+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7

I think part of the problem is that the art of 'spotting a player' seems to have been lost, it certainly has at Notts, there are many factors that have affected us and why we haven't seen the next draper or johnson.

Poor recruitment in coaching and scouting (#ballerz wtf did guy branston ever know about being a player?)

The short life span of managers who cannot afford to take the risk of blooding youngsters when their time could be up in under 6 months.

The attitude of young players in general is not IMO as it was in the days of apprentices in the 80's early 90's.

At the first sign of any potential, bigger clubs come in and sign them for nothing plus addons on the off chance they may become good players.

I would much prefer to see a load of young lads from notts come through and break into the first team over the course of a few years than all the 35 year old has beens who are looking for a final payday but everything about the way the club has been run has been against us doing so for nearly 2 decades, I hope we completely reinvent the club and its attitude towards youth prospects, we need a philosophy and identity as a club, and a manager who has stability and time to be able to oversee the rise from young prospect to first teamer,it isn't going to happen overnight

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    So tell me who those players are NOW, because anyone can name them with the benefit of hindsight. I don't remember you (or anyone else) complaining when we released Luther Wildin and Colby Bishop. Which young players deserves a chance?

Don't be so f*cking stupid, of course I get that. Just name me the "one or two players a season who go on to forage decent careers at L1 and L2 level" that we've produced? Off the top of my head I can think of Curtis Thompson and Luther Wildin in the last five years. Please enlighten me as to the ones I've missed.

Without doubt??? It's only part of the solution if the young uns are good enough. If not, they merely add to the problem.
    And herein lies the problem eLite. The word NOW! We are not going to produce players who can go on to forage in the football league by continuing with our more recent transfer policy. I think we all agree on that. A lot of it wont happen 'NOW!' and if you want things to happen 'NOW!' then be prepared for Hardy / Trew / Munto Mark II in the not too distant future. If you look at the team sheet against Walsall you will see several young players on there such as Dunn and Osborne who have come through the ranks at Notts and will surely get a chance this season.We have also off loaded Donga and Etite for not inconsiderable sums in recent years although they saw the bright lights of the prem and anonymity in a development squad on a big wage over ploughing a trade in the lower leagues. So we have actually achieved a bit. Clearly the ongoing policy needs to be ramped up in this area and sorry me duck it won't happen overnight. In addition to this and in the words of Taylor Swift "you need to calm down". Get with the picture.

I hate to come across all Sid (no, really) but if anyone uses the word forage instead of forge again in this interesting exchange, I’m chucking my phone at the wall.

I really need a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfatpie View Post
    i hate to come across all sid (no, really) but if anyone uses the word forage instead of forge again in this interesting exchange, i’m chucking my phone at the wall.

I really need a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I hate to come across all Sid (no, really) but if anyone uses the word forage instead of forge again in this interesting exchange, I’m chucking my phone at the wall.

I really need a hobby.
    Have fun foraging for it if you do. Try stamp collecting its ace.

Why play the kids when Branston has his YouTube collection for us to look at !!

At the end of the day we are going to be forced into this route now so people better get used to it and it’s not as if buying so called experienced pro’s have done us much good or maybe our scouts don’t have eyes, who knows ?

This season is a write off anyway and I would take finishing 5th from bottom now we are going to be left with the dregs it wouldn’t surprise me if we signed Duffy or Brisley back up which might not be a bad thing if they accept much lower wages as far as I’m aware they don’t have a club yet.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    And herein lies the problem eLite. The word NOW! We are not going to produce players who can go on to forage in the football league by continuing with our more recent transfer policy. I think we all agree on that. A lot of it wont happen 'NOW!' and if you want things to happen 'NOW!'
    If you bothered to read my post, I didn't ask for players to be produced NOW, I simply asked you to name the good ones NOW. I also asked you to name the players we've missed out on. I didn't get a lot of response.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post

I really need a hobby.
    I'm just sitting here eating popcorn and waiting to see who uses 'apart' instead of 'a part' first.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Why play the kids when Branston has his YouTube collection for us to look at !!

At the end of the day we are going to be forced into this route now so people better get used to it and it’s not as if buying so called experienced pro’s have done us much good or maybe our scouts don’t have eyes, who knows ?
    Interestingly, we have a classic case of youngster v journeyman in Remaye Campbell and Nathan Tyson. I was optimistic about Campbell this time last season and thought Tyson was poor when we had him on loan. I've seen both of them in the games against Ilkeston and Walsall, and Tyson looked sharp while Campbell struggled to get involved. So do we stick with Campbell in the hope he will improve with game time? I know who I would rather see lining up to face Eastleigh, and it isn't Campbell.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I'm just sitting here eating popcorn and waiting to see who uses 'apart' instead of 'a part' first.
    I'm surprised nobody picked up on DONGa and eTITe i'm still not sure if that was intentional

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast