+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In talks with a target man

In talks with a target man

Any ideas who it is? We should of got Akinde last year

In truth we need two target men for the squad, to provide competition and cover, because it's such a crucial position to the success of the rest of the team in this league, but one is a start. Based on yesterday's evidence we perhaps could have spent the money on Nathan Tyson differently. When we got rid of 35-year old Jon Stead I didn't expect us to recruit someone two years older!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    In truth we need two target men for the squad, to provide competition and cover, because it's such a crucial position to the success of the rest of the team in this league, but one is a start. Based on yesterday's evidence we perhaps could have spent the money on Nathan Tyson differently. When we got rid of 35-year old Jon Stead I didn't expect us to recruit someone two years older!
    Actually of the 2, I think Stead just about shades it. Better touch and awareness in and around the box, tho it's difficult to judge at the mo cos we very rarely get anywhere near there.

TBH someone of Facey’s quality would be good enough to play with Dennis. Nothing fancy needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinola View Post
    TBH someone of Facey’s quality would be good enough to play with Dennis. Nothing fancy needed.
    Delroy Chasey on the face.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Delroy Chasey on the face.
    I miss Colin...

I don't see a massive need for one nor do i think it's going to fix our problem of not actually having a style of play. People keep going on about needing one but look at the goals we've conceded so far this season in our draw and 2 defeats... None of them were scored by target men or even assisted by them, in fact, I'm not even sure big strikers have played a part in any goal we've conceded so far. It's been defenders scoring from set pieces, Akinola running through on goal and a great individual run by the Stockport player.

The way we set up to defend set pieces is awful imo, we have some players defending zonally and some man marking and it tends to be our bigger players doing zonal and then players like Mitch Rose, Enzio and Michael Doyle man marking the big threats, it's bizarre and clearly, it isn't working, just like it didn't last season despite it being an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    better touch and awareness in and around the box.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    I don't see a massive need for one nor do i think it's going to fix our problem of not actually having a style of play. People keep going on about needing one but look at the goals we've conceded so far this season in our draw and 2 defeats... None of them were scored by target men or even assisted by them, in fact, I'm not even sure big strikers have played a part in any goal we've conceded so far. It's been defenders scoring from set pieces, Akinola running through on goal and a great individual run by the Stockport player.

The way we set up to defend set pieces is awful imo, we have some players defending zonally and some man marking and it tends to be our bigger players doing zonal and then players like Mitch Rose, Enzio and Michael Doyle man marking the big threats, it's bizarre and clearly, it isn't working, just like it didn't last season despite it being an issue.
    Barnet showed that Conference CBs - usually very big and cumbersome - are much less comfortable playing up against quicker, skilful strikers who force them to move around, than another lump who is a similar size to them. All providing they get the right service of course, which is our real issue.

Also - unless things have changed quickly I don’t think this potential new striker is a targetman. Wes Thomas was the name mentioned last week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast