+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This team

I actually think the centre halves are where we can be got at, and we need to attack teams because our strengths are in the final third, and our weakest area is the centre defence. Connolly and Reynolds aren't terrible, but press them and they will make mistakes, there is a definite lack of height in the team and centre defence for set plays (Safranko helped out at both ends). That make a significant dif in your season points wise if you are losing goals from corners etc... and not carrying a big threat from set plays. Thistle had 2 decent chances 2nd half with headers, and I don't think they are a particularly big team, and I think when teams chuck their big guys up late/set plays etc... we are vulnerable. I'd still be looking to strengthen with a tall commanding centre half, ideally comfortable on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Out of the 2 games, how many players can we say have cemented their place?

Seigrist, although i still feel has a blunder just around the corner.
    Smith and Robson really good so far, but i have concerns about Connolly and Reynolds and nobody to push them.
    Butcher does what he does.
    Shankland and Appere compliment each other too well.

After that, Stanton has been better than i expected but has competition coming in the shape of Harkes, McMullan might not get every game if he squanders chances, and Clark has too many ahead of him to get in his preferred position. Others coming back like C Smith and Pawlett should now be getting the chance, and even Sow will need games to get up to speed. Great position to be in!

"Butcher does what he does." Worrying me. I know we need dig in the centre of the park but apart from nearly getting booked every challenge , I think the game passes him by sometimes. He doesn't look like he can get close to anyone in open play. Great for a 50/50 but I'm seeing visions of Fyvie when the game starts to pass you by (unfortunately)

Thought butcher was good last night, our best January signing imo

Don't get me wrong, I like him, but there were times last night when things were getting moved quickly centrally he seemed to be in no man's land. I'd play him every week but there is something different this time. Hopefully fitness, more games might sharpen him up. He "does what he does" but what exactly is that?

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Thought butcher was good last night, our best January signing imo
    Same, he's made a huge difference to us. We used to regularly be bullied by other teams, no more.

Hopefully........ until the suspension/s

Yeats, "he does what he does" was just the best thing i could come up with to describe him being unspectacular, which is what i want from him. If he is getting noticed in a game, means he is more than likely heading for a booking!

Whilst agreeing that our central defence is a weak point, I don’t think we should put all the blame on the 2 centre halves. We are looking to the full backs to push up, leaving them isolated sometimes and means they are sometimes going to be pulled out of position.
    Ithink we also need to ensure we have midfield dropping off when centre backs are in possession to ensure they have good options.
    I sometimes think it is our movement off the ball at these moments that allows us to be closed down to easily and so they end up kicking long. If we are going to make 10yard passes in these areas, we need to be more aware of the space and have players moving quickly into them.
    When full backs push forward we need someone in midfield (butcher?) drop off to cover. Rankin used to do that well for Robbo

Quote Originally Posted by Noddydog View Post
    Whilst agreeing that our central defence is a weak point, I don’t think we should put all the blame on the 2 centre halves. We are looking to the full backs to push up, leaving them isolated sometimes and means they are sometimes going to be pulled out of position.
    Ithink we also need to ensure we have midfield dropping off when centre backs are in possession to ensure they have good options.
    I sometimes think it is our movement off the ball at these moments that allows us to be closed down to easily and so they end up kicking long. If we are going to make 10yard passes in these areas, we need to be more aware of the space and have players moving quickly into them.
    When full backs push forward we need someone in midfield (butcher?) drop off to cover. Rankin used to do that well for Robbo
    It's not really from open play the centre backs worry me, it's from set pieces. Too many free headers.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    It's not really from open play the centre backs worry me, it's from set pieces. Too many free headers.
    I thought Partick looked most dangerous on Friday when we had corner kicks. They seemed to be able to win the ball and break.

Shankland's goals are helping cover of cracks. The positives are his goals mean we are panicking less because we know we score. This breeds confidence and we can get the best out of the players and they will get better. The centre backs though are just not good enough IMO.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)