+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does sacking a manager make you any better?

Does sacking a manager make you any better?

I’m not calling for Ardleys head. We cannot keep trying the same old routine, sacking manager after manager has gotten us nowhere. A few years ago a study was done on this and proved that sacking your manager makes no difference. Whilst I can understand folk saying we should have got rid of NA, we didn’t, we haven’t a clue on funds at the club and we need to stabilise. NA is our manager let’s wipe the slate clean, forget what’s happened before.

New season, new league. COYP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23724517

Largely agree. However sacking a manager sometimes does make a difference (Fullerton) . Just shows you what surveys and studies achieve .
    No sacking after sacking isn't good and doesn't work. Ardley though has to show he's capable and shape up to the job in the next few months.

I can't believe what i'm seeing on here since yesterday people already calling for Ardley to go is mental, i was all for getting rid after last seasons last game, he didn't impress and wasn't in my opinion worthy of leading us for another season.....however, for whatever reasons the owners have stuck with him and hes there now, hiring and firing managers costs money, a lot of money in some instances, it's like people have already forgotten how close we came to becoming extinct!!

Where are all the people who were happy with rebuilding,survival and stability?? it seems a couple of decent transfers in and some expect a title challenge!!

Seriously it was one match against a decent outfit that finished in the playoffs last year...away from home....it wasn't our strongest 11....and they had hardly any time for preparation, give the guy a break, he's clearly not completely useless having gotten afc wimbledon into L1, it may turn out he isn't the man to lead us into the future but just for once can we get off a managers back and let them have a full season to show what they can do. without the pressure of fans calling for his head after every defeat he might have a better chance of getting on with his actual job.

He'll probably go and win 3 on the bounce now and those calling for his head will be wanting a statue putting up.

Ardley at some point will get the sack, all managers have a lifespan, just the way it is.
    Calling for his head after one game with a scratch team cobbled together from leftovers can't be the answer though.
    We sacked John Sheridan who been effective everywhere, Keith Curle who's not made any of his team's worse, Martin Allen when he was doing ok.
    We've employed the likes of Kiwomya, Derry,Fullerton, Short, Kewell who should never have been given the chance.
    The one constant is we sack managers at the first sign of trouble regardless of the players they have to pick.
    Sheridans team was going down until Ameobi and Marc Bolla were added. It was the players not the manager that made the difference.
    Last year's team went down for all sorts of reasons but mainly through not replacing Ameobi, we still haven't. Until we get a similar player in we'll look rubbish and struggle to score and defend set pieces. Managers make a difference no doubt , the odd one or two are serially successful but most only prosper when a club is stable and patient with enough of a budget to be competitive.
    What Football Radar I hope are doing is running stats on future managers. We seem to do the sacking then interview for a new one rather than scout the replacement first.
    I'm really hoping it doesn't come to another sacking, ten games should be an absolute minimum and only then if we're in a relegation battle but if it does not before we've a sensible replacement lined up.

Quote Originally Posted by magicianpie View Post
    I’m not calling for Ardleys head. We cannot keep trying the same old routine, sacking manager after manager has gotten us nowhere. A few years ago a study was done on this and proved that sacking your manager makes no difference. Whilst I can understand folk saying we should have got rid of NA, we didn’t, we haven’t a clue on funds at the club and we need to stabilise. NA is our manager let’s wipe the slate clean, forget what’s happened before.

New season, new league. COYP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23724517
    It doesn't make Notts any better. We seem to get a mini-bounce, then back to the same old. It does appease those fans that throw all the toys out after a couple of bad performances. That was part of the problem that Trew and Hardy had by listening to those fans and acting out of sentiment rather than reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    It doesn't make Notts any better. We seem to get a mini-bounce, then back to the same old. It does appease those fans that throw all the toys out after a couple of bad performances. That was part of the problem that Trew and Hardy had by listening to those fans and acting out of sentiment rather than reason.
    Does anyone actually know what length of contract Ardley was given? How about Nolan and Kewellio? Is the club still paying them or did that debt become a part of Als' pay-off???

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Does anyone actually know what length of contract Ardley was given? How about Nolan and Kewellio? Is the club still paying them or did that debt become a part of Als' pay-off???
    No idea - I wouldn't be surprised if the new owners are still paying for decisions made in the Trew era.

The NA question is a simple one - is he a one trick pony?

I don't know what he did at Wimbledon but I think it's fair to say years of survival wasn't based on expansive football but more likely a war of attrition. Yes he got them promoted, but every dog can have his day.

Yesterday in interview he talked about the need for centre backs and a target man. True, but yesterday he played the centre midfield 3 who were played consistently in the run in last season. Has he not learnt? Meanwhile a young midfielder proven at this level doesn't even make the bench, in fact no alternative midfielder made the bench.

The new owners seem very progressive which is a positive thing. I don't believe Ardley has proven himself to be equally so yet. He's a nice guy, seems loyal, I hope he can rise to the challenge but if not he needs to go because he had a lot of opportunity last season and is partly responsible at least for where we are now.

I keep an eye out for Portsmouth's results and sometimes follow their social media. When they were taken over the new owners announced they had money but would grow the club slowly and not put financial stability at risk. They would spend money redeveloping the stadium, they would scout non league and Irish players, and if they sold them at a profit the money would go into the wage budget for the next 3 years, not for one year of boom or bust promotion push.

The fans were queuing up to praise this strategy of financial prudence. Portsmouth employed Kenny Jacket who is Mr Prudence personified but has a pretty good record in the lower divisions and almost got them to the play offs in his first season, got them there last season.

Needless to say, two years on the fans want Jackett out and complain that the board is ripping of the fans by not 'speculating to accumulate'.

I'm mentioning this just because it's not only Notts fans who are like this. Football fans are emotional, irrational and want to go to a match to see two hours of escapism in which their team blow the opposition away. They don't want financial stability, but that is what they actually need.

Anyway, as someone said yesterday Doyle's suspension is a blessing in disguise. Centre mid and full back are the two areas where a lack of mobility gives you no place to hide. Great player in his day but we can't have him raging against the dying of the light as an undroppable part of our midfield. Hopefully Crawford will take his chance.

Ardley has his doubters and rightly so but I think he needs time to show he can see the problems and hopefully correct them. Time doesn't mean 5 games it means this season provided we're not going down. The alternative is a new manager, ten new players (again), bloated squad (again) and we all know how that ends.

I'm not advocating sacking NA. Yet. I'll answer with a question. How long do you persevere with a losing manager?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast