+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unpaid Player Walkout

If I was an unpaid player in the club’s present situation, I’d be looking for assurances from the prospective purchasers rather than from the present owner.

The 2-week deadline passed several days ago and as far as we know, no player has walked out so far. Nor has any of them breached the embargo on speaking to the press, apart from a rather vague story about AH storming out of a meeting (and even that might not have come from a player. There are also a few “trialists “, some of whom may be signings in waiting. Perhaps the squad has already had some contact with the prospective new owners and this is why they are being patient?

Purely speculation on my part I should add. I know nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    Here's another thing...

Is there any precedent for postponing a match in the National League because of not having enough players? Matches have been postponed because of ground issues, flooding, storm damage, electrical failure etc.

What i'm getting at, is there any way that the National League might postpone say our first 2 matches IF assurances were in place that the takeover was definitely going ahead? I'm not talking about anything coming from Hardy's mouth either, I mean from the buyers themselves !!

P.S. If anybody has got the time here are the full National League Rules.

http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/...es-1013?page=0
    Why would they? If we couldn't fulfill the first two games we would forfeit them if they allow us to start the season

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    Here's another thing...

Is there any precedent for postponing a match in the National League because of not having enough players? Matches have been postponed because of ground issues, flooding, storm damage, electrical failure etc.

What i'm getting at, is there any way that the National League might postpone say our first 2 matches IF assurances were in place that the takeover was definitely going ahead? I'm not talking about anything coming from Hardy's mouth either, I mean from the buyers themselves !!

P.S. If anybody has got the time here are the full National League Rules.

http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/...es-1013?page=0
    I think, but am not sure and don't know at what level, but games have surely been postponed in the past when ilness has swept through a club, making them unable to field a team?

What happened to Man Utd's imminent fixtures after Munich?

Not being able to field a team because you haven't paid them and have a moron for an owner, is a totally different affliction.

Perhaps we can claim temporary insanity.
    Last edited by Nottsowell; 20-07-2019 at 01:01 PM.

I think it was in about 1992 that Maidstone United found themselves in severe financial difficulties at the start of the season. They were allowed to postpone their first match because they couldn’t field a team, but when things didn’t improve they were expelled (or perhaps they folded) a few days later.

But that was the EFL and nearly 30 years ago, so I’m not sure if the NL would follow the precedent.

I'm interested in the statements that players won't get paid what they are owed if they walk out. What's the basis for that or have I misunderstood ? Surely they are owed for services already provided and why would the fact that they refuse to provide further unpaid work affect that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    I think it was in about 1992 that Maidstone United found themselves in severe financial difficulties at the start of the season. They were allowed to postpone their first match because they couldn’t field a team, but when things didn’t improve they were expelled (or perhaps they folded) a few days later.

But that was the EFL and nearly 30 years ago, so I’m not sure if the NL would follow the precedent.
    It's probably the best example we have though.

In other matters, we seem to be attracting a decent quality of trialist. Liam O'Brien has a fair few games under his belt as a goalkeeper and Damien McCrory has played nearly 200 league games for Burton, many of them in the Championship. He's 29 now, but that's a youngster by our standards. I wonder what they've been promised? Maybe just BS.

Oh, we're playing a game today, btw. Is anyone actually there?
    Last edited by Bohinen; 20-07-2019 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Late onset dyslexia

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    It's probably the best example we have though.

In other matters, we seem to be attracting a decent quality of trialist. Liam O'Brien has a fair few games under his belt as a goalkeeper and Damien McCrory has played nearly 200 league games for Burton, many of them in the Championship. He's 29 now, but that's a youngster by our standards. I wonder what they've been promised? Maybe just BS.

Oh, we're playing a game today, btw. Is anyone actually there?
    Last I heard about 350 tickets had been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Last I heard about 350 tickets had been sold.
    I thought the PFA were stepping in to help with player wages

Any walkout would surely involve the PFA and a statement would be made by them or the player as effectively that is their union.

Quote Originally Posted by Nottsowell View Post
    I think, but am not sure and don't know at what level, but games have surely been postponed in the past when ilness has swept through a club, making them unable to field a team?

What happened to Man Utd's imminent fixtures after Munich?
    The immediate game planned for 2 days afterwards was a home fixture v Wolves and programmes had been printed. Needless to say it was postponed.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957%E...ed_F.C._season
    and also
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957%E...ed_F.C._season

I seem to recall a TV program which showed that they were loaned players from nearby clubs to be able to field a full side.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmagpie View Post
    I'm interested in the statements that players won't get paid what they are owed if they walk out. What's the basis for that or have I misunderstood ? Surely they are owed for services already provided and why would the fact that they refuse to provide further unpaid work affect that ?
    Because by walking out they are cancelling their contract, which under normal circumstances they can't just rip up their deal, under these circumstances they can but then obviously they have no contract and won't be owed any future money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast