+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday Times Article

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    It's a bloody awful article who someone who hasn't even tried to understand the issues in any depth. Take this: for in excess of £5m, which would be steepish for a lower-level Championship outfit

I know of a 'lower-level Championship outfit' not far from here that has changed hands more than once for far, far more than that. I agree Hardy's asking price is too high, but what does this man know about the true value of lower league teams?
    He's right in essence though, it's too high an asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    He's right in essence though, it's too high an asking price.
    Yeah, and the rest is just lazy journalism, the article being prompted by the PMQs, so Notts being a hot topic. I bet he didn't know where we were in the legaue pyramid until he looked it up.

And why are the owners of league two clubs such a despicable species when the PL is funded by oil barons and entire countries, who coincidentally have an appalling human rights record.

Re Notts, why not mention of the SA bid? Does it impress the readers more to talk about fraudsters and willies?

And lastly, we are where we are more from incompetence than over spending alone. The money has been wasted.
    Last edited by Bohinen; 21-07-2019 at 11:40 AM.

A fan of Rod Liddle? No, thank you. A classic case of running with the hare and hunting with the hounds. In yesterday's Grauniad, Liddle's book about Brexit was rightly crucified. 5 years ago he wrote a book slamming the chav generation, the British unenfranchised working class, basically saying they were thick, lazy good for nothings. In his Brexit book the same people are the leaver heroes who have told the political class where to get off.
    Like so many ex radicals who turn in their dotage, Liddle's opinions are frequently to the right of Gengis Khan... no wonder so many Notts fans think he's pure gold.

Sounds like another journalist copying from another

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    A fan of Rod Liddle? No, thank you. A classic case of running with the hare and hunting with the hounds. In yesterday's Grauniad, Liddle's book about Brexit was rightly crucified. 5 years ago he wrote a book slamming the chav generation, the British unenfranchised working class, basically saying they were thick, lazy good for nothings. In his Brexit book the same people are the leaver heroes who have told the political class where to get off.
    Like so many ex radicals who turn in their dotage, Liddle's opinions are frequently to the right of Gengis Khan... no wonder so many Notts fans think he's pure gold.
    Here we go, as ever you have to politicise everything, it was always going to be when not if.
    He likes his football, he's not wrong about Notts' plight, his views on everything else irrelevant to this thread.
    You just can't help yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post

Yawnnnnnnnn...

Until Hardy accepts he's lost everything and drops the asking price to £1 this purgatory will just carry on.
    There is nothing to sell, just a burden to transfer to the next wealthy group who want a football club.
    Why should he though? If he has lost everything, getting something will be better than nothing. He is holding out to get the best deal for himself. Taking a pound will not be on his radar, he might as well let us go to the wall and get nothing than take a pound.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Why should he though? If he has lost everything, getting something will be better than nothing. He is holding out to get the best deal for himself. Taking a pound will not be on his radar, he might as well let us go to the wall and get nothing than take a pound.
    and what do you think is happening that is different to the above? We're going to the wall or any potential buyers are waiting for us to go to the wall.

The club isn't worth the reckless debts he's built up, let alone something for his pocket - which no doubt the Paragon administrators would want first anyway.

Here we go, as ever you have to politicise everything, it was always going to be when not if. He likes his football, he's not wrong about Notts' plight, his views on everything else irrelevant to this thread.
    You just can't help yourself.
    I know what you mean, but I didn't know he was a Conservative until I read his Wikipedia entry.

What came across to me is that he thinks we deserve our fate, without being able to separate Hardy from the fans in that 'we'. Like Thatcher, he seems quite happy for businesses/communities to go to the wall if they can't pay their way. So although I didn't realise how right wing he clearly is, and I criticised his article on his shallow examination of our issues, I tend to agree with Sid on this occasion.

Btw, it was a great contribution by Soccerman in the Nottingham Post comments, who found time amonst the Notts stories to go on about 'Steptoe'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    I know what you mean, but I didn't know he was a Conservative until I read his Wikipedia entry.

What came across to me is that he thinks we deserve our fate, without being able to separate Hardy from the fans in that 'we'. Like Thatcher, he seems quite happy for businesses/communities to go to the wall if they can't pay their way. So although I didn't realise how right wing he clearly is, and I criticised his article on his shallow examination of our issues, I tend to agree with Sid on this occasion.

Btw, it was a great contribution by Soccerman in the Nottingham Post comments, who found time amonst the Notts stories to go on about 'Steptoe'.
    Apart from the money put in by his Paragon enterprises why on earth should any other business have to suffer losses (well, Branston apart) on account of some egotistical trip. AFC Notts can serve the community so that argument does not stand. What do you want? Nationalisation!!

The only way to stop it (and Bury and Bolton) is for the FA, the Premiership, the EFL and now the NL all to take a different, and, more communal, stance. The money is there but those at the top are enjoying it too much to rock the boat perhaps.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast