+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Betting

Betting

Call me an old fart (or worse), but am watching Transformers, on CH4 and every ad break is filled with ads, mostly for betting channels. Anybody else pi55ed that our club accepts sponsorship from an organisation the preys on people's frailty, inadequacy and lack of self-discipline?

Maybe, maybe not

And yes, I know other clubs take their 30 pieces if silver from the devil's silver, but many don't. Why should we?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Call me an old fart (or worse), but am watching Transformers, on CH4 and every ad break is filled with ads, mostly for betting channels. Anybody else pi55ed that our club accepts sponsorship from an organisation the preys on people's frailty, inadequacy and lack of self-discipline?

Maybe, maybe not

And yes, I know other clubs take their 30 pieces if silver from the devil's silver, but many don't. Why should we?
    Did you bring this up in 2006/7 when bet 24 sponsored us or strongbow, ( Promoting alcohol), same **** really, Its just business cant see a problem myself. Same as everything in life, if people want to drink they will, if people want to bet they will, regardless of the shirt.

Maybe, maybe not

Think the issue is wider than just our club they just look at the commercial reality and if other clubs etc are doing it. The issue of how, why, where and when gambling organisations can advertise is a matter for central government. New Labour lifted many of the previous strict restrictions in the early 2000s culminating in the current Gambling Act.

i am sure if the likes of British Airways were willing to pay more the club would have their logo on our shirts instead ....

if it is lawful and legal very hard for a club to impose its own morality to that too - where do you draw that line.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Think the issue is wider than just our club they just look at the commercial reality and if other clubs etc are doing it. The issue of how, why, where and when gambling organisations can advertise is a matter for central government. New Labour lifted many of the previous strict restrictions in the early 2000s culminating in the current Gambling Act.

i am sure if the likes of British Airways were willing to pay more the club would have their logo on our shirts instead ....

if it is lawful and legal very hard for a club to impose its own morality to that too - where do you draw that line.
    Accept all that is said about it being legal etc, and that commercial realities dictate what goes on the shirt, no argument there at all. Nor that we have had other things/services that some might see as questionable (and no Pete, I didn't bring this up in 2006/7 cos I didn't know this board existed then!&#128521.

I suppose it's me being naive (again), wishing the club could find an alternative sponsor that does have such connotations (like the insurer that we had links to).

Ironic that towards the end of the film there was an ad break featuring Paddypower and their campaign to take their logo off the shirt of clubs they sponsor. Not exactly what I'm talking about of course, but nice to get the shirt back to where it was before sponsorship came along.

Accept all that is said about it being legal etc, and that commercial realities dictate what goes on the shirt, no argument there at all. Nor that we have had other things/services that some might see as questionable (and no Pete, I didn't bring this up in 2006/7 cos I didn't know this board existed then!&#128521.

I suppose it's me being naive (again), wishing the club could find an alternative sponsor that does have such connotations (like the insurer that we had links to).

Ironic that towards the end of the film there was an ad break featuring Paddypower and their campaign to take their logo off the shirt of clubs they sponsor. Not exactly what I'm talking about of course, but nice to get the shirt back to where it was before sponsorship came along.

Hear and understand what what you are saying just think that genie is out of the bottle. Sports and betting have become almost integral so clubs are attractive sponsorship targets. Unfortunately, money talks and in this league we need the money and I suspect don’t have that many options for the money we are getting paid in return.

anyone think theres a conflict of interest when 32red can buy Rooney for Derby, but not for Leeds, despite us having the same shighte on our shirt?

Maybe, maybe not

Could be worse here in oz we are bombarded with Funeral Insurance ads. A lot of sports clubs here used to have a betting agency as sponsors but quickly went away from them.

Maybe, maybe not

YOU OLD FART!

I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by asturianblanco View Post
    anyone think theres a conflict of interest when 32red can buy Rooney for Derby, but not for Leeds, despite us having the same shighte on our shirt?
    Derby cheating and getting away with it..again!

Is it just me or does anyone else get this urge to smack Mel Morris one in the chops every time the specky 4 eyed slimey b@stard appears on the telly?

Quote Originally Posted by leedsutdman View Post
    YOU OLD FART!

I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth!
    Guess I asked for that!😉

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)