+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Owls v Reds Match Day Thread

Goalkeeper really ok Animal. I’d let him get some more experience behind the new defenders. I’d play the same team as today. We need to learn to play better together. Swapping and changing won’t help them settle as a side.
    Same 18 for me.

One thing seems perfectly clear there isn't a plan B .

The team will live and die by this system , high press and play out from the back come what may .

Some days it will work as it did last saturday and some days it won't like this afternoon .

If we survive this season which I think we will then in year two we will be a better team for it .

Once we start fecking about with our system and philosophy we aren't going anywhere at this level .

We are all going to have to accept the feck ups for the greater good I feel , I take the point an old head or two would have greatly helped this group but that isn't the clubs way , rightly or wrongly .

In my opinion this isn't Hecky territory of two years ago , we have an identity and a method and the players recruited were recruited to play this way .

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Goalkeeper really ok Animal. I’d let him get some more experience behind the new defenders. I’d play the same team as today. We need to learn to play better together. Swapping and changing won’t help them settle as a side.
    Same 18 for me.
    Just my opinion Jules but I feel the training ground is where its at with a new group and a home game against League Two opposition gives Stendel the perfect opportunity to assess the depth of the squad .

A confidence winning performance ( Or a tough loss) against Carlisle, who will be up for it may increase confidence. They’ll be hurting tonight.... I’ve a feeling that he will stick with the team he’s set up with today and last Saturday, as he didn’t “Tinker” much last season really unless injuries dictated. It’s a difficult call really. I totally agree with your comment that if we can survive, then we will get stronger. Especially if we can keep the squad together.....
    We didnt charge out of the blocks last season, gradual progress up the league as we came to terms with it, (even if it was a lower league) and at times last year we struggled, ( Coventry amd Shrewsbury away)and we adapted and got better. Today was poor, but there is learning to do.... Today’s learning for me is “When you pass, make sure it is a completed one” We didn’t complete enough passes, and the distribution into space was not good enough.
    Wilks and Thomas were bullied too much off the ball.
    Anderson missed too many headers, and they picked up too many loose balls.....
    60 odd percent of possession...... two or three chances.
    Wednesday weren’t world beaters, they deserved to win. We can learn from this today, forget it’s a local rival..... it’s a bit of education.
    We will get stronger, and maybe it’s not a bad thing we were brought down to earth a bit.... It’ll make them more determined....

Today's defeat hurts more than it should because it's against those A holes from S6 .

If we'd had lost today at WBA or Derby it wouldn't have felt so bad .

Shrug it off guys those ****s at Hillsborough won't define our season .

few thoughts from today....
    radlinger looks a decent shot stopper.
    the defenders got away with bringing the ball out of defence last week, yet gave us all heart attacks today and invited so much pressure on the team by pissing about with the ball in their own area.
    everything that went well last week, went wrong today.
    what the hell were cavare and sibbick doing at full back today? truly awful. cavare wanders upfield forgetting his positioning. their wingers roasted the pair when it should have been thomas and wilks doing it to them.
    woodrow had 2 poor games in this system but then he isnt getting any decent service.
    we are too naive in games when it comes to manipulating the ref. in this league and prem, players know how to win free kicks in 50/50 situations where our lads, bless em want to win the ball or stay on their feet. dont get me wrong, i hate divers but i lost count of how many times their players felt a touch, went down and won the free kick. happened all over pitch.
    clearly going to be a big learning curve this season in so many ways but its not games against the top 6 that defines our season, its games like charlton and luton at home that will. must win games.

Sounds like we were lucky to only lose 2-0 ,

There were too many players bunched up on the ball and getting in each others way DS will have to sort this out quickly

Quote Originally Posted by manc_tyke View Post
    few thoughts from today....
    radlinger looks a decent shot stopper.
    the defenders got away with bringing the ball out of defence last week, yet gave us all heart attacks today and invited so much pressure on the team by pissing about with the ball in their own area.
    everything that went well last week, went wrong today.
    what the hell were cavare and sibbick doing at full back today? truly awful. cavare wanders upfield forgetting his positioning. their wingers roasted the pair when it should have been thomas and wilks doing it to them.
    woodrow had 2 poor games in this system but then he isnt getting any decent service.
    we are too naive in games when it comes to manipulating the ref. in this league and prem, players know how to win free kicks in 50/50 situations where our lads, bless em want to win the ball or stay on their feet. dont get me wrong, i hate divers but i lost count of how many times their players felt a touch, went down and won the free kick. happened all over pitch.
    clearly going to be a big learning curve this season in so many ways but its not games against the top 6 that defines our season, its games like charlton and luton at home that will. must win games.
    Good post Manc and I agree we have to learn and learn quickly .

What we can't do is put championship fires out and throw away our philosophy , we have an identity and a method that given fair wind will get us a foothold at this level .

Under Cryne we jumped from one method to another with no long term strategy , we survived at this level by the skin of our teeth most seasons but it eventually did catch up with us .

If you look at Brentford as a model who sell but recruit well and improve themselves to such an extent they are never in the the position of fighting relegation these days then to me that is where we need to be looking at .

Stick to our principles , today was disappointing but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water .

Given the model it's not just the right way at this level it's the only way we can get a significant foothold in the championship .

“Given the model it's not just the right way at this level it's the only way we can get a significant foothold in the championship .”

Absolutely, Play our system, it will reward us. At the minute we have 6 Players learning it. Early days. Plenty of time to improve. Stick with it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast