+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know Kieron Toudy ?

Anyone know Kieron Toudy ?

Seems to be a racist tool

https://twitter.com/DuaneHolmes/stat...229317/photo/1

Hopefully the word will spread.

I think the Forest fans have already taken care of this and hounded him off Twitter and Facebook.

Should know better than to perpetuate crap 1980s racist monkey jokes. At the same time the social media public shamings of tw@ts like this can create new problems too.

Sounds like Forest have banned him from the City Ground, and Derbyshire police have got involved.

I know his comment was outrageously stupid and offensive, but what does it have to do with the police? What law did he break (genuine question - I have no idea)? Can you be arrested for writing a message on Twitter that isn't actually inciting violence? What if he was actually being sarcastic (and I know he wasn't, but still)?

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Sounds like Forest have banned him from the City Ground, and Derbyshire police have got involved.

I know his comment was outrageously stupid and offensive, but what does it have to do with the police? What law did he break (genuine question - I have no idea)? Can you be arrested for writing a message on Twitter that isn't actually inciting violence? What if he was actually being sarcastic (and I know he wasn't, but still)?
    Club statement from Forest here...

https://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/n...lub-statement/

A racist insult can be a crime in itself. It doesn't have to be inciting violence, just stir up racial hatred. You could argue that "jokes" like this are not always intended to stir up hatred, but I suppose it's up to the law to decide the intent.

Incitement to Racial Hatred - Part III Public Order Act 1986
    The Act defines “racial hatred” as hatred against a group of persons defined by reference to colour, race, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origins).

For an offence to be committed under any of these sections of the Public Order Act 1986, there has to be one of the acts described therein: it has to be "threatening, abusive or insulting", and it has to be intended to or likely in all the circumstances to stir up racial hatred.

Was it Toudy tho? Someone could easily have hacked his account?

Toudy or not Toudy, that is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Unless I've missed a series of other tweets he's directed at this player, "Horrific abuse" seems a bit over the top, that's the sort of phrase you'd use to describe a serial *** offender. "Appalling comment" would have been more suitable

It's could be counted as malicious communication. It was racist in nature so could easily be classed as grossly offensive and therefore a criminal offence. It is a bit of a fluffy law though so I reckon soon it will need to be tightened.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Unless I've missed a series of other tweets he's directed at this player, "Horrific abuse" seems a bit over the top, that's the sort of phrase you'd use to describe a serial *** offender. "Appalling comment" would have been more suitable
    Yep the over reaction to this sort of thing is ridiculous.

Not as ridiculous as getting the police involved though.

Quote Originally Posted by DomdomPie View Post
    A racist insult can be a crime in itself. It doesn't have to be inciting violence, just stir up racial hatred. You could argue that "jokes" like this are not always intended to stir up hatred, but I suppose it's up to the law to decide the intent.

Incitement to Racial Hatred - Part III Public Order Act 1986
    The Act defines “racial hatred” as hatred against a group of persons defined by reference to colour, race, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origins).

For an offence to be committed under any of these sections of the Public Order Act 1986, there has to be one of the acts described therein: it has to be "threatening, abusive or insulting", and it has to be intended to or likely in all the circumstances to stir up racial hatred.
    So in theory, you can be arrested for being offensive? How does this fit alongside freedom of speech? And why do a small group of law makers get to decide what is offensive and what isn't? I'm not saying being offensive is good, but surely we should have the right to both offend and be offended (by words, obviously)?

I get that privately owned businesses (Forest, for example, or this message board) can ban people from using their facilities or services if they don't like the way people act, but I had no idea you could be deemed a criminal for saying or writing something rude.

Don't get me wrong, that Twitter message was depressingly stupid in this day and age, but the reaction seems pretty crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast