+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Var!

Var!

As far as I'm concerned VAR is ruining the game. It's taking all the spontaneity, discussion, passion and instant jubilation out of the game. For example, over the week-end Sterling was judged to be offside by fractions. Yes, technically he was offside but how could any ref. have judged that and I don't think that anybody could moan at the ref. whichever way the decision had gone. The same could be said about the disallowed goal Wolves scored against Leicester.
    Players make mistakes and so do refs. I believe that the ref. shouldn't refer any decision and that VAR should inform the ref. only if an obvious mistake has been made. If it is close just go with the ref's. decision. In the present format I can only see it stopping the flow of the game and causing more problems than it will solve.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    As far as I'm concerned VAR is ruining the game. It's taking all the spontaneity, discussion, passion and instant jubilation out of the game. For example, over the week-end Sterling was judged to be offside by fractions. Yes, technically he was offside but how could any ref. have judged that and I don't think that anybody could moan at the ref. whichever way the decision had gone. The same could be said about the disallowed goal Wolves scored against Leicester.
    Players make mistakes and so do refs. I believe that the ref. shouldn't refer any decision and that VAR should inform the ref. only if an obvious mistake has been made. If it is close just go with the ref's. decision. In the present format I can only see it stopping the flow of the game and causing more problems than it will solve.
    if the ref stays alert during the game,and I think he should rely on his assistants more no need for var,concering the wolves goal it was clearly hand ball as all could see.

If you’ve got a big c o c k and the ball strikes it on the way in can it be given as offside if said “Hampton” is beyond the last defender?

Asking for a friend.

Obviously!!

VAR has saved me a few quid...I was going to resume my Sky Sports subscription last Sunday after my usual summer break.But having watched MOTD on Sunday morning,and the VAR muppetry,my failing passion for the game is now finally extinguished...I'm done with footy off to find "watching paint dry" videos on Youtube now

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    VAR has saved me a few quid...I was going to resume my Sky Sports subscription last Sunday after my usual summer break.But having watched MOTD on Sunday morning,and the VAR muppetry,my failing passion for the game is now finally extinguished...I'm done with footy off to find "watching paint dry" videos on Youtube now
    That's me too greyhound, no interest whatsoever. Eggchasing is getting more of interest to me than football these days and cricket has always been top priority.

Remember when we played Rotherham in 2002? We "scored" a perfectly good goal, the defender actually kicked it out of the back of the net. Everyone in the ground saw it..apart from the ref.
    That could have cost us promotion, as it was it went to the last game of the season and we pipped wolves at the death. But i still shudder when i think our whole recent history could have been changed because a referee was looking the other way.

I saw the wolves incident and no way was that a penalty. I would have been gutted by that if i was a wolves fan. But the fault lies with the interpretation of the rules and not with VAR.
    Common sense should dictate in those circumstances.

Why don’t they have a refs call system like the umpires call in cricket.

Many a time the VAR equivalent in cricket still just about shows the outside of the wickets being hit but as it is so close they go with umpires call. Surely something similar could easily be introduced rather than decisions being altered based on millimetres or one pixel.

Difficult enough to score goals without them being ruled offside when they are so close and it is not an obvious error by the officials. Fan of getting the right decision and VAR but not the system we have at present which is too much in favour of the defending side.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)