+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tommy Gemmell’s Boots

Tommy Gemmell’s Boots

I see TG’s Euro Cup winning boots sold recently.

It’s amazing how things have changed since 1967. I watched a short documentary on the final. One thing stood out, all of the players on the pitch that day were born within 30 miles of Glasgow.

Bosman amongst other people have a lot to answer for. How different would Scottish football be today if we could only pick from home grown players? How better developed would our game be from the grass roots ?

Really? All 11 born Glasgow? I find that hard to believe. I've never heard anyone mention that. Not one single time. Imagine if all Scottish players stayed in Scotland and didn't chase money. Imagine that. Imagine that US,Arab.

Quote Originally Posted by japanarab View Post
    Really? All 11 born Glasgow? I find that hard to believe. I've never heard anyone mention that. Not one single time. Imagine if all Scottish players stayed in Scotland and didn't chase money. Imagine that. Imagine that US,Arab.
    Within 30 miles of Glasgow.

I've heard that mentioned a few times over the years, not least from my Celtic supporting mate that I went to college with. Every player was local to Glasgow as I recall.

His managers jacket from his time at Dens didna fetch much,mind you there was a time he was all over the papers saying we are gonna take the game to Celtic (think it was a League Cup game at Dens),it finished 7-1 to Celtic.

He also once infamously set out a hopelessly mismatched Funster XI with the sole intention to put the likes of Luggy and Pettigrew in the DRI in a Scottish Cup game at Tannadice in January 1980. In the end they were lucky to finish with nine and equally lucky to take only five on a magical night when Wullie P put them to the sword for four of them.

I think some folk may have missed Japan's sarcastic tone. 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I think some folk may have missed Japan's sarcastic tone. ��
    I got it very early mate,earlier even than that chip into the TC Keay end on the 14th of May 1983,WASC,FACT.

We should have just bought the laces and gave them to our penalty takers........Tommy knew how to put the laces through the ball.......and Helmut Hallers arse !

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)