+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This team

Yeah that's a game we would have lost last year but for me there's still pieces of the jigsaw missing. Left wing, creative midfielder and defensively we need to strengthen to really be in with a shout of comfortably winning the league.

Or am i just being quite negative?

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    Yeah that's a game we would have lost last year but for me there's still pieces of the jigsaw missing. Left wing, creative midfielder and defensively we need to strengthen to really be in with a shout of comfortably winning the league.

Or am i just being quite negative?
    Not negative, just being realistic.

Having Clark out on the left just proves we have an issue there. Despite him doing well v ICT, he was anonymous on Friday, but would Banks be any different at his age or a new winger who might need weeks to get fit and settle.

Creative mid i am not sure about as we have Stanton and Harkes who are being used between that and defensive mid, and we have yet to get a good look at King.

Central defence is a worry, not just for whats on the park, but for the lack of dependable back up. We loose either of the back pair, we then go down to Watson and Frans, and i dont think either is good enough to fill in.

Something to be positive about is there is 3 weeks of the window remaining.

I agree centre half, creative mid, and winger, with priority centre def. Shut outs win you tight games. I actually think Butcher is our most important player after Shankland, only real anchor/protection in there, and physical presence in midfield. I like Stanton, but as a squad player, too inconsistent to be relied on every week. Harkes I think is the better player, hoping he will kick on this season after a bit of a dip last season after a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Yeats, "he does what he does" was just the best thing i could come up with to describe him being unspectacular, which is what i want from him. If he is getting noticed in a game, means he is more than likely heading for a booking!
    That's fair enough..... I would play him every single game simply because we have sadly lacked midfielders that won't be bullied, but sometimes wish he had more to his game. Then again it might be up to the players around him to add a wee bit more. At this moment in time if he is fit I would play Harkes alongside him, I like Stanton but think Harkes could be more consistent if Butcher is sitting deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Not negative, just being realistic.

Having Clark out on the left just proves we have an issue there. Despite him doing well v ICT, he was anonymous on Friday, but would Banks be any different at his age or a new winger who might need weeks to get fit and settle.

Creative mid i am not sure about as we have Stanton and Harkes who are being used between that and defensive mid, and we have yet to get a good look at King.

Central defence is a worry, not just for whats on the park, but for the lack of dependable back up. We loose either of the back pair, we then go down to Watson and Frans, and i dont think either is good enough to fill in.

Something to be positive about is there is 3 weeks of the window remaining.
    agree mate, anyone know what position King actually plays???

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    I agree centre half, creative mid, and winger, with priority centre def. Shut outs win you tight games. I actually think Butcher is our most important player after Shankland, only real anchor/protection in there, and physical presence in midfield. I like Stanton, but as a squad player, too inconsistent to be relied on every week. Harkes I think is the better player, hoping he will kick on this season after a bit of a dip last season after a good start.
    Love the butch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    That's fair enough..... I would play him every single game simply because we have sadly lacked midfielders that won't be bullied, but sometimes wish he had more to his game. Then again it might be up to the players around him to add a wee bit more. At this moment in time if he is fit I would play Harkes alongside him, I like Stanton but think Harkes could be more consistent if Butcher is sitting deep.
    "more to his game" - that's where I'm at with Butcher. I agree we need his TYPE in the team, I just wish he wasn't so limited in the playing department.

Really think Pawlett coming back will greatly enhance oor team on the left. Also think Harkes would add to our midfield and add more protection to oor centre halves.
    Oor bench is strong as well with players capable of coming on and capable of playing their part - like Pawlett did

Quote Originally Posted by Noddydog View Post
    Whilst agreeing that our central defence is a weak point, I don’t think we should put all the blame on the 2 centre halves. We are looking to the full backs to push up, leaving them isolated sometimes and means they are sometimes going to be pulled out of position.
    Ithink we also need to ensure we have midfield dropping off when centre backs are in possession to ensure they have good options.
    I sometimes think it is our movement off the ball at these moments that allows us to be closed down to easily and so they end up kicking long. If we are going to make 10yard passes in these areas, we need to be more aware of the space and have players moving quickly into them.
    When full backs push forward we need someone in midfield (butcher?) drop off to cover. Rankin used to do that well for Robbo
    Think you've explained it really well there about the centre backs being too far from the midfield when in possession and not having great distribution. Needs someone like Harkes to drop back a little, take that pass from the CB and start to connect play. I know it's a bad example comparing us to Italy, but the way Pirlo used to drop back for that very same ball.

Quote Originally Posted by jjaflup22 View Post
    After four years of watching absolute sh1t I think the fans have been very patient. 4000+ season tickets this year would attest to that. Personally I don't boo or shout at my own team but after watching that dross for years and paying the wages of mercenary players who didn't give a sh1t about the team I don't blame people who did. Anyway let's be positive about this great start and lay off our brilliant support who have been through more than enough.
    JJ, I don't want to get in a ping pong debate as ultimately we both want Utd to do well.
    Just to clarify I love the club and the fans but there are a few who are impatient and want success instantly. That won't erase the shambolic 4 years, however, I do understand your comments but perhaps you have read mine wrong.
    I went through the good and bad and was unhappy at ET running of the club, the new owner* should not inherit the feeling our fans had towards previous eejits.
    Let's also trust that the current management have got rid of those that don't give a damn.

My point was clearly stated in my post, if you choose to read that post in a negative way that's your perogative. If others want to take out 4 years of frustration on players by and large who are still learning that's disappointing.

What I will say is advocating an environment where its ok to shout at players because of previous owners greed is short sighted as potential signing targets who could improve the team won't come.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)