+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T George Galloway

O/T George Galloway

Hey Everyone !

Off topic, but interested to hear english perspective on what you guys think of George Galloway?

Been going down the Galloway youtube rabbit hole, so far i admire that he seems to be pretty consistent with his views although i think he is a bit in denial regarding Islamic terrorism although i do appreciate and agree with a lot of points regarding the reasoning for the terrorism in the first place. (Iraq , Afghanstian etc)

But yeah just interested in a local perspective really.

The man is a self-centred pr ick

Egotist of the first order and a misogynist. Political dinosaur but clever with words.

I agree with both Curian and TerryMac. He seems to foist his views on those he can influence the easiest.

Rather like a poor comedian getting easy cheap laughs from non thinking audiences.

His wife is a Palestinian Arab so his views always side with Arabs no matter what they do.

A bit like Corbyn who always excuses terrorists if they have Marxist views like himself,a professional protester not a doer.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    His wife is a Palestinian Arab so his views always side with Arabs no matter what they do.

A bit like Corbyn who always excuses terrorists if they have Marxist views like himself,a professional protester not a doer.
    A bit like Brexiteers claiming that Brexit would be easy and uncomplicated, some still do

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    A bit like Brexiteers claiming that Brexit would be easy and uncomplicated, some still do
    It could have been uncomplicated if the government had told them that we were leaving and not asked for a deal.

Germany sells us six times that we sell them.The Fench and Italian wine and fruit growers will be in the crap if we stopped buying.
    Only Ireland buys more off us than we buy off them.

May should never play poker,going to Brussels and saying can we have a deal please is like showing your cards.

It could have been uncomplicated if the government had told them that we were leaving and not asked for a deal.

Germany sells us six times that we sell them.The Fench and Italian wine and fruit growers will be in the crap if we stopped buying.

May should never play poker,going to Brussels and saying can we have a deal please is like showing your cards.
    It was that simple all along? A hard brexit was all it took? No way. It is a lot more complicated than that. And I think you know it.

Let’s see how Boris handles the situation. He’s a master of lying, but let’s see if he can deliver what he’s promised.

More tax cuts for the most wealthy before anything else though I’m sure...

Ignoring Brexit since this is about Galloway.

I think the guy is a prick of the highest order. Eveything he does is about him and how nothing is his fault etc.

He's right up there with Corbyn for politicians I despise.

No deal doesn't make for a less complex situation mate, it makes for a more complex one. As a business owner, I've spent the last few years not knowing what terms I'd be trading on after Brexit, and no deal is actually way more complex than the current one since tariffs vary drastically across industry sectors and nobody else in the world deals on those terms - this will mean all sorts of practical difficulties if we suddenly move to that overnight in October. Many of our partners are based in the EU too, and none of us know what's going to happen! There's actually a chance we might be out of business, sadly, since we've only just turned a profit and the weakening pound is posing some real difficulties to our whole model. Same with my dad's company, and that's a much bigger and more robust firm in a totally different sector. It's pretty devastating!

Also, the idea that we buy in more than we sell to them being an advantage for us isn't necessarily so. If tariffs on EU goods go up as a result of no deal, then the theory this idea works on is that fewer people will buy theirs products, which is obviously bad for those businesses. But ultimately if people need or want those goods, they'll just pay more for them, so it's the British public who end up out of pocket since the costs are passed back to us by those manufacturers/retailers (the same obviously goes in the other direction too). You then have to look at what is being sold, and who is buying, to work out whether the theoretical advantage will apply. My guess is that wine-drinkers are more interested in quality than in price (though not with a total disregard to value, obviously), so if a good French wine goes from £10 per bottle at the supermarket to £11 per bottle, it isn't going to put a lot of people off. But I'd guess that the demand for British wine isn't quite as high as it is for French or Italian, so it's likely our winemakers will get the ****ty end of the no deal stick. The same goes for German car manufacturers - those of us who drive BMWs or Mercedes probably bought them because of the quality and despite the price (there are way cheaper cars on the market that can get us from A to . It might be a different story for fruit, or something else, but the reality is that businesses on both sides are going to be adversely affected - and plenty have already been even prior to leaving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)