+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: So, how are you feeling?

So, how are you feeling?

Well, here we are, 1st game of the season. So how'd you feel folks?

I haven’t been nervous pre match for years. Not Wembley, I knew we’d lose to Fulham, and beat the baggies and Derby. I always believe that we can/should beat the sty dwellers too. We all knew that we were being relegated the last time well before Xmas, so no real nerves there.

But today? I’m bricking it. I woke up with 95% of me believing that we can win, but that 5% is pulling at my nerves and has already, in just 2 hours, become 60-40 (in our favour still).

I’m hoping that it’s just the return of ‘the matchday buzz’, adrenaline kicking in, things that had subconsciously had left me for the last few seasons.

This IS matchday, proper matchday!!!

It feels bloody great, how about y’all?

We have nothing to lose im not nervous at all. The media has already du bed us the new Fulham and spurs have already won 4-0 but the opening day always brings about a suprize or two so you never know.
    Norwich got battered last night by trying to play the same as they did in the championship, they did not alter their style or players....same old.
    Its all of a bit of an experiment today, as long as we stay focused, keep it tight, we may just get something from todays game??
    I would defo go 4141 and no cant predict.

I think we will play like we did last season and just hoping it will be good enough. Norwich taking a battering in the first half last night has definitely cast a few doubts about the step up in quality.

Pace!

5-0 villa... up yer bum cockerneys!

Well, what a gulf in class. Thankfully we are not competing with the likes of the top 6 for survival.

No, we’re to be judged against and competing against the next 14 club mini-league. And we’re well able to finish halfway up that.

Apart from the huge gap in quality, silly mistakes cost us. Fitness, or lack of, has been muted elsewhere, and we did seem to tire. But we won’t be playing against elite Champions League finalists every week, so we should be ok.

I don’t expect Jack to dawdle on the ball anymore, he’s a class act, and will learn from his mistakes. Wes will settle, bet he’s shell shocked this morning. Twas backs against the wall for 90 odd minutes yesterday, won’t be like that every week.

My only gripe, and it really did concern and embarrass me, was our diving. Have a word management!!! We lose possession when diving, and these teams punish you at the drop of a hat. Our front 3 were doing it all game, screaming for a foul, rolling around and coughing up the ball. Lying on the floor, out of the game, no use to anybody!!

Onto the next one with more positives than negatives.

Onward & Upwards.

Spot om ExV. Even Lord sugar asked why so many villa players were on the floor!
    We missed our big chance while 1-0 up, Tresequet cut in side and a poor shot, could have been 2-0 but the way the game panned out we would have still lost.
    It was always going to be spurs day, the stadium thing, at home, new star player in Ndembele at 54 million.
    Tough ask, cant help we threw it away having defended for the entire 2nd half.
    Im sure survival will depend on our Home form and we have a full house v Bournemouth next week to put it right and shut a few people up.
    Ps i would have to question the omission of Guilbert and Targett and maybe Smith should have gone for Luiz from the start with Conor moving forward as, he is not a holding midfielder!
    Licking the wounds today but the Lion will Roar again....
    Last edited by TrianonDave; 11-08-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Well like others have said it was a big step up n a bit of a harsh lesson for a few.. including jack for messing about with ball like that.. I wasn’t impressed with how easy some of our lads went down either tbh especially Wes in first half, think he had a talking too at half time though as he was better second half.. if I’m totally honest it’s stroker position that worry’s me most..

All in all onwards and upwards n all that

Oh and I was proper nervous before the game, necking lagers like they was going out of fashion 😂

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)