+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Howay lads Geordies used to be fair.

Howay lads Geordies used to be fair.

I was in a cheerful mood this morning until I read the Steve Bruce thread.

Rafa has gone.

Ashley is still here and we want him gone but slagging off our new manager is not going to change things.

I won't go back to SJP until Ashley is gone but I won't slag off Bruce unless he deserves it.I used to live in the same area as his family and although I don't know him personally I used to drink in the Howdon Labour club sometimes the same as his dad.
    His dad was a staunch Toon fan even when his son was winning trophies with Man U. that is why Bruce took the job even though he knew it could be a poison chalice.

Hate Ashley all you like but just give Bruce a chance it's the right thing to do.

Bruce seems full of it to me.

Having said that, I don't have a big problem with him. Yet going from Rafa to him is very symbolic for how the club is run.

Did you read the article where Alan Shearer said as his mate they went for a meal and Bruce asked him about the job. Shearer said emphatically do not touch it, no no no. He ignored his advice! Last chance saloon and without the right number and quality of signings he knows he is walking into a bear pit.

Everyone gets a chance but as long as Ashely gets the fans and the manager he wants we are lumbered with him for the foreseeable future. Bruce has shown no football political acumen. The force of feeling after Rafa and the selling of and none renewal of our two top goal scorers plus the bull about the alleged takeover means he knows what he is walking into...a toxic atmosphere..his choice but no bunting will be hung out by me for him. He has a big point to prove and quickly if he wants to gain any real support.

This is the thing...I've had mates who support other clubs having a go saying that we're throwing our toys out the pram just because we don't like Steve Bruce, particularly because of his mackem connections.

ffs, they just don't get it. It's nowt to do with his past connections..although, admittedly, that won't help when it all goes tits up, which it will-it's to do with why we've employed him. a cheap, 11th choice, 3rd rate, second-class manager replacing a world-class, first rate manager.

Bruce out and take Ashley with him

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    This is the thing...I've had mates who support other clubs having a go saying that we're throwing our toys out the pram just because we don't like Steve Bruce, particularly because of his mackem connections.

ffs, they just don't get it. It's nowt to do with his past connections..although, admittedly, that won't help when it all goes tits up, which it will-it's to do with why we've employed him. a cheap, 11th choice, 3rd rate, second-class manager replacing a world-class, first rate manager.
    There's just no reply to that.

To address the OP, though...I do think he'll be given a chance.

The problem is that he hasn't got any leeway in terms of good will given the circumstances under which he took the job. Regardless of whether or not you'd expect someone in his position to take the job, the fact is that he's taken it under Ashley's terms so he's an 'Ashley man' which instantly puts him at odds with the vast majority of the fanbase (who are, imo, largely united against Ashley but terribly divided about what exactly to do-if anything- about it. )

Fans' patience has been stretched to-and beyond in many case-breaking point so this 'chance' he'll be given will be nowhere near that which it might be ordinarily. Not that the term 'ordinary' can ever be applied to this absolute fucking shambles of a club.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    I was in a cheerful mood this morning until I read the Steve Bruce thread.

Rafa has gone.

Ashley is still here and we want him gone but slagging off our new manager is not going to change things.

I won't go back to SJP until Ashley is gone but I won't slag off Bruce unless he deserves it.I used to live in the same area as his family and although I don't know him personally I used to drink in the Howdon Labour club sometimes the same as his dad.
    His dad was a staunch Toon fan even when his son was winning trophies with Man U. that is why Bruce took the job even though he knew it could be a poison chalice.

Hate Ashley all you like but just give Bruce a chance it's the right thing to do.
    Due respect to you Sherwood, but no, not for me - this is what Ashley wants us to do be goos children and just accept tge status quo. He defied advice to take the job so fk him along with Ashley.

I dont even see Bruce as a manager tbh, see him like I see Trumps vice presdent - a gimp in there to toe the line and play second fiddle and be a good boy.

Nothing against Bruce. I would feel exactly the same about anyone who took the job with their eyes wide open.

Bruce should be too old a cat to be fked by a kitten, so he must be complicit in it.

Going to say no more about the situation now. You all know my position by now and I feel like I am doing nothing but spew negativity at the moment. Reflecting what I see if you like.

I think we all understand where you're coming from Sherwood, I know I can. I don't find it easy to slag off someone who's been in the job for one day - and it's a tough job. I even gave McClaren a fair chance as it looked like Ashley had decided to at least let Carr/Stcheve spend some money on building a decent team at that point. Doesn't mean I actually believed he would be successful, but I could've been proven wrong.

Bruce starts with a deficit on the trust account for me - but just like everyone else, he will definitely get the credit he deserves if he manages to do something positive with the team, no doubt. Even so, I still want Ashley out.

You are right, Sherwoodmag.

It's very hard but we need to find some way of separating the Ashley issue (obviously he's still not getting a penny off me and needs to p1ss off asap).

Bruce was nobodies first choice but he and any new signings need to start from scratch and be allowed the opportunity to prove themselves.

It's pre-season...can we not get back to discussing transfer rumours, formations etc?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)