+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alan Lee - Cult Hero

Alan Lee - Cult Hero

Afternoon all,

I am an Ipswich fan who is writing a blog based on former heroes of my childhood and would like the Crystal Palace opinion on Alan Lee,

For Ipswich he was the definition of workmanlike and carried our front line for multiple seasons.

I have seen that for Rotherham he has become something of a cult hero for a goal vs Brentford, would 'cult hero' be a fair opinion on him?

Thanks for any help,

Best of luck for the season,

Portman Tales

He is a Rotherham legend through and through. Not just for that goal but for his all action style and hard work. A real fans favourite

It clicked for him at Rotherham. He was one of many pieces of a jigsaw that was put together by Ronnie Moore and John Breckin but he shone.

We took him from the Burnley reserves and was involved in the rise from the old fourth division to the 2nd division.

That goal against Brentford you mentioned was a fitting finish to the end of a fantastic season for him and the team.

He is a Millers hero or legend and will be always thought of fondly because he gave his all and achieved

More than a cult hero in my opinion. Club legend I'd say. The goal V Brentford is and always will be referred to as 'that goal'. It's not so much the actual goal, more so the prize that it brought. The score was 1-1 in the 90th minute of a must win division 2 (L1) game in the penultimate match of the season. Reading, the team in 3rd place and bookies favourites were losing at Colchester which as things stood, meant we would be going into the final game with a two point gap but a worse goal difference.
    Then in the dying seconds Alan Lee received the ball with his back to goal on the edge of the 18 yard box, and hit what looked like a fairly tame shot on the turn. In slow motion, the ball bobbled along the ground towards goal and past the Brentford keeper's flailing right hand and hit the back of the net.

'That Goal' meant I would be watching my team play in the second tier of English football for the first time in my life (I was 21), after pretty much accepting that Rotherham would only ever play in the bottom two divisions.

It wasn't just 'that goal' though. He was a physical embodiment of everything RUFC was and still is all about. A quality player who we really missed and never really replaced after he left.

Quote Originally Posted by BramleyMiller58 View Post

He also scored against Sheff Wednesday just for that he get club icon status

https://youtu.be/jTua5p3kLOQ

He was a real "lead the line" centre forward for us, in the Ronnie Moore mould. Always in the action - hard shot, good header of the ball. Quickly became a fans favourite and achieved international honours too.

I went to an event at NYS he was at last season and Warne, brecks and Guy Branston's stories about Alan lee were mainly about him smoking, being the worst trainer, always late, out drinking night's before matches and waking up in stranger's houses all the time. He nodded and laughed along with all of this and was really funny.

But on match day he went out there and performed brilliantly so Ronnie never fined him.

He also scored in this game for Palace against some team or other.
    Helped Palace avoid relegation and helped the other team achieve relegation.
    Obviously the result meant nothing at all to us but Lee's goal didn't hurt his hero status for Rotherham

The video doesn't show the other team's purple faced "fans" invading the pitch and bravely getting stuck into Palace fans, including women.

Ditto to all of the above.....

An easy way to describe him.....’I wish we had him playing for us now’

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast