+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Chaplin signs

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    People complained when we signed young loanees saying what’s the point getting them upto speed for other clubs. Now people complain when we don’t sign loan players. Stendel wanted Chaplin so that’ll do for me .
    I thought Chaplin was on the Spreadsheet radar long before Stendel arrived.

In my opinion the only three that Stendel has solely identified beyond those within the spreadsheet system have been Bahre, Radlinger and the Kone attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    This is a battle Hecky couldn't win with Cryne two seasons ago and I'd expect Stendel won't have any more joy either .

Hecky finally got fecked off with it and that contract in front of Stendel remains unsigned .

Ajax had one of the best young teams in europe last season but still had the nous to have a couple of older heads within the team .

At this stage of the season it would be churlish to dismiss the new players as not up to it , we will see soon enough .

There's always the thought that history is about to repeat itself but we have kept the nucleus of last seasons squad .

I do have my concerns defensively I have to say , last seasons success was built on a rock solid back four which allowed us to play a very expansive style of football , the whole high press philosophy goes out of the window if you are shipping goals at two and three a game .

Even with Pinnock and Lindsay remaining at the club it would still be tough to dominate the ball like we did last season at this higher level .

Teams in the championship will be far more accomplished at beating the press than teams did last season and when they do we have to be on it defensively or we will struggle massively .

On top of that the team are expected to play out from the back , relatively easy when Fleetwood , Rochdale and Gillingham have only the one up top and came to Oakwell more defensively minded .

We saw how playing out from the back can work out playing against higher level opposition when England came up against Holland recently .

Stendel could be the best coach on the planet but without the necessary quality on the park to carry out his philosophy then he will look a total clown too just as Hecky found out .

Interesting times ahead and all will be revealed in the weeks and months ahead .
    Am evving that one Animal.

I agree wi ivvery word onnit.

There are fears it could turn art like 2 years ago with a simular scenario happening with the turnover of players. What I would say is that these signings have clearly been planned and executed early which is how it should be done rather than scurrying around at the last minute or loaning players in at the 11th hour. The board have addressed this situation much better than the club has in previous years.

The big hole in defence is my main concern. It takes time to nurture an undertanding between the new signings and in the Championship it's much more difficult because of the opposition quality. They'll have to learn and learn quickly. This may well cost us some valuable points in the early games but i think most of us are realistic and accept that it dunt happen overnight.

We can't afford to lose any more key players this season in my opinion, not in this window or in January either. The Potts departure fortunately didn't cost us promotion last season. However, if that type of thing happens again next January and a key player leaves, then this league won't be as forgiving.

Good luck to all the new lads, give 100% and our supporters will always back you

The clubs recruitment policy has it's merits as far as keeping the club self sustainable without relying on an owners wealth to cover the financial holes .

The club have enjoyed a remarkable transformation from the days when we were losing thousands of pounds every week and owed the owner multi millions .

The club seem to be able to cover the loss of it's better players in league one without it affecting our promotion aspirations , Bradshaw and Potts left plus Moncur but we still got over the line .

The nut that remains to be cracked is this policy at Championship level .

The recruitment strategy should say that Andersen and Halme at a minimum have the same ability as Pinnock and Lindsay in the championship , the reality is they haven't but may have if they improve and develop at sometime in the future .

This is the thing when we are recruiting at this level and why many of us can see a need for a couple of older heads to come in and steady the ship .

Stendel can clearly see it and Hecky most certainly did as he experienced the reality of managing this scenario at this level .

Don't get me wrong there's much to be admired about supporting a self sustainable club and seeing young players given an opportunity .

The transition from selling our top talent and replacing them effectively would in my opinion be far easier with a couple of wise older heads around the dressing room at championship level .

All will be revealed in the months ahead .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The clubs recruitment policy has it's merits as far as keeping the club self sustainable without relying on an owners wealth to cover the financial holes .

The club have enjoyed a remarkable transformation from the days when we were losing thousands of pounds every week and owed the owner multi millions .

The club seem to be able to cover the loss of it's better players in league one without it affecting our promotion aspirations , Bradshaw and Potts left plus Moncur but we still got over the line .

The nut that remains to be cracked is this policy at Championship level .

The recruitment strategy should say that Andersen and Halme at a minimum have the same ability as Pinnock and Lindsay in the championship , the reality is they haven't but may have if they improve and develop at sometime in the future .

This is the thing when we are recruiting at this level and why many of us can see a need for a couple of older heads to come in and steady the ship .

Stendel can clearly see it and Hecky most certainly did as he experienced the reality of managing this scenario at this level .

Don't get me wrong there's much to be admired about supporting a self sustainable club and seeing young players given an opportunity .

The transition from selling our top talent and replacing them effectively would in my opinion be far easier with a couple of wise older heads around the dressing room at championship level .

All will be revealed in the months ahead .

Agree with that. Thing is with chucking a couple o older heads in there is that they will not be sold so if we were to sign a 32/33 year old on a 2/3 year contract then I'd expect they'd see it art and give us a degree of stability within the squad which we currently don't have due to our policy of regularly selling our players. The owners will say it's dead money considering their approach to running BFC but the experience a couple o older laikers would bring is surely going to help nudge our youthful squad in the right direction, thus helping to try and establish ourselves at championship level.

It is what it is at the end of the day. We all have ideas and opinions but they run it how they want when all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Agree with that. Thing is with chucking a couple o older heads in there is that they will not be sold so if we were to sign a 32/33 year old on a 2/3 year contract then I'd expect they'd see it art and give us a degree of stability within the squad which we currently don't have due to our policy of regularly selling our players. The owners will say it's dead money considering their approach to running BFC but the experience a couple o older laikers would bring is surely going to help nudge our youthful squad in the right direction, thus helping to try and establish ourselves at championship level.

It is what it is at the end of the day. We all have ideas and opinions but they run it how they want when all said and done.
    The thing is Pass , the football people can see it and I include coaches and supporters in that , safe to say many of us know more about football than the ownership .

The business people can't see it because they don't see what we see , the part between raw talent and championship ready and the impact that has on results in the championship .

I gather even Cryne watched a game of football rather than understood what was going on , two different things .

The football people don't totally control recruitment anymore , not just here but at the majority of clubs .

In my opinion there has to be a couple of Stendel only choices within this policy , this really does have to happen .

To be fair the great Dane siad in his interview that they will break the age policy if it's required.
    This to me says that they will go as we are and if it's not working they will most likely bring in some experience in January as he wants us to be challenging the top 6 rather than the bottom 6.
    Unfortunately he is an ex American Soccer player and he will quickly see that the Championship is way above the level of American soccer's top league and he will find out later rather than sooner that experience was required prior to the league starting and not half way through!

They did that in Jan 18 Perks pushing the panic button bringing in five.

Unfortunately they topped it off with Morais.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    .. That 17 match winless run was because the players had stopped playing for him..
    .. Those poor players won 5 drew 5 and lost 6 of their first 16 league games. They were holding their own.
    Then he fcuked about with the line up and tactics the 17 match winless run took us down because golden boll ocks lost the dressing room. Best thing he ever did was feck off to Leeds.
    Best post on here for a while Ponty, and I see you and Hecky still havent kissed and made up yet have you. lol
    And as we all saw, he most certainly wanst the messiah at Leeds was he.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Best post on here for a while Ponty, and I see you and Hecky still havent kissed and made up yet have you. lol
    And as we all saw, he most certainly wanst the messiah at Leeds was he.
    Neither was Warnock , go figure .

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast