+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Burnley v Cardiff 1970/71 FA Youth Cup semi final

Burnley v Cardiff 1970/71 FA Youth Cup semi final

Anyone attend or remember this game ? The reason I am asking is because a member of Cardiff’s team back then ,by the name of Jimmy Mcinch was a member of the Bluebirds forward line at the time. He was found dead in his flat last week here in Cardiff.He was brought down from Glasgow as a promising youngster and like a lot of youngsters at the time with many clubs, was not given a proper chance and a run in the first team. The Bluebirds beat Burnley over the two legs to end up in the final against a powerful and talented Arsenal team that won the trophy. I got to know him through the local junior school as his sons and our son were there at the same time. He always spoke to me and it was good to talk Football with him. Being from Glasgow he was a staunch Celtic fan ,and told me more than once ,to go to Parkhead ,as the ground and atmosphere was first class. He eventually ended up in non league football like so many others that weren’t given a proper chance. It was a sad day last week when I learnt that he had passed away at an age just a few months older than me. RIP Jimmy. I will miss seeing you around.

I used to follow all first team games, reserve games and took in more than a few youth games in the late 60's early 70's but my memory is not what it was Malwayne, I cannot even remember the team we beat in the final one year, at a guess I'd say it was Coventry but like I say my memory fails me now.

Old age catching up with you at last Alto?

Yes I saw the game Mal, but I can't remember any of the Cardiff players, all I do remember really is expecting us to get to the final and being a miffed and disappointed that we didn't.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)