Get your very own personalised Villa Chat gifts!
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Thank god for lazy complacent ex-pro predictions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,734

    Thank god for lazy complacent ex-pro predictions

    Having read the predictions of several ex-player pundits I'm relieved to see that they have no idea what Our Team are capable of. They have all predicted that we will struggle in the Premier League and predict we will probably go down. I love that they have done this without any knowledge of the very shrewd dynamic purchases our coaching and management have put together. We have a team which excites me more than any squad we have had since 1992.
    So should any pundit wish to actually know what we have in our team, and stop predicting from the bottom of a glass of bubbly or beer, I shall try to give them the heads up...
    Firstly, we have a very strong defence full of character, grit and determination.
    We have a midfield full of goals, three disparate geniuses, all with their own significant abilities from dead ball situations and from open play. And we have a forward line of fast and intelligent wingers and a Brazilian who wants to become a football great.
    We may not be a top 6 team as of yet, but I believe that this team will be hard to beat and will score goals. This is what singles us out from most promoted teams, who usually fail not because their defence is weak, but because they can't score enough goals. We won't be struggling against relegation... There I have made a rational prediction!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    808
    I’m all with you Mon as I mentioned on another thread. I think this team/squad is easily capable of mid table and perhaps a bit higher. Glad to see someone else with a bit of optimism. There are still concerns with the forward line, El Ghazi needs to be more consistent and Jota and Wesley are unproven in the Prem and we don’t have a huge amount of depth up there should they struggle. I would accept mere survival however, even though I would be disappointed, but if it happens we need to keep the faith with DS. I firmly believe he should be in it for the long term. So no tantrums from me.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,936
    Quote Originally Posted by mondaze View Post
    Having read the predictions of several ex-player pundits I'm relieved to see that they have no idea what Our Team are capable of. They have all predicted that we will struggle in the Premier League and predict we will probably go down. I love that they have done this without any knowledge of the very shrewd dynamic purchases our coaching and management have put together. We have a team which excites me more than any squad we have had since 1992.
    So should any pundit wish to actually know what we have in our team, and stop predicting from the bottom of a glass of bubbly or beer, I shall try to give them the heads up...
    Firstly, we have a very strong defence full of character, grit and determination.
    We have a midfield full of goals, three disparate geniuses, all with their own significant abilities from dead ball situations and from open play. And we have a forward line of fast and intelligent wingers and a Brazilian who wants to become a football great.
    We may not be a top 6 team as of yet, but I believe that this team will be hard to beat and will score goals. This is what singles us out from most promoted teams, who usually fail not because their defence is weak, but because they can't score enough goals. We won't be struggling against relegation... There I have made a rational prediction!
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️👌

  4. #4
    If this team plays to its true potential then those pundits will be talking differently soon enough, there remains a question mark up front over El G and Wesley plus the lack of quality cover in that central striker role which puts the midfield under greater pressure to chip in with the goals.

    Really excited for the season ahead, we have some excellent players and Heaton was a steal!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,298
    Well today is a perfect day to show all these pundits what we are made of, get it right and of course they will mellow, get it wrong today and we will become favourites for the Big R and we will start doubting!
    As silly as it sounds, today v Bournemouth is a 6 pointer.

  6. #6
    2-0 down with 40 mins gone and having a lot of the ball but creating little in the way of clear-cut chances. Bournemouth look handy on the break, no easy games in this league - blessing in disguise. Surprised CH left out as thought he did enough vs Spurs

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,298
    Hate to say itbut the pressure is on, Everton next. God help us, 3 defeats in 3? E en a draw just to stop the rot. This wesley looks crap! Should have gone for Maupay.
    Just where is Guilbert? Why pay 17mill for a left back and not play him. I know people will say we are finding our feet but do you k ow that no win in 20 for grealish in the prem on the trot.

    Bring on the championship and go again!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,936
    Quote Originally Posted by TrianonDave View Post
    Hate to say itbut the pressure is on, Everton next. God help us, 3 defeats in 3? E en a draw just to stop the rot. This wesley looks crap! Should have gone for Maupay.
    Just where is Guilbert? Why pay 17mill for a left back and not play him. I know people will say we are finding our feet but do you k ow that no win in 20 for grealish in the prem on the trot.

    Bring on the championship and go again!
    I don't say this lightly. But, shut the **** up

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,936
    2 games in and doom merchants await. Played really well against spurs, top 4 team from last year and champions league runners up.

    Played well today, especially in the 2md half, but were undone by bad luck.

    This team has half a dozen players who have never been on a competitive pitch together before last weekend

    To say, let's start again in the championship when there are 108 points still available makes my blood boil

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    11,940
    We need 10 games to gel I reckon. It was always going to be a slow start with so many new faces.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,734
    we missed hourihane, for his deadball skills, but I'm not down-hearted we have enough to earn premier league safety, two stupid mistakes cost us, not just in the premiership but also in championship! I'm sick of the commentators saying, you can't make those sort of mistakes in the prem you will get punished... Yeah and when we did it in the championship we used to get punished too! How many goals did we give away when whelan passed to their striker? The difference between prem and championship is not about being punished for mistakes, its just about speed of thought and atheleticism. The referees are just as bad, var is a joke, and we are not yet in our pomp, when we get our swagger back, we will be fine. It's lost in the mind at the moment, we still don't quite believe we are good enough to be there. Lads, we are The Villa, we started this league, let's own it!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,298
    Quote Originally Posted by samhubball View Post
    I don't say this lightly. But, shut the **** up
    Bit Harsh Sam! Its my opinion, we fckwd up today and whether you want to hear it or Not, the pressure is on...big time. It was not bad luck, it was an idiotic decision by Heaton thats cost us. FFS giving away a penalty after 45 seconds. "Go again in the championshio" was a bit tongue in cheek and replying with STFU is not what we FEW on here are about. Christ theres little discussion on here as it is anyway!
    Do you feel good this morning Sam, are you confident going into the Everton game, realy? Im not, its a disasterous start for us, luck, we had loads v spurs, should have been 6. Grealish having his pocket pinched cost us a draw, Heaton conceding a penalty when the player was going nowhere cost at least a draw. This is not bad luck. The players need to wake up quickly. Jack is the captain, is it all too much for him. We buy 25 million of full backs and where are they? Christ everyone hated Taylor last term.
    Formation and tactics, we know smith likes attacking but can we afford to carry pasengers like Elghazi? Why drop Hourihane, i would play him n a diamond with just one winger with Jack further forward. No this aint down to Luck and really, I wont STFU!!! Im not the manager and I support him but this is the big boy league now and he needs to sort a few things out quickly or he wont be, thats football for you!
    Last edited by TrianonDave; 18-08-2019 at 07:21 AM.

  13. #13
    On Taylor - he's a decent player who has improved under DS & the coaching staff, he could well improve as he learns the Prem but El Ghazi doesn't work hard enough to protect him and that may be why he doesn't overlap. It would be the same with any other full-back, Trez on the right looks hungry to win the ball back and in both games has switched flanks so Smith is still working things out.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,023
    Maybe, it’s the dramatic way that some people, in this modern day, swing from ‘We’re top of the world’ to ‘we’re all doomed’ at the drop of a hat, that drew that response from Sam, Dave.

    As said many times by most people, context gets lost in text. In Sam’s defence, how could he possibly tell that your remarks about the Championship were tongue in cheek? I didn’t know, it certainly wasn’t obvious from the preceding or following sentences. So maybe Sam was just venting his frustration at negative comments. Bit fruity, agreed, but STFU may well of also been tongue in cheek. Like down the pub with his mates, this place is like a bar at times, banter and the odd fly away comments.

    For instance, what context was the ‘DISASTROUS” start to the season implying? Bit over the top, me thinks. Made me laugh actually, still smiling at it now as I type. Not a great start agreed, not a good start results wise either. But we are miles better than last season, and I have enough confidence to believe that we will be ok.

    I for one, ain’t panicking yet. Bring on Everton, let the dog see the rabbit.

    Onwards & Upwards, (in the context of confidence and positivity).

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,936
    Dave, my emotions were quite high after the game and it wasn't helped by reading comments by "fans" on Facebook calling for Smiths head already. The first thing I thought when we were promoted, after finishing 5th, after having no chance for most of the season until Dean came in was "I hope he is given time and a chance".

    There are things we would all do with hindsight, and there are definetoy questions regarding team selection especially with full backs, and Conor being missed out with so many set peice opportunities. And whether or not we should have got Maupay etc etc.

    But the fact is, this team has hardly played together competatively and reading the words "start again in the championship" utterly boiled my piss.

    You have every right to comment, say what you feel and have your say. And hopefully like you, I will calm down a little before posting. I don't want to fall out with anyone on this board. I've been on here for 8 years now and seen the numbers drop off. I was hoping promotion would see some of the old guard come back

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,298
    Fair play Sam, yes I know about the feelings mine was probably written too quick, I should learn to calm down before writing.
    Im certainly not calling for anyones head especially DS.
    A win on Friday and the world is a different colour.
    No hard feelings Sam. UTV

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,936
    Quote Originally Posted by TrianonDave View Post
    Fair play Sam, yes I know about the feelings mine was probably written too quick, I should learn to calm down before writing.
    Im certainly not calling for anyones head especially DS.
    A win on Friday and the world is a different colour.
    No hard feelings Sam. UTV
    Keep the faith mate ❤️

  18. #18
    We are indeed few on here these days and it's sad to see, would love to have folk return to the fray.

    I've no time for anyone who's stupid enough to call for Deano's head after buying a new squad and playing 2 competitive games, they know f'all about running a team in any workplace setting. The two defeats could be a blessing and serve as a harsh reminder that there are no easy games, my worry is that confidence can quickly evaporate on and off the pitch so I hope the vast majority stick with it & any dimwits are embarrassed into silence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •