+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matchday 1 - Inverness home

Matchday 1 - Inverness home

After the frustration of last Tuesday i have no idea what to expect this Saturday but will return to Tanadice in the usual optimistic hope that things will just suddenly click.

Will Robbie change from what we have seen so far or will he continue with the same tactics that are frustrating so many? My biggest hope is that we do not see Clark’s name in the starting 11. Cammy Smith alongside Shankland would be my pick but if not then the nod has got to go to Appere who has done a lot of good in pre season but ideally i’d having him coming off the bench after 70 mins to run the hopefully tired Inverness backline about. Biggest problem for me in selection is who plays attacking left? I cant see a youngster getting the nod and other than playing Smith out there the only other option is Robson ahead of Sporle and i realy don’t like that much. With under a week to go until start of the season i would have liked another winger option. The bench is going to need to start looking a lot stronger if we are to challenge this season.

Inverness will turn up with the usual hard to beat and kick anyone who dares to pass them approach. We are missing a player in Pawlett still from Donaldson’s (my pick for worst ever United center half) wild tackle in the away playoff game!

My starting 11.
    Benji
    L.Smith Connolly Reynolds(C) Sporle
    McMullan Butcher Harkes Robson
    C. Smith Shankland.

Bench.
    Deniz, Watson, King, Stanton, Banks, Chalmers, Appere.

What i think Robbie’s starting 11.
    Benji
    L.smith Connolly Reynolds(C) Sporle
    Butcher Stanton
    McMullan Clark Robson
    Shankland.

Prediction -
    United 2-1 Inverness

Well, given the choice of those two line ups, you starting 11 gets my vote.

Just realised i never put Clark in with the subs. Would have him on there instead of Chalmers.

Think i would prefer Deniz in goal and Stanton in ahead of Harkes, but only just.

If RN insists with 1 up top, 4-1-4-1 the defence and Shankland up front picks itself with Butcher behind McMullan, C Smith, Stanton, Robson.

Then again, Bouhenna might change his mind, a new winger signs up, and a new central defender is drawn oot the hat.

Doom hat on - i think we are ****ed this season...again

Can't wait, think the doomers will have to snap out of it eventually, now it's the time they did and got behind the team for the season the way the rest will their own sides instead of dwelling on the playoffs

If everyone was fit then

In a 4231
    Benji
    Smith Connelly Reynolds Sporle
    Butcher Harkes
    Mcmullan C. Smith Pawlett
    Shankland

Or
    In a 433 (good option to go from defence to attack and be solid)
    Benji
    King Butcher Harkes
    Mcmullan Shankland Pawlett

For this game though more tricky with Pawlett not an option so I'd like to see

Benji
    Butcher Harkes
    Mcmullan C. Smith Appere
    Shankland

I'd go with your last one there shedka.

There is nothing wrong with the 4-2-3-1 formation if you have the players to play it,i think they should add this to the Largs coaching manual.

4-2-3-1 can only be used if you have fullbacks like Andy Robertson,holding players equal to Gomis,a three behind the striker as good as GMS,Gauld and Armstrong and a spearhead equivalent to Ciftci.If you do not have players of that calibre at your disposal and you are an established Championship side stick to the tried and tested 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 for the more adventurous amon gst you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arab_1988 View Post
    After the frustration of last Tuesday i have no idea what to expect this Saturday but will return to Tanadice in the usual optimistic hope that things will just suddenly click.

Will Robbie change from what we have seen so far or will he continue with the same tactics that are frustrating so many? My biggest hope is that we do not see Clark’s name in the starting 11. Cammy Smith alongside Shankland would be my pick but if not then the nod has got to go to Appere who has done a lot of good in pre season but ideally i’d having him coming off the bench after 70 mins to run the hopefully tired Inverness backline about. Biggest problem for me in selection is who plays attacking left? I cant see a youngster getting the nod and other than playing Smith out there the only other option is Robson ahead of Sporle and i realy don’t like that much. With under a week to go until start of the season i would have liked another winger option. The bench is going to need to start looking a lot stronger if we are to challenge this season.

Inverness will turn up with the usual hard to beat and kick anyone who dares to pass them approach. We are missing a player in Pawlett still from Donaldson’s (my pick for worst ever United center half) wild tackle in the away playoff game!

My starting 11.
    Benji
    L.Smith Connolly Reynolds(C) Sporle
    McMullan Butcher Harkes Robson
    C. Smith Shankland.

Bench.
    Deniz, Watson, King, Stanton, Banks, Chalmers, Appere.

What i think Robbie’s starting 11.
    Benji
    L.smith Connolly Reynolds(C) Sporle
    Butcher Stanton
    McMullan Clark Robson
    Shankland.

Prediction -
    United 2-1 Inverness
    Robson should be absolutely no where near a starting 11

Totally agree, however the only other options i see for left mid are Chalmers and Banks and i don’t think starting a youngster against what will be a very physical Inverness team is the way to go. Could also ask Appere to go out and do a job on the left but i’ve been screaming at Neilson to play players in their natural position and i see Appere as more of a central forward. So barring an arrival or two this week i think it has to be Robson until Pawlett is fit?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)