+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squad Shirt Numbers

Squad Shirt Numbers

Surprised to see they have given Drinkwater the number 8

It would seem that the players pretty much get the number they ask for. Long gone are the days when we had 1 - 11 and everybody knew their place. Was that all changed to baffle each other in the opposing teams cos no-one knew what position anyone was playing in? In fact can anyone out there tell me why the numbering system was changed? I'm blowed if I can remember !!
    BTW Drinkwater played number 8 for Leicester maybe that's his favourite number.

Quote Originally Posted by frantastic51 View Post
    It would seem that the players pretty much get the number they ask for. Long gone are the days when we had 1 - 11 and everybody knew their place. Was that all changed to baffle each other in the opposing teams cos no-one knew what position anyone was playing in? In fact can anyone out there tell me why the numbering system was changed? I'm blowed if I can remember !!
    Was always mine ( always played better in lucky 8)

Squad numbers Fran. 1-25 in the EPL, but as the squad changes you could be having a 77 or a 69!

You are a one BT!!
    I thought it was something to do with squad numbers but still can't see the point. 1 - 11 was fine. Bring it back I say.

Random numbers don't mean anything might just as well leave them off and just have the names on.
    There I've said me bit.

You are a one BT!!
    I thought it was something to do with squad numbers but still can't see the point. 1 - 11 was fine. Bring it back I say.

Random numbers don't mean anything might just as well leave them off and just have the names on.
    There I've said me bit.
    The last time I went to Arsenal we got thumped 5-0. In the programme it showed what we could choose our starting eleven from.

It was 23 names long. Arsenal's was 81!

It always amazes me that any professional footballer, on thousands of pounds a week, should give a ff what number's on his back. I suppose a centre-forward, who fancied himself as Roy of the Rovers when he was growing up, might like No 9, but it all seems a bit childish, a bit immature to me, but then when you see you the 'goal celebrations' these days, you realise they actually are mostly childish and immature anyway.

Indeed, but I reckon we'd all be happy to see a few this afternoon!!!

Indeed, but I reckon we'd all be happy to see a few this afternoon!!!
    Depends which end Fran.

And Rooney snaffles Shirt Number 32 ahead of his move to Derby County. Odd that. Or maybe it’s evens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)