+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Moon Landing - 50 years 20thJuly

The Moon Landing - 50 years 20thJuly

As a 7 1/2 year old I was fascinated by it and by space travel in general.

I still am........I’d love to see us reach Mars before I die.

We have to find a way out of our solar system because eventually our dying sun will swallow up our Earth,that’s if we haven’t already destroyed the place.

From my bedroom window I get an incredible view of the full moon each month......I still find it an awesome sight.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    As a 7 1/2 year old I was fascinated by it and by space travel in general.

I still am........I’d love to see us reach Mars before I die.

We have to find a way out of our solar system because eventually our dying sun will swallow up our Earth,that’s if we haven’t already destroyed the place.

From my bedroom window I get an incredible view of the full moon each month......I still find it an awesome sight.
    Similar age to you. I remember the news reporting the landing on the morning I was getting ready for school. I was a keen observer of the night sky back in the day. I've seen some fabulous sights such as the best ever Perseid meteor shower in 2004. When I actually heard some of em 'fizzing' overhead.

The total eclipse of the sun should have been the greatest highlight of all in 1999 but a massive disappointment. I was in Cornwall and it rained non stop all morning. They saw it on Eastenders though

The most unforgettable sight though was the comet Hale Bopp in 1997 which we will never see the likes of again. I still get a thrill when i see the odd iridium flare. Never saw any alien life though but having said that there are a heck of a lot of folks round here that, I swear, don't look human

I daresay Des will be along later to say the moon landing was a hoax

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    I daresay Des will be along later to say the moon landing was a hoax
    I doubt they could do it today Phil.
    The farthest they go now is to the ISS a couple of hundred mils away, 50 years ago they are said to have gone 238,000 miles to unknown terrain, landed and come back without incident.
    Now they are talking about taking people to Mars, a few million miles away. What will they build eat or drink the first ones there, it's a one way trip.
    I watched the landings and have been to Kennedy and seen the rockets and the primitive computers.
    I keep an open mind, but last year an unmanned probe to the moon met with disaster.

The Yanks never give up on anything once they have it, do you think they would allow other countries to take over and build stuff there?
    There would be KFC's and MacDonalds up there by now.
    1961, first man in space, 1968 last steam loco's, 1969 man on the moon. 2019 trips to the ISS.

I must have been the only person who did not bother watching the moon landing. I was totally disinterested in the whole space thing and I still am. My dad was really interested in it and despaired at my apathy towards it to the point we could have come to blows about it. Albion, music and girls were all I was interested in, now at my age its just Albion and music with the odd twitch now and again concerning the girls subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    I must have been the only person who did not bother watching the moon landing. I was totally disinterested in the whole space thing and I still am. My dad was really interested in it and despaired at my apathy towards it to the point we could have come to blows about it. Albion, music and girls were all I was interested in, now at my age its just Albion and music with the odd twitch now and again concerning the girls subject.

Seen one space shot you have seen them all - John Lennon.

I love space and the universe myself, the vastness of it, the timelessness. It's like a distorted mirror you are seeing things that far away that they may not be there now. I can't see how we can go any faster than the speed of light andthat would take us generations to get anywhere, Hundreds, thousands or millions of years in most cases.

Mars would take months to get there, people have already volunteered to go. They know it would be a one way trip, so how would they survive long enough to build bases, produce food and water etc?
    The logical explanation would be to do this on the Moon first, just a couple of weeks away. How many weeks have passed since 1969? We should be much farther down the road than messing about with a satelite a few hours travel away.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Seen one space shot you have seen them all - John Lennon.

I love space and the universe myself, the vastness of it, the timelessness. It's like a distorted mirror you are seeing things that far away that they may not be there now. I can't see how we can go any faster than the speed of light andthat would take us generations to get anywhere, Hundreds, thousands or millions of years in most cases.

Mars would take months to get there, people have already volunteered to go. They know it would be a one way trip, so how would they survive long enough to build bases, produce food and water etc?
    The logical explanation would be to do this on the Moon first, just a couple of weeks away. How many weeks have passed since 1969? We should be much farther down the road than messing about with a satelite a few hours travel away.
    The Apollo mission was at some points travelling at 7 miles per second Des.

Stourbridge to Tipton in less than a second,just think about that!

That’s already impossible to comprehend in my eyes so maybe speed of light may happen at some point.

I remember having the slides of it on my viewmaster, remember those?

Name:  viewmaster.jpeg
Views: 325
Size:  7.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    The Apollo mission was at some points travelling at 7 miles per second Des.

Stourbridge to Tipton in less than a second,just think about that!

That’s already impossible to comprehend in my eyes so maybe speed of light may happen at some point.
    Speed of light is still too slow for travelling any further than our solar system Mick.
    Our Galaxy the Milky Way is not the largest galaxy, yet if you travelled across from one end to the other travelling at the speed of light it would take you 100,000 years.

The stars in the Milky Way if converted into grains of salt would fill an Olympic sized swimming pool. There are probably more galaxies than stars in our own galaxy. All the stars in the Universe if converted into grains of sand would fill every beach on earth.
    Mind blowing stuff don't you think?

Einstein predicted the existence of wormholes. The theory is if an object is heavy enough ie a giant star, it would bend space time thus creating a 'short cut' between two points in space or even two universes. Imagine an object dropped between a large piece of paper then the two ends would be closer together. So sub light spreed would allow vast distances to be covered. However wormholes are yet to be discovered

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)