+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steven Defour

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Sorry Whitty, we just can't afford to wait. We need to cancel his contract and bring in a replacement ASAP!
    Good luck with that BT , i mean signing players of his quality is easy for us we are literally fighting
    Them off.
    Rigg will have a world beater up his sleeve for less than 10 million and 30k a week.

Defour is a class act and no doubt when he’s fit and on it , I don’t think his body can cope though at this level of football and accepting his age.

I’m pretty sure though he’d rather be playing than not —— slagging him off on here isn’t the answer he hasn’t done it on purpose.

...We need to cancel his contract and bring in a replacement ASAP!;
    I'd agree that we need a replacement but there's no point in 'cancelling his contract' as we'd be required to pay out his salary to the end of it anyway; keep him under contract until it expires and we might at least get a game or two out of him. As noted the lad's had injury and fitness issues from way back, that's no doubt why we were able to secure his services in the first place - we took the risk; what surprised me was that we then gave him an extension to that initial contract and that I felt was a risk too far.

I can't see anyone "slagging him off" army88. We need to squeeze the lemon, we need value for money; Defour, Wells, Gibson and Vydra are providing us with none. Shut the lot.

I can't see anyone "slagging him off" army88. We need to squeeze the lemon, we need value for money; Defour, Wells, Gibson and Vydra are providing us with none. Shut the lot.
    I get it BT but it can’t be as black and white as that , Gibson hasn’t had a chance due to injury and then the two centre backs getting it together second half of season, Wells I agree we should sell however re really hasn’t had a chance and you could argue the same of Vydra , Sean bought them after all said and done.

This is why I get frustrated with recruiting I mean if we had paid 15 million for a younger midfielder would we be reaping the benefits now instead of 10 million on Vydra panic buy really.

I still think Gibson was here because of Mee s contract at the time ( no one came in for Ben hence he signed a new deal and Gibson missed out ).
    And I’ve also posted before that across all the continents and Europe there isn’t a player that fits our wage structure or buying policy, a player that needs a platform to shop window himself for two seasons.
    Really ? I would genuinely be amazed that no player wants to come and play in the best league in the world because Burnley is small and un attractive to them and can only pay lower wages.

The whole of football is a gamble ,every day I mean Vydra could have started 10 games and scored in 8 of them and then broke his leg and been out a year.
    There is calculated risk I understand that but buying players like we have been doing ( last season ) is no more or less a risk than a player from Africa or Asia or Europe.

Lets say we get shut and pay his contract up what then you have just spent the money for the replacement. we might as well keep him and maybe get a few games out of him at some point this season and use the money to bring in a replacement. there is nothing to say once D4 gets over the latest set back he can't get 15 games in this year and I would much prefer it to be for us than Sheff U, Villa or any other team in this league that might take a chance on a free Steven Defour.
    he has had surgery on a muscle injury that in itself says it was pretty bad as most muscle injuries only take time and physio to heal not surgery.
    "hasn't got the professionalism to graft his way back to full fitness" if calling him unprofessional isn't slagging him off then I don't know what is.

Wells yes i agree was a panic waste of money Vydra on the other hand I think will be ramming the critics words down their throats this season, him and Jay have styles that will compliment each other just as Barnes and Wood do.
    Gibson also might prove to be an astute signing should he get the chance.
    Last edited by whittyclaretandblue; 29-07-2019 at 02:55 PM.

I don't think I can recall one Madder ever saying that Defour is nothing but a top class footballer, but we are not getting any value from him. Right now even if he was fit, he would not get past Cork and Westwood. I'm at a loss why we speculated on him in the first place. All round another £8 million plus top wages that could have been better used elsewhere.

I sincerely hope Rigg's outcome is better than the last lot!

I don't think I can recall one Madder ever saying that Defour is nothing but a top class footballer, but we are not getting any value from him. Right now even if he was fit, he would not get past Cork and Westwood. I'm at a loss why we speculated on him in the first place. All round another £8 million plus top wages that could have been better used elsewhere.

I sincerely hope Rigg's outcome is better than the last lot!
    You're at a loss as to why we signed him BT, but you answer the question yourself, he was a top class footballer, and we desperately needed someone of his class. We still do.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    You're at a loss as to why we signed him BT, but you answer the question yourself, he was a top class footballer, and we desperately needed someone of his class. We still do.
    I bloody hope Rigg is worth his pay cheque, because NOW is the time for him to step up to the plate...

I bloody hope Rigg is worth his pay cheque, because NOW is the time for him to step up to the plate...
    Hmm, I've just said what I think should happen to Mr Rigg on another thread, can't remember which one. My suggestion would have entailed him becoming re-acquainted with his P45.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Hmm, I've just said what I think should happen to Mr Rigg on another thread, can't remember which one. My suggestion would have entailed him becoming re-acquainted with his P45.
    Pieters and Jay Rod are good acquisitions. Vokes had gone beyond his sell by date. So far not bad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)