in Dack's role): BB, Armstrong, Butterworth, Samuel, and even Rothwell. I don't think any of those regard the "wide attacker" role as their ideal choice. It's just a matter of accepting that we do have a quart to fit into a pint-pot up front. The only real attacking winger is Chapman, with both Downing and Bennett better suited to the role of wide midfielder nowadays.
    Incidentally, I think you're writing off EB too soon. I agree that he was a long way below his best after Christmas, but if you think back to the early part of last season, he was still performing well. Equally, a lot of LT posters are simply dismissing Mulgrew now, which is ridiculous.
    As for Tosin (I take it that is what we are going to call him), it's fingers crossed for me. I totally understand why we couldn't get a more experienced player, but I fear that he will be consigned to the rubbish-bin by a certain section of our fan-base if he doesn't perform like Van Dijk in his first few games.

Incidentally, I think you're writing off EB too soon. I agree that he was a long way below his best after Christmas, but if you think back to the early part of last season, he was still performing well. Equally, a lot of LT posters are simply dismissing Mulgrew now, which is ridiculous.

That's one of my gripes. No matter what someone like Rankin-Costello does, he would never pick him ahead of Bennett. Unless we get a flurry of injuries, he would not trust him. And that's one of the main reasons why we aren't getting as many of these lads through, as we should be.
    We know all about Benno. what he can do, what he can do no longer. So what are we going to find out when he starts vrs Charlton? Is he that safe? We always shipped goals when he played? And he just doesn't add anything going forward. He gradually got worse last season, once we got into the season. Same with Smallwood. We became an easy touch. So by all means, yes, keep him around. As stepping in, should not be a problem.
    Starting with him? When others, younger have performed just as well? I'm not so sure he adds enough to be playing.
    And does Rankin-Costello get any better, or any experience sat watching Bennett swing another cross out of play.

Mulgrew, to be fair, I don't think will start the season as badly as he finished it. So I should really afford Bennett the same luxury. I do acknowledge that Benno started the season ok. He seemed to just reach his level, and I am not sure he has much more.

It may indeed be that they are both in decline, Champs, and we might be nearing the end of the road for both of them. On the other hand, players DO go through bad patches. They have a couple of poor games, lose confidence, and then it becomes a vicious circle.
    As far as Bennett is concerned, his versatility has actually made life more difficult for him. I still think he is best used as Craig Conway was. EB is not a full-back, and he is not a Chapman-style winger, but he is very good at protecting the flank and covering for the full-back. What we really need is for Nyambe to fulfil his promise, which would mean that Bennett can be slotted in as a sub, or used in that wide-defensive role when we are away to the better teams.

I forgot to add that playing Rankin-Costello at full-back would also be a risk. He has looked good in pre-season, but it's not his natural position, and we all know what a big step-up it is to senior football at Championship level.
    It's pure guesswork, but I'd speculate that our U-23 team (as a whole) would probably slot in at about National League level, at best.

I've never understood why Nyambe isn't our first choice RB

Quote Originally Posted by seventwo View Post
    I've never understood why Nyambe isn't our first choice RB
    It was always a balancing act with him. Stick or twist?
    If we play an attacking player, say Armstrong, Nyambe would get absolutely no cover.
    No matter how good he is, or how raw, the opposition (from xmas onwards) quickly realised they could expose us. One ball inside of him, and numerous teams found success. He was never torn apart, it was just we played in a system that left both full backs exposed.
    The neanderthal's blamed both full backs and 2 young lads got blamed. One even got taken out of the side. And replaced with Bennett, who was even worse. I get that his confidence probably needed a bit of protection, as the crowd where on his back. Then he got injured. His only sustained period out of the side was only ever down to injury.

I agree, Seventwo, and I'm hoping this season will see that become an established fact. I think it's just a matter of him developing the right level of confidence. It would help if TM showed a bit more faith in him, perhaps!
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 02-08-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I forgot to add that playing Rankin-Costello at full-back would also be a risk. He has looked good in pre-season, but it's not his natural position, and we all know what a big step-up it is to senior football at Championship level.
    It's pure guesswork, but I'd speculate that our U-23 team (as a whole) would probably slot in at about National League level, at best.

Of course. Just look at how the top level academy Under 23 sides from Man City, Chelsea etc get on in that EFL trophy. A weakened Mansfield side beat them with ease. Stick a whole side of young lads with no experience in a game vrs seasoned pro's, and the same thing will happen every time. Which is why it never happens.

If you introduce young players alongside experience, then they will improve if they are goo enough. Look at Travis, to name one of numerous players. Travis was probably good enough to play all of last season, but spent the first 6 months watching Smallwood not quite be good enough. Like Rankin Costello will have to watch Bennett not be up to it.
    But Travis only every got in the side due to injury and suspension. Not by saying, you are better than him, I have every faith in you.
    Maybe we need a little more faith in our lads.
    You often raise the point, why do we bring in a young lad from another academy which effectively stunts the growth of one of our own lads. This is only the same. Why opt for a player who was given a whole season to prove himself, and showed he wasn't good enough? Its not like we used him, then discarded him, when we got better.
    Bennett isn't the future, nor will he drastically improve. Nor will we be going anywhere fast with guys like this. But he will start either way tomorrow.
    I can explain most things, and find rationale behind it. Not with things like this.

By all means, keep him involved. Use him as cover, bring him in if one of the young lads are struggling. But don't keep playing him. He was a good Div1 player. We have passed the 'bedding in' stage in this division, which meant rolling over in far too many games.
    We are now looking to push on.

Champs - nobody disputes the idea that youngsters have to be fitted in gradually, so that they can learn and improve.
    What DOES get overlooked, though, is that fans don't see training. I find it really unlikely that the management/coaching team will watch a youngster consistently out-perform a senior day after day, but still pick the latter just because he is older.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)