+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greg Cunningham

Greg Cunningham

Strong rumours of him in talks however we have competition.
    I really hope this happens
    Bell isn't the answer at left back.

Wow? Even before Hart has kicked a ball? He really does have no faith in our lads.
    What is the point of our academy? We can't keep asking Venkys to continue ploughing in millions every season, then when a good prospect comes through, ignore him and go get someone else in? I'd have thought Hart was plenty competition for Bell this season. Especially when you factor Williams into that aswell.
    Bell is not improving like he should be, but I still don't think he is anywhere near our worst player. A new LB leaves 2 perfectky ok players sitting around doing nothing. And still doesn't address the problems at RB and CB.

Bell simply isn't good enough and Hart unknown. LB is our weakest position and Cunningham has experience and can walk straight into the team.
    Exactly what we need.
    Jeez Champs TM can't do right for doing wrong

Quote Originally Posted by seventwo View Post
    Bell simply isn't good enough and Hart unknown. LB is our weakest position and Cunningham has experience and can walk straight into the team.
    Exactly what we need.
    Jeez Champs TM can't do right for doing wrong
    I can see that. And I think I need to chill for a while, as all I am doing is moaning.
    My own opinion, I don't feel Bell is the reason we ship goals. And I don't think he is that bad. I quite like him going forward. But I accept he isn't improving. Is anyone?
    My final say until we get a few months into this season is .....this LB as good as he is, won't stop the goals Bennett will keep shipping, and he won't improve Mulgrew. That glaring problem still exists.
    I'd say a LB will have little or no impact, while a CH with experience was something I felt we had to sort. And after Sat, a RB. All young players like Hart will remain unknown while they don't get a chance.

But time will tell.

Oh Yes the defence still needs more work. Nyambe at RB and the City kid, hopefully, at CH. A better midfield in front of them needed too. I really like the look of Johnson, best player in the squad.

Oh Yes the defence still needs more work. Nyambe at RB and the City kid, hopefully, at CH. A better midfield in front of them needed too. I really like the look of Johnson, best player in the squad.

Its all about balance. I agree about Johnson. He looked good on Sat. But playing 3 other identical player to him will mean we just wont create anything. If I was Johnson I would be worried playing in front of that defence.
    If I was Tosin, I wouldn't want to play alongside a good few of our defenders. So hopefully they settle in, and we find a system that suits these players. The current one won't.

We shouldn't forget Williams. It looks as if Cunningham and Hart are now the ones in contention for the left-back position, with Lenihan, Tosin, Williams, Mulgrew and Grayson as the centre-back options. I'm very disappointed that we didn't get Dann or Hanley, but it isn't the end of the world. (I've never been particularly bothered about Bauer, as he was another unproven choice).
    At right-back, I really do hope Nyambe is given an extended chance - without the crowd immediately getting on his back again. For his own security (if nothing else!), TM really has to give up on the idea of playing Bennett there, because of his dramatic drop in form and confidence. I am pleased to see Rankin-Costello didn't go out on loan. He will presumably will get a squad-number now, as he can be used to cover full-back and the midfield positions.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    Its all about balance. I agree about Johnson. He looked good on Sat. But playing 3 other identical player to him will mean we just wont create anything. If I was Johnson I would be worried playing in front of that defence.
    If I was Tosin, I wouldn't want to play alongside a good few of our defenders. So hopefully they settle in, and we find a system that suits these players. The current one won't.
    The good thing about Johnson is that he looks like a decent defensive player, but provides more in the way of go-forward than people like Evans, Smallwood and Lowe.
    Playing alongside him should help Travis develop the same skill-set.

It looks as if Mowbray is still going to favour THREE advanced players of various types (from Graham, Gallagher, Dack, Samuel, Brereton, Butterworth, Armstrong, Rothwell, Chapman, Gladwin). There has been some talk of Rothwell as a central play-maker, but it is pretty clear Mowbray doesn't see him in that role.
    Effectively, therefore, what we are looking at is a third midfielder.
    What are the options there (in addition to Johnson and Travis)?
    Downing, Bennett, Smallwood, Evans, Davenport, Buckley, Rankin-Costello.

Champs feels playing one of the youngsters is going to make a big difference. I'm not so sure, because Buckley and R-C would ideally both prefer a central position, but Travis and Johnson aren't going to be shifted easily.
    Smallwood, Evans and Davenport are essentially 'holding' players. Bennett is completely off his game.
    I can quite see, therefore, why Downing might be the default choice for the time being. Like Craig Conway (and Bennett at his best), he possesses that mixed skill-set of being a combination winger/covering wide-midfielder.
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 09-08-2019 at 01:48 AM.

Aucks, not sure you noticed but Mulgrew went to Wigan on loan

Aucks, not sure you noticed but Mulgrew went to Wigan on loan
    Well, I've now seen the stuff on the Telegraph, but the weird thing is, there is still no mention on the official site.
    I hope Grayson has his boots dubbined!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)