+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gone this Week?

Gone this Week?

I've been really positive this preseason. It seemed to have been one of building for an immediate return to the Championship and I still believe we can but this week that optimism can be lost.

A huge amount for this season depends on what happens this week!

Losing Vassell will show that the ethos that Warne has is for letting players go if they don't want to be here is central to his beliefs.

If this promising young keeper arrives then we'll be happy as long as he's more like Rodak than Roos when he was with us.

The central midfielder, the wide player, the full back and the undisclosed utility player coming in will be competing for first team places. It is adding to the feeling of being in a great position to start a season.

But if we lose any other key players that we know have preformed well for us we could be looking at a policy of longer term rebuild and by that I mean that we have to think of next season for the charge to the Championship.

Salford need to **** off

Seriously if Vassell wants to go to a club with no fans for money then he’s gone down in my expectations.

It’s a good job they now have names on shirt, I won’t recognise side

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I've been really positive this preseason. It seemed to have been one of building for an immediate return to the Championship and I still believe we can but this week that optimism can be lost.

A huge amount for this season depends on what happens this week!

Losing Vassell will show that the ethos that Warne has is for letting players go if they don't want to be here is central to his beliefs.

If this promising young keeper arrives then we'll be happy as long as he's more like Rodak than Roos when he was with us.

The central midfielder, the wide player, the full back and the undisclosed utility player coming in will be competing for first team places. It is adding to the feeling of being in a great position to start a season.

But if we lose any other key players that we know have preformed well for us we could be looking at a policy of longer term rebuild and by that I mean that we have to think of next season for the charge to the Championship.
    Fully agree. It will be very difficult for the team to gel quickly if we lose any more regulars.

My confidence has dropped due to Ajayi leaving for such a pittance, followed by a very poor defensive performance at Chesterfield. I also thought that the fluid front 3 that we look like we are going to use didn't work with Morris/Ladapo and Smith. Vassell has been our best player in pre-season by far so to lose him would be pretty shocking. Changing the squad around 10 days before the start of the season also seems strange. What is the point of the pre-season and going on tour if a large percentage of your squad come in at the last minute??

We wouldn't be Rotherham United if we didn't do things at the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by tony260674 View Post
    My confidence has dropped due to Ajayi leaving for such a pittance, followed by a very poor defensive performance at Chesterfield. I also thought that the fluid front 3 that we look like we are going to use didn't work with Morris/Ladapo and Smith. Vassell has been our best player in pre-season by far so to lose him would be pretty shocking. Changing the squad around 10 days before the start of the season also seems strange. What is the point of the pre-season and going on tour if a large percentage of your squad come in at the last minute??
    Will need another mini pre season to gel the new squad members

Maybe take the opportunity of the free week that the Pompey cancellation provides ?

Good idea but as it’s a Bank Holiday I think PW will have the bbq out

Quote Originally Posted by tony260674 View Post
    That's the problem with the transfer window and player/agent power though isn't it Tony? It's pretty much impossible for a manager to plan coherently or with any confidence throughout the window and when players' heads are being turned by offers from elsewhere.
    I'm pretty sure Paul Warne would have loved to keep the majority of the squad together but when Ajayi, for example, is offered more than double what he was earning here, he's obviously going to move on.
    Hopefully we'll bring in a few decent signings this week but when, rather than if, Robertson goes we're going to need two more central defenders.
    Tough times for Warne but that's the nature of his job and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a couple more setbacks before the window closes.
    He does seem to be assembling a decent squad though despite all the problems.