+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Fulham?

Changes for Fulham?

Well it was a bit of a negative line up vrs a poor Charlton team,so it was only going to end one way.
    The new lad tosin will of had a full week training,so if he isn't in for mulgrew then questions need to be asked.
    Bennett is a good fill in for midfield if we have injuries but no please no for right back.
    Nyambe needs to come back in and if Costello is not seen as a viable option in that position then we MUST buy.
    Bell will probably keep his place because of injuries but again if hart isn't the answer then we MUST buy.
    The rest of the team I would be inclined to leave alone for the game.
    Its tricky as Fulham will be very keen to make amends for the shock result yesterday(sorry acido)do we go and keep it compact or go for the jugular of a wounded animal?Tony mowbray will probably do the complete opposite to what we think,but if mulgrew and Bennett starts then we are in for a long long season.
    There is a time for loyalty and a time for being sensible,he used loyalty last season now is the time for being sensible.

Couldn't agree more on all your points.
    As I said elsewhere I've got my Fulham ticket and knowing the Rovers absolutely anything could happen. If he does play Mulgrew amnd Bennett I might go sightseeing.

I'm being serious here. Tony Mowbray. That's what I'd change. Unless he does something drastic in the transfer market. Otherwise it's a long season ahead. I'm at a loss to explain any of his decisions. We didn't even look fit yesterday. What on earth has he and the plsyers been doing all summer? Not trying a new system or improving us in any way. We now look older and more sluggish. Because he's introduced plsyers like Downing who just aren't good enough

He introduced Johnson who was excellent and, for me, Downing did well, especially in the first half. It wasn't the new players that let us down.
    At this stage calls for Mowbray to go are just daft but, for the first time, I'm thinking of how many games he has to get it right.

End of September simple.
    August we have tough games but if the decline continues through September then would be the time to change.
    We have lost one game,ok it was a poor defeat but it's hard to see where the points will come from in August.

I'll be watching with great interest now. As it's not so much about points here. It's about performances. And if we continue to be so inept, then he would need to leave. If he keeps insisting in picking Bennett and Mulgrew and starting games with Downing then he will hasten his exit. As they simply aren't going to take us any direction other than downwards. I'm not sure he has another style. Or another way of finding ways to play. The most concerning point if yesterday, was how poor they where. And how easily they defended. Every attacking player on the pitch yesterday was woeful. How easily our game plan (if we had one?) was worked out and nulified.
    He wouldn't go now, but come Oct, if we have the start I think we will now, it would be toigh to see him being here past that.
    Who knows, we could get the rocket we need? And being fair, almost every result yesterday went the opposite way. Maybe it was just a terrible day for everyone associated with Rovers.

But I still keep going back to one thing. Play Bennett, Mulgrew etc .....And results won't turn round. As they are finished. They were last season. How a defender by trade can't see this is beyond me.
    We have a very crucial week ahead now. Not on the pitch. But in the transfer market. We are at desperate point now, and it's as crucial to get this absolute ****e out of the club. So he doesn't have the issue with feeling like he has to play Bennett. Which in itself is absolutely radiculous.

To be clear. I'm not saying he has to go because of yesterday. Any side can have an off day. This stems back to last season. When he completely lost it. And this insistence on playing plsyers like Bennett. I knew 7 days ago that he'd start with him. Because I'm starting to see how he thinks.
    And in now way am I saying I don't like Downing. He didn't cost us yesterday.
    But we have brought in a guy who wont win us games. Won't make us any better, won't create anything in open play. Won't be the person who improves us. Surley he can see Rothwell is worth starting? Or why have him around. You have to wonder, why have any air player in our club? He hasn't a clue how to use them. And would rather go with dour, than players who can take people on. Dack is simply not good enough to carry this team.

So by the time Williams returns, if they if dont go and get an actual Centre half, and Reed .....they carry on turning in displays like yesterday (which will happen if he keeps playing Bennett & Mulgrew) then by Oct he will probably be gone. As the run of fixtures is tough.

I do think we have to be careful. It was poor, but it was just one game. The line-up included several new players, most of whom had fair or better games. The rest formed the core of the good run we had at the end of last season.
    I have always thought that a lot of fans react to each game as if it tells the whole story, whereas - in reality - things often change from week to week.
    One relevant thing stuck in my mind from last season. When we played Derby in April, they were unrecognisably poor in comparison with the team we played early on. But then...they went on to miss out narrowly on promotion!
    What I mean is, football isn't as simplistic as people often make out, and it certainly ISN'T "all down to the manager". For example, did Mowbray TELL Dack to take up as many unthreatening positions as possible. Did Mowbray TELL Armstrong to stand and watch our full-backs admiringly from a distance?
    Players should not be allowed to use the manager as an excuse, but fans and the media always seem to give them that option.
    As for the thread-title, I think TM MUST react - if for no other reason than that Saturday's performance shifted a lot more supporters to the "anti" camp.
    I assume Walton is now a fixture, although I have some sympathy for Leutwiler. If we are persisting with a back four, it will surely have to be: Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Bell (by default), although even Lenihan could be dropped if judging him on that performance alone!
    Johnson and Travis have to play (but I hope Travis was watching Johnson, who was head and shoulders above the rest).
    That leaves four places, and it's a real headache, trying to guess the best combination.
    Realistically (assuming Bennett is dropped), we are looking at four from: Chapman, Downing, Buckley, Rankin-Costello, Brereton, Armstrong, Rothwell, Dack, Graham, Gallagher.
    To be honest, it's guesswork.
    Dack is probably undroppable because of his X-factor. I would go for Rothwell, because Johnson's passing is just what he needs. Graham seems to be better the more he plays, and he can always be exchanged for Gallagher after an hour.
    That leaves one. So, can we leave the midfield to Johnson and Travis alone? If yes, I might go for Brereton. If no, I would be my usual cautious self and opt for Downing, because we aren't going to get much defensive help from that more attacking front four.
    So, for me:
    Walton
    Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Bell
    Travis Johnson Downing
    Dack Rothwell
    Graham.
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 05-08-2019 at 04:20 AM.

I'm haven't put TM on the watch list because of one game. He has repeated the same mistakes over and over since he arrived and takes far too long to change.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I do think we have to be careful. It was poor, but it was just one game. The line-up included several new players, most of whom had fair or better games. The rest formed the core of the good run we had at the end of last season.
    I have always thought that a lot of fans react to each game as if it tells the whole story, whereas - in reality - things often change from week to week.
    One relevant thing stuck in my mind from last season. When we played Derby in April, they were unrecognisably poor in comparison with the team we played early on. But then...they went on to miss out narrowly on promotion!
    What I mean is, football isn't as simplistic as people often make out, and it certainly ISN'T "all down to the manager". For example, did Mowbray TELL Dack to take up as many unthreatening positions as possible. Did Mowbray TELL Armstrong to stand and watch our full-backs admiringly from a distance?
    Players should not be allowed to use the manager as an excuse, but fans and the media always seem to give them that option.
    As for the thread-title, I think TM MUST react - if for no other reason than that Saturday's performance shifted a lot more supporters to the "anti" camp.
    I assume Walton is now a fixture, although I have some sympathy for Leutwiler. If we are persisting with a back four, it will surely have to be: Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Bell (by default), although even Lenihan could be dropped if judging him on that performance alone!
    Johnson and Travis have to play (but I hope Travis was watching Johnson, who was head and shoulders above the rest).
    That leaves four places, and it's a real headache, trying to guess the best combination.
    Realistically (assuming Bennett is dropped), we are looking at four from: Chapman, Downing, Buckley, Rankin-Costello, Brereton, Armstrong, Rothwell, Dack, Graham, Gallagher.
    To be honest, it's guesswork.
    Dack is probably undroppable because of his X-factor. I would go for Rothwell, because Johnson's passing is just what he needs. Graham seems to be better the more he plays, and he can always be exchanged for Gallagher after an hour.
    That leaves one. So, can we leave the midfield to Johnson and Travis alone? If yes, I might go for Brereton. If no, I would be my usual cautious self and opt for Downing, because we aren't going to get much defensive help from that more attacking front four.
    So, for me:
    Walton
    Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Bell
    Travis Johnson Downing
    Dack Rothwell
    Graham.
    I don't think we should play with wingers. It's not worked since early last season. It's been sussed. Plus we only have one winger. Chapman. Who TM can't play. Unsure if it's because he is inept at finding an attacking system that suits us. Or his inability to see we need a creative player in the middle of the pitch. Someone like Adam who spent all pre season with us.
    Armstrong is a complete waste. Downing is ok, but will only play 10 yard safe passes. Worryingly on Sat. He didn't put one cross in. But played out wide. I get he comes inside. But he's a waste out wide. He can't affect the game. Like Armstrong. But he can't beat a man and cross a ball.
    Notice how no other side in the division plays a player like Dack where we do. It's a massive luxury. And we aren't anywhere near good enough to carry a player. Dack isn't a striker. He is a midfield player. Play him in a 4 being the furthest forward. Drop this winger formation. It's not worked in a long time. And simply doesn't suit the players we have. Dack dropping back to get the ball, because we are incapable of finding him, means our striker is isolated. Play Brereton or Armstrong just off Gallagher. One to give him some help. And two, because playing the other front man out wide just isn't working. Play 3 in midfield. In the centre. Evans and Travis. Then Johnson in front of them. Then Dack the furthest towards. Dack is a midfielder. He is creative. He's the ONLY creative player in the entire squad. But carries a goal threat. Isolating a striker and giving him no service is pointless. Play one off the other. On Sat Dack never got within 40 yards of Gallagher. Still not sure how or why Sam walked in the side? A massive contradiction. What happened to loyalty? What did Rothwell do wrong to be dropped in favour of Downing? Again, where is the loyalty?
    Yet he stays loyal to Bennett, who cost us at least one goal. And put in yet another shocking performance. It seems some players walk in? Despite not featuring much in pre season. Making a compete mockery of this loyalty card he plays so much.
    Yet the centre half from City doesn't play. Because apparently you have to be settled in before you play centre half? Eh? Run that one by me again? If takes time?
    Play here, next to Lenihan. Mark this guy in corners. That's it. This is NOT rocket science. Football is a simple dumbed down sport. Very uncomplicated. Played by pretty stupid people. Followed by pretty simple people. Let's not get carried away here. Mulgrew is finished. He was last season. This lad at City won't be the answer to our huge problems. We need 2 experienced Centre halves. Which will cost money. After watching Lenhian on Sat. I'm convinced. Williams I fear will have to play LB. Because these young lads like Bell end aren't improving. Not even in the slightest. Huge concerns over the coaching.
    And fitness is also an issue. We didn't look fit. Or organised. Johnson did well. But only for 70 mins. When we actually needed him, because our defence is possibly the worst around, after they scored, he had gone. He's too old and nowhere near fit enough to play 90 mins. So at the point we desperately needed our main men, at 2-1 down. All heads had dropped. And TM's answer to this issue? Take Travis off. And bring a ****ager on. With 15 mins to go. With all the senior players having an off day. Graham looked like a 95 year old man. What on earth did TM expect Buckley to do? He will ruin this kids confidence like he's ruined Nyambe. Like hrs ruining Rothwell. Like he's ruined Brereton.
    But sticks painfully loyal to the likes of Bennett, and Mulgrew.
    Tactically TM is nowhere near good enough. I'm looking at Monk down at Brum. Tactically better, and has more idea. Can work within a budget. And would probably leave them.
    If TM picks more sides with such poor choices. So tactically inept, and so many massive contradictions then by Oct he will likely be gone.
    Those Indians where not impressed after the way we folded for 11 games last season, after being in the play off postuind. They wanted answers. If this carries on, and it will if he doesn't go out this week and strengthen in a good few areas, we will be back questioning him. Tactically he got it wrong on Sat. Player wise he did. His subs where a joke. And backfired. And I'm looking at his summer business, and wondering, could we get pulled into a relegation fight? Quite easily.
    We have tonnes of business that need a to happen before Thurs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)