Get your very own personalised The Gelderd End gifts!
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Goalkeepers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    983

    Goalkeepers

    Goalkeepers in general, ours more so, seem intent at corners to stay rooted to their line, this enables everyone to be crowded in the 6 yard box and goals let in like yesterday, there was a time when the keeper owned the 6yard box, anything in that was his, keepers like grobbelar etc would come for the corner and catch it or punch clear, anyone in the way would get clattered, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like to see a keeper command the box.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,393
    Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    Goalkeepers in general, ours more so, seem intent at corners to stay rooted to their line, this enables everyone to be crowded in the 6 yard box and goals let in like yesterday, there was a time when the keeper owned the 6yard box, anything in that was his, keepers like grobbelar etc would come for the corner and catch it or punch clear, anyone in the way would get clattered, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like to see a keeper command the box.
    Amen!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,513
    The ball from a corner kick should never be allowed to bounce in the 6 yard box.

  4. #4
    As an ex-amateur 'keeper I fully agree with the OP. Also letting one in at the near post, Like Bristol City's goal, is a criminal offence. And for God's sake please catch the ball more and stop the flapping and pushing out to opposing forwards. That's all keepers not just ours.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,858
    Also an ex keeper. The games different today but in my playing days many moons ago I let people know that anything I could get to was mine. After you hammer a couple of players going for balls they start to think about it. You can't own much more than your 6 yards box but you can put some hurt on that area. they start to realize that you are serious about owning it. Keeps are often a little bigger than most of the players crowding the box and they have the momentum going after the ball vs receiving it.

    Another thingthat goes on that was maddening was the clowns that would step in front of you when clearing a ball. Years ago I punted one right into the strikers face. He was knocked out cold and that word got out. Never had much of a problem after that. didn't even draw a penalty but would have been worth it for the impact it had over the rest of the season.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    859
    Would you agree or disagree that there is a different etiquette on challenging goalkeepers depending on the league/country they play in?

    I kind of thought that in Spain for example, they are more reluctant to challenge a keeper/risk making contact for a 50/50 ball (from a corner for example) than in the championship/UK?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    983
    To be honest I've always felt that keepers today are over protected, you can't even jump fairly with them, jack Charlton would be fuming

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,393
    And now the great white hope sounds off about missing Real Madrid!!!

    https://tbrfootball.com/kiko-casilla...ng-leeds-move/

    "Asked whether he missed his former side, Casilla explained that after playing for Madrid for so long that it was inevitable he was going to miss them – and stated that he does not know whether he could rejoin them in the future.

    “When you leave a club that you have loved so much and in which you have felt loved, you always miss it, you always wish the club the best and you are one more fan,” Casilla said. About a return, he said: “I don’t know, hopefully.”"

    And he played sooooooo often for that wonderful club that treated him so well????

    He can f00k off back, the sooner the better.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9,241
    Our keeper is sh1t..the weak link..amazed we did not get one in last TW considering how useless Casilla was back end of last season and has proved this season he's still as useless (if not worse).

    Sometimes the mind boggles..just what the f*ck does he do to keep his place and still pick up a wage

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9,241
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    And now the great white hope sounds off about missing Real Madrid!!!

    https://tbrfootball.com/kiko-casilla...ng-leeds-move/

    "Asked whether he missed his former side, Casilla explained that after playing for Madrid for so long that it was inevitable he was going to miss them – and stated that he does not know whether he could rejoin them in the future.

    “When you leave a club that you have loved so much and in which you have felt loved, you always miss it, you always wish the club the best and you are one more fan,” Casilla said. About a return, he said: “I don’t know, hopefully.”"

    And he played sooooooo often for that wonderful club that treated him so well????

    He can f00k off back, the sooner the better.

    Lets start a go fund me page and raise the cash for is plane ride home

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    Lets start a go fund me page and raise the cash for is plane ride home
    I'll chip in a £1

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    983
    I'll drive the taxi to the airport😂😂

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •