+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Scottish football- garbage

Scottish football- garbage

After last nights win at Kilmarnock (3rd best team north of the border) by Welsh League part timers Connah Quay Nomads (2nd in the Welsh Premier League) you just have to wonder why people keep watching the game up there. Following this humiliating loss Kilmarnock should be kicked out of the Scottish League altogether. Some people in the media have said its an even bigger shock than Liverpool’s win against Barcelona and I have to agree with them. Every now and again fans north of the border are clamouring to play in the Premier League alongside some proper football teams. You only have to see how they perform in the Champions League to realise its a non starter. In fact as soon as the likes of Celtic and Rangers are knocked out of Europe the better , despite their large away following. It will only save them from further humiliation. The international team are no better and even struggle against the likes of Gibraltar and others. Why would anyone bother watching Scottish football at any level ? I wouldn’t for sure.

I have always thought Rangers and Celtic should be "incorporated" into our Football League. I can't see the difference between Cardiff Swansea and even Newport being allowed to play in the "English" Leagues and not Glasgow Celtic and Rangers.

I've been to Ibrox several times and it's on a par with anything we have down here. The "Big Two" will never get any better playing the likes of Hearts and Kilmarnock, get them down here and watch them roll.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I have always thought Rangers and Celtic should be "incorporated" into our Football League. I can't see the difference between Cardiff Swansea and even Newport being allowed to play in the "English" Leagues and not Glasgow Celtic and Rangers.

I've been to Ibrox several times and it's on a par with anything we have down here. The "Big Two" will never get any better playing the likes of Hearts and Kilmarnock, get them down here and watch them roll.
    I could not disagree more BT. Anyone who was at the Anglo Scottish Cup semi final v Celtic at Turf Moor or witnessed Rangers fans smashing up Manchester City Centre when they played Zenit in the UEFA Cup Final will know the result of the Old Firm on their travels in England. Want that every weekend in English and Welsh towns and cities? Gartside proposed admitting Rangers and Celtic to our leagues and we know what an operator he was.

Forgive my ignorance but does EPL mean ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE ?

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    I could not disagree more BT. Anyone who was at the Anglo Scottish Cup semi final v Celtic at Turf Moor or witnessed Rangers fans smashing up Manchester City Centre when they played Zenit in the UEFA Cup Final will know the result of the Old Firm on their travels in England. Want that every weekend in English and Welsh towns and cities? Gartside proposed admitting Rangers and Celtic to our leagues and we know what an operator he was.
    Your right outwood - that was a scary night.

Quote Originally Posted by map View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but does EPL mean ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE ?
    I think it does map, but it's never stopped Cardiff or Swansea playing in it, which is not say I think Scottish clubs should be invited in, I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Your right outwood - that was a scary night.
    I was in what was then the Bee Hole End. I witnessed the casualties coming out of the Longside. Shortly after Kindon scored I decided it was time to head home to Manchester.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    I was in what was then the Bee Hole End. I witnessed the casualties coming out of the Longside. Shortly after Kindon scored I decided it was time to head home to Manchester.
    I had to work that night, so I was a couple of hundred yards up the road in the Fire Station, safely out of harm's way.

I don't know what has gone wrong with Scottish footy but when I started to watch in the 60's they were a powerhouse.
    When Celtic won the European Cup in 1967 every player was born within 30 miles of their ground. The English League Division One was full of Scots. We had Blacklaw, Thompson, Lochhead and Morgan for instance. Many managers were Scottish (Busby, Shankley etc).

Nowadays the talent seems to have dried up almost completely.

What happened?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)