+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Terrace culture

O/T Terrace culture

Was thinking earlier how much things have changed in the stands compared to yesteryear. What don't you see on the terraces anymore that used to be commonplace? I'll start with a few.
    Klaxon horns. These were popular in the 80s and the early 90s. I've not heard one at a match for a very long time, not that I want to, it's just strange how they just disappeared from matches completely, almost overnight.

Bog Rolls. Throwing one so that the whole thing unravelled mid air, while not snapping it was a skill which took many attempts to master. Many a bloke down at the front of the Tiv accidentally received a full bog roll to the back of the head during the learning process. I remember meeting ating up with my mates before a home game against Blackpool when we were about 14, all armed with our own toilet rolls which we'd brought from home! I have no idea why this was a thing? But its something we no longer see on the terraces .

Confetti. Or just a load of cut up paper, usually thrown into the air when the team came out or while celebrating a goal. The only reason I can think of why this was done is, it looked pretty cool from a distance. These days, ripping up a 50/50 raffle ticket or a match ticket just isn't the same spectacle as a pocket full of tiny paper cuttings. Now obsolete.

Blown up condoms. There was always a Johnny or two floating around the Tivoli end back in the day!

In the 1970s we used to take to Millmoor a Klaxon that was off an old steel mill overhead crane. Great sound , but it was quite bulky and heavy to carry around. Probably wouldn't be allowed into the NYS with it now, if we still had it. Seem to remember hearing Klaxon horns in broadcasts of European cup games on the Continent before they were popular in England, so the trend probably started in Italy (or possibly Holland or Germany).

Also , more in the 1960s - rattles.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 09-08-2019 at 05:05 AM.

The designer clothes were always a southern club thing in the 80s. The terraces of northern clubs were full of donkey jackets and pit boots.
    Makes me laugh seeing young lads in their bright colours now. As if they’ve arranged who is wearing what colour. Red, yellow, blue, purple. The look like the fecking sgt pepper lonely hearts club.

Jumping over a wall, a turnstile or running through a security gate is a lost art. Very rarely paid to get into Millmoor and coming up with new ways when we was kids was half the fun of the day.

I also remember going to Elm Park in the mid 80s and the home fans were wearing spurs, Chelsea, West Ham shirts as well as Reading colours.

The confetti came from the World Cup held in Argentina 1978. Their fans used to throw it in the huge stadiums and it looked very impressive
    England didn't qualify but Scotland did and scored one of the best ever WC goals by Archie Gemmel who went onto manager RUFC.

Dr Marten boots and Police confiscating the laces so it would be difficult to kick anyone

Bog rolls. I remember in the 70s taking the Izal from the school toilets and taking them to the game, we launched 7 at once and a guy with us attending his first game was arrested and never came again

Toilet roll is a luxury for some now
    Confetti is now 50/50 tickets

When you look back at some things, how did we get away with it? Was quite amusing at the time though which maybe because I was younger

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    I also remember going to Elm Park in the mid 80s and the home fans were wearing spurs, Chelsea, West Ham shirts as well as Reading colours.
    Where did they leave their horses?

I remember seeing some youths at Elm Park wearing Chelsea shirts. Didn't see the others mentioned though.

There was a guy who used to write messages on white bin bags that he'd pain stakingly celetaped together. They'd pop up out of the Tivoli end like a massive côck after he'd somehow filled them with air.

No one has mentioned the rattles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast